TESTING: All Terrain Wheelchair, the Mountain Trike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TESTING: All Terrain Wheelchair, the Mountain Trike

Testing the state-of-the-art Mountain Trike, a go-anywhere wheelchair. And it does go anywhere. Since I only have the MT for a long weekend, gotta run. Hitting the trail again today. Details and article to come!

Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

I'm working on the full review of the mountain trike and expect to have it up on the site early in the new year. After some pretty extreme testing, I have to say it is a true beast off road.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

I hope to be testing the electric version of the Mountain Trike in the coming days, as a demo will be in Albuquerque. This could be a game changer in all-terrain wheelchairs. My only issue with the MT is the lack of gearing, but this alleviates that concern. So I don't have high hopes, I have sky-high hopes!

Paul Speight from Spokes'n Motion is driving it down from his shop in Denver. He is the US distributor and his business is a leader in adaptive gear. Fun fact: he was the captain of the New Zealand Disabled Ski Team during the Innsbruck Paralympic Games in 1988!

http://www.spokesnmotion.com/
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

I've wrapped up testing on the electric Mountain Trike all-terrain wheelchair. The full write-up will come when I've got time, but here's a quick summary of my findings:

-It's fast. Maybe too fast! With sensitive steering, flipping could be an issue.
        -It motors through grass. Traction in sand is an issue, as is loose gravel.
        -In electric mode, I almost never used my arms. It's more either/or for the most part. The boost is NOT an assist like it is on e-bikes.

Overall, I liked it, but there are issues that give me pause. More to come!
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

In the process of testing, I also managed to get myself in dicey situations, because I'm good at that. One time, I romped up a steep hill. And at the top of said hill was a narrow pedestrian bridge over a a ditch full of water. As I aimed for the bridge, the steering got a little off and I was steering myself right into the water! And as I quickly tried to correct the error, I nearly over-corrected and flipped!

Laura pulled the plug on that portion of the test. She had wanted to film it, but I wisely told her to keep a hand on the chair if disaster struck. Which it nearly did!
          Dave Bexfield
          ActiveMSers

Comment

Here is a pic of me testing the eTrike on pavement. How fast does it go? Not sure, but over 6 mph. I chickened out going any faster!
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            Dave Bexfield
            ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
            X