ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > MS Fitness

Old 02-08-2018, 08:06 PM

Bravo Larry I can’t see myself ride with so much wind! I ride in the forest and I can ear the wind in the trees top but don’t feel it.
It is like spring those last couple weeks and I have done 2 good rides this week. Those are my regular 12 miles with 1200 feet gain. Tomorrow is my first full dose of Ocrevus so I excited to see if I improve little more. Alain
Old 02-16-2018, 12:39 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

We finally got our first decent rain of the year along with mountain snows. A bit too late for our local ski hill. The 12" isn't near enough to open the whole mountain, which means closing for the season is in the cards. Biking has been great, though.

Got in 10 miles the other day but I needed help and patience. Before I left, my right rear was flat, but slime usually plugs that leak. Oops. After filling the tire (usually Laura's job) I forgot to spin the wheel. Needless to say, I flatted midway on my ride at the very moment all bike commuters were nowhere to be seen. Recreational cyclists tried to come to the rescue, but they didn't know how to work their bike pumps. Eventually I got it inflated and made it home before sunset.

Hope to go for a ride today! We'll see if the tire holds up. Might have to replace it....
Old 02-17-2018, 03:07 PM
MS Yoda

The weather hasn't been conducive to riding lately, cold and windy with a scattering of snow every three or four days. I did get one pretty good ride in, 50 miles that included a few short hills but mostly flat trail.

I am keeping up with the weight work twice a week, yoga twice a week and an occasional walk or elliptical session, other than that though, not a lot going on here. Really need some better weather.

I occasionally attend a "Men with MS" group meeting, went to one about a week ago. I've watched one of the guys there, diagnosed 6 or 8 years ago, decline rapidly from an aggressive case of MS. He started Rituxan sometime last year and his disability has already diminished from nearly wheel chair bound to walking with a cane, the most impressive recovery I've ever personally witnessed. He readily emphasizes that he pushes himself hard physically too.

Personally, I have noticed a lot of small improvements also, which taken together, have improved my strength if not my balance or endurance. I really hope the Ocrevus/Rituxan therapy works for you guys.

Later,
Larry
Old 02-22-2018, 01:19 PM
MS Gladiator

The weather was in the upper 70s here and it was NOT pouring for 2 days in a row and I got 3 mile walks in each day. I wish I was walking faster (18:25/mile pace yesterday) but that doesn't seem to be happening..but oh well!

Other than that I have stepped up my intensity on the bike, so I have been reducing bike days and increasing rest days
Old 02-25-2018, 07:00 PM
MS Gladiator

Hello to all,

I love all the posts and a big thank you to Dave for making these exchanges possible.

Recovery continues. Presently, working at my local Y with 3 exceptional trainers 4 times a week. Also, in the pool 1-3x weekly. Standing straighter, taking a few steps, back at work and just had an interview for an interesting research job on the use of medical marijuana. So, I would have to say, I am so grateful and give thanks to the universe for my life.

Take good care all and congratulations to all for the hard work and perseverance.

Teena Marie
Old 03-02-2018, 12:38 PM
MS Warrior

Teena Marie, always so happy to see your recent posts, and thrilled that you are getting your routine back, albeit still in active recovery. Job interview sounds very interesting, indeed!

Everyone else's recent posts have helped me get back some motivation that I have lost since the start of the year. Upon my return from Colorado mid Jan, I got that dastardly "cold" that was going around. Really did a number on me for 4 weeks. Asthma and bronchitis put the kibosh on much exercise. I maintained my stretching and some balance exercises, but really was off my game for weeks on end. Just in the past 10 days I have been able to get back into a consistant routine again. Back to yoga two weeks ago...first since that New Year's Day class. Boy, it feels good to be active again! Been back on the trike trainer a few times a week, starting up my upper body work more consistantly, and have ramped up my core work abit, and the exercises I do to focus on my right hip strength. And getting back to the treadmill and have already been able to add minutes to this work. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly it has been coming back to me. I think that I had "enough gas in my tank' so to speak to get me through the inactive time.

I've started to also ramp up my research on what e-assist I am getting for the trike. I have issues with the cost of a Bionx, plus not sure where that battery would go...if on the boom, it might cause more havoc for me with my knee caving in issues...and it would be too top heavy to put on a rack above my 700c wheel. I think I have settled on a Bafang 500w system. Saw a post on the Recumbent Trikes page from facebook, and after reading comments, I called Utah Trikes ( The GURUS of recumbent trikes...) and had a very good talk with one of the guys about e-assists in general. The Bafang will save me about $1K....and installation doesn't involve the boom. I am hoping it'll be what I need to get more miles in, and more enjoyment out of my rides. AND I can finally enjoy riding with my two wheeling friends. Anyone here have one?

Of course I write this as we are having the most wacky weather of very wet snow and wind.....supposely we are getting a foot of the stuff. Good for skiing! Got to use an iSki Bike recently at a ski area about 70 miles south of here. It really is the way I am going....just so much fun.. I've managed to get my mountain to allow these, so I am hopeful that next season I will be able to ski much more often, and without the immense fear that I have had with the 4 tracking these past three years. If the snow holds, I plan on getting up to Cannon Mountain in New Hampshire at the end of the season for one more run as I now have a contact there with two of these magnificent inventions.

Thanks for the kick in the pants, everyone!
Old 03-02-2018, 06:59 PM

Go for it Veronica! You will love it, I promise. It is also safer because you can get out of the way like at a “orange” light with a little turbo magic. Good luck.
Alain
Old 03-12-2018, 01:41 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Veronica, the e-bike boost sounds intriguing. That would certainly be helpful even with my arm bike for hills. Or for hot afternoons if I bonk and need a little assist. But yeah, I've noticed they are not inexpensive. I might consider it with my next bike.

Getting out on the trail regularly, which will be even easier in the evening with daylight savings. Now it's easy to spin a dozen miles after work with Laura. The only potential hiccup is now I know lots of folks on the trail, and many want to say hi and chat. But I gotta crank!

Keep up the great work, everyone.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:59 PM

Default Getting motivated.

Here in Winnipeg there’s still lots of snow and the rivers are still frozen, and it’s been tough keeping up with gym routine, I so much prefer being outside! So to help with motivation I have signed up for the “Pain in the Assiniboine” urban adventure race Sunday, June 24th. Consists of a 32 km bike ride then jump in my kayak and paddle back to the start along the Assiniboine river, will be raising awareness and fundraising along the way as well

The race http://http://www.swampdonkeyar.com/pita/

Fundraising http://mssoc.convio.net/goto/KarenPITA

Does anyone else use Strava? Do we have an ActiveMSers group on Strava?

Cheers from “Winterpeg”
Old 03-15-2018, 10:40 AM
MS Yoda

Just back from a couple of weeks of beach time in Florida. About 3 weeks ago we got 6 inches of snow then the temp turned way down and stayed there and I got the same head and chest crud Veronica had so the wife and I packed up and went south.

I am back and well now though and the real training for the Triple Bypass is starting. The schedule is 4 days a week of riding. Two easy days during the week and two back to back hard days on the weekends. It starts out easy but the escalation of time on the bike on the back to back days looks brutal. At any rate, I'm excited and ready to get going!

Cl3me, I like the strava idea, I'll see if I can resurrect my account. I had to get off of all of the online stuff because no one supported my computer system but I've fixed that now. My first ride is Sunday, I'll try to post it. I think Marina might be on there too.

Veronica, the weather back there! Hope your getting some slope time in.

TM, always love hearing from you, and really would like to know if you get the "Medical Marijuana" job (that term always sounded like an advertising jingle to me.)

Dave and Alain and Marina, good to see you're hanging in as always and hope you start seeing some benefit from the Ocrevus.

Later guys,

Larry