ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > General

Old 11-09-2017, 12:35 PM
MS Warrior

Default Changes to TSA ID Requirements

I am hearing about some changes to ID requirements that TSA will be implementing next year.
I'm considering paying the fee ($85 for five years) just to avoid hassles at the airport.

I just got back from a trip to the east coast. I noticed that my boarding pass had "TSA Precheck" on it and wondered if that was because I was using wheelchair assistance to and from gates at the airport or specific to the airline.

Any thoughts? Dave, have you heard about this?

TSA Precheck

...\O/...
Liv__Well
..../\.......

My Two Numb Feet - An MS Diary

Last edited by LivWell; 11-09-2017 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Added link to TSA Precheck application
Old 11-13-2017, 05:46 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

LivWell, TSA Precheck is pretty awesome. Sometimes you'll get lucky and randomized to the program (congrats!), but usually not. Using a wheelchair makes no difference in getting selected.

Now using a wheelchair in the airport usually means cutting to the front of the security line. That's good, and why I poo-pooed getting certified. How much easier/faster could it be? But here where TSA Pre makes a big difference.

With TSA Pre, a) you can leave your shoes on, which is handy, especially when taking off your shoes and putting them back on is a pain. b) wheelchairs are screened in a flash (even the seat does not have to go through the Xray). c) there are no pat downs, which can take 5-10 minutes, just a question: Anything in your pockets? Boom, done, saving hassle and as much as 15 minutes even if you have a w/c go to the front of the line pass.

Is it worth it? If you travel by air more than a couple times a year, absolutely.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:58 AM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Well, so much for TSA Pre! After my first blissful experience, they changed the screening program to heighten security. So what was a big time saver now amounts to basically I get to leave my shoes on. (I don't wear belts or coats indoors.) That's essentially the only difference for me. So I am back to the 10-minute pat down with gloves up the inner thighs, down the backside, etc, etc. Suck.

Quote:
What if I have TSA Pre✓ and I use a wheelchair or scooter?

As a TSA Pre✓-eligible traveler, you are allowed to leave on your shoes, belt, and light jackets, unless instructed otherwise by a TSA officer. TSA Pre✓-eligible travelers are also allowed to keep their laptops and 3-1-1 compliant liquids in their carry-on luggage. Your screening process is determined by your ability to stand and walk. If you can stand and walk without the support of a person or device, you may be screened using advanced imaging technology or walk-through metal detector. If you can neither stand nor walk, you will be screened by a patdown while you remain seated.

A transportation security officer will physically inspect your wheelchair or scooter, including the seat cushions and any non-removable pouches or packs. If the wheelchair or scooter has any removable pouches or bags, you will need to remove them for x-ray screening.