No announcement yet.

Changes in Balance and Mobility After Acute Aerobic Exercise in Adults with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes in Balance and Mobility After Acute Aerobic Exercise in Adults with MS

Int J MS Care. 2020 Jan-Feb; 22(1): 1–6.
    doi: 10.7224/1537-2073.2018-073
    PMCID: PMC7041613
    PMID: 32123522

Using Body-Worn Sensors to Detect Changes in Balance and Mobility After Acute Aerobic Exercise in Adults with Multiple Sclerosis

Susan L. Kasser, PhD,corresponding author Jesse V. Jacobs, PhD, Jeremy Sibold, EdD, Avery Marcus, BS, and Laurel Cole, BS

Abstract

Background:
    Current mobility and functional assessments do not capture the subtle changes in balance and gait that may predispose people with multiple sclerosis (MS) to falling. The purpose of this study was to use clinical and instrumented measures to examine the effects of an acute bout of aerobic exercise on balance and gait in individuals with MS.

Methods:
    Ten adults with MS performed 15 minutes of moderate-intensity recumbent cycling or 15 minutes of rest. Exercise and rest visit order was randomized and separated by 1 week. Balance and mobility were assessed before, immediately after, and 2 hours after each test condition.

Results:
    There were no significant differences across measurement periods for Timed 25-Foot Walk test times or Brief Balance Evaluation Systems Test scores. Significant improvements in mean sway radius and sway velocity when standing on foam and in percentage of stance stride time variability were found immediately after exercise compared with immediately after rest.

Conclusions:
    This study lends further evidence that individuals with MS can safely engage in single bouts of aerobic exercise without detrimental short-term effects on function and may actually receive some short-term benefit regarding standing postural sway and gait variability. Future research should examine the dose-dependent relationship of varying types, intensities, or timing of exercise necessary to elicit short-term functional benefit and long-term health outcomes.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

I recognize that we are all different, but I don't match this at all. In fact my wife and I have joked with the neuro that she's going to drop me at the highway and make me walk to his office, the clinical exam would be a lot different than when I sit in the car for an hour and wait in his office for another.

About 20 mins into my hikes with the dog, I'm leaning heavily on my walking sticks to stay vertical. I do it for long term health, it wrecks me in the short term.

Comment

Working...
    X