Ultralight, ultra-compactible trekking poles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultralight, ultra-compactible trekking poles

Black Diamond has recently released their Z-Poles, carbon fiber trekking poles that are both ultralight (a scant 10 oz for the pair) and ultra-compactible (17" folded). They also pop open and collapse with a push of a button—no screwing, no clipping. These might be the best poles on the market for MSers (hands down by first glance), but they come at a price: $149.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com...trekking-pole/
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

A few other ActiveMSers have tested the Z-Pole and it's been all aces. After finally getting the opportunity to personally test them, I am impressed, especially at how convenient they are to deploy.

http://www.activemsers.org/gear/revi...kingpoles.html

A couple of years ago I bought a set of poles by Black Diamond called Z Poles. They fold into three sections and fit in a bag about 18 inches long. I bought them for a trip to Australia and could take them in my carry on on flights in Canada, through the USA (and the TSA) and in Australia.

The poles were very good and I did some medium uphill walking with a group. They are quite stable but not as stiff as solid poles. There is a slight click sensation when you touch them to the ground using them because no folding mechanism is going to be perfectly tight. Because of the design there is no shock absorber. Note that I am about 5’11” (and shrinking), age 66, and weight about 215 lb.

I used them in gardens and long walks as well. Very light. People stopped me a couple of times to ask about them, particularly when they saw me unfolding them.

I used them in some limestone caves in Australia where you are not allowed to touch anything. I said I had a medical need and they said that was okay so long as I did not gesture with them and endanger the limestone formations.

Hope you find this useful.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
    X