Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STUDY: Autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in progressive severe MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUDY: Autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in progressive severe MS

Note, the follow-up is only at 2 years. I went from a 5.5 EDSS down to a 3.0 at my 2-year check-up, but today I am back to a 5.5. The trick is time to see if this treatment's success is durable. - Dave

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a chronic inflammatory disease of central nervous system (CNS), which is disabling and majorly involves younger population. Various available treatments in forms of immunomodulation are not very effective; however, stem cell transplantation seems to be promising in recent literature. The current case report is a novel evidence for autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) in progressive MS. Case Summary: A 33 year old male with secondary progressive MS (SPMS), after being failed and/or intolerance to standard approved interferon (IFN) and mitoxantrone therapy, autologous HSCT was administered. At 2years of post-stem cell transplantation follow-up, he has remained stable with some improvement in functional status (Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS) reduced by 1.5), with no relapse, no treatment related complications, and no fresh magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) lesions. Conclusion: Autologous stem cell transplantation may be beneficial in progressive forms of MS, but needs to be tested in well-designed randomized trial.

FULL CASE REPORT:
    http://www.annalsofian.org/article.a...;aulast=Pandit
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers
Working...
X