Why MSers should never use the phone (text, call, etc.) while driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why MSers should never use the phone (text, call, etc.) while driving

It's a good rule to follow. Even minor cog issues can have major consequences. It's not worth the risk. - D

Distraction adds to the cognitive burden in multiple sclerosis

Viral P Patel Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada/University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada

Aaron Zambrana Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Ottawa, ON, Canada

Lisa AS Walker Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Ottawa, ON, Canada/University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada/Carleton University, Ottawa, ON, Canada

Nathan Herrmann Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada/University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada

Anthony Feinstein⇑ Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada/University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada

•Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, ON M4N 3M5, Canada.

Abstract

Background: Cognitive dysfunction in multiple sclerosis (MS) causes numerous limitations in activities of daily living.

Objectives: To develop an improved method of cognitive assessment in people with MS using novel real-world distracters.

Methods: A sample of 99 people with MS and 55 demographically matched healthy controls underwent testing with the Minimal Assessment of Cognitive Functioning in Multiple Sclerosis (MACFIMS) and a modified version of the computerized Symbol Digit Modalities Test (c-SDMT). Half of the subjects completed the c-SDMT with built-in real-world distracters and half without.

Results: The mean time on the c-SDMT was significantly greater in MS subjects than healthy controls for both distracter (p = 0.001) and non-distracter (p < 0.001) versions. Significantly more MS subjects were impaired on the c-SDMT with distracters than the traditional SDMT (47.1% vs 30.3%, p = 0.04). There were no differences in impairment between the c-SDMT with and without distracters (47.1% vs 37.5%, p = 0.34). The distracter version had a sensitivity of 81% and specificity of 88% in detecting global cognitive impairment.

Conclusions: The incorporation of distracters improves the sensitivity of a validated computerized version of the SDMT relative to the non-distracter and traditional versions and offers a quick and easy means of detecting cognitive impairment in people with MS.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

No one should text, call, talk on phone while driving

I have cognitive disabilities (actually just got my disability through SS because of it) and my husband has worried about me becoming distracted while driving many times in the past. I am at the point now where I can't even have the radio on if I am driving in an unfamiliar area. I can't imagine how people think that driving is such a menial task that they can multi-task with coffee, cigarette, make up, phone, radio or MP3 playlist, and traffic coming in all directions while they are driving a half-ton (or more) killing machine. Then these same people wonder why they left their baby in the back seat of a hot car all day while they were gone at work. Choose not to be distracted and save lives, including your own and those of your children.

Comment

You are so right, Kelly. Distracted driving is a huge cause of accidents and it is completely avoidable. MS just compounds the issue, which is already deadly serious. Great to see you on the forum!
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
      X