ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > Gear

Old 08-07-2014, 10:37 AM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

I'm actually testing an innovative new foldable forearm crutch that is durable, superfast to deploy, and needs no tools or adjustment. Hope to provide more details soon....
Old 08-11-2014, 10:33 AM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Here is the just launched site of Jointed Crutch. I'm currently testing a version created from a pair of SideStix. So far so great. More to come!

http://jointedcrutch.com/
Old 04-07-2016, 09:06 PM

Unhappy One option that looks promising, but...

I have been looking into the Smartcrutch, and at first glance it looks like a gift from heaven for me, a 60 year old woman with MS who also suffers from severe damage to the joints in the hands. I am on track to end up being a lifetime crutch user, with MS causing progressively more spasticity in my legs, as well as progressive loss of balance, and in addition to that my left knee has progressed to the point where it may need to be replaced, but I don't recover well from surgeries, so I'm dubious about that... My situation is complicated by the fact that I have CMC joint arthritis in my right hand, and had a botched surgery for the same condition in my left, leaving me with progressive growth of bone spurs in the wrist and chronic pain in the reconstructed CMC joint itself. I am concerned about the longevity of the product, though, and when I contacted the manufacturer, they were evasive about that, and said that any guarantee would have to come from a retail distributor. When you click on Guarantee on their website, it says "See terms and conditions of local Distributor". Furthermore, medical testimonials seem to consist of only partial sentences from medical professionals, and some links to reviews end up as 404s, so that makes me think that users are finding some problems on extended use. That would be a serious drawback for me, since Medicare says that they're not sure if they'll cover them or not (when I contacted the manufacturer, I was given a "Medicare code" for them, but Medicare said that code was not on their list), and I would have to buy them first, then find out if they'd be covered. Since I'm a "lifetime user", and I'm on disability, I couldn't afford to replace them every year or two out of pocket. I'd be hard put to it to even be able to afford them out of pocket in the first place! I don't want to end up in a wheelchair, but that could happen if a more reliable manufacturer doesn't come up with a similar design!
Old 08-01-2018, 06:57 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Here's some more feedback on the SideStix I got recently from a member. Helpful feedback, especially for those on the fence. -D

Quote:
I love my Stix!!! I have used them for 2 days. Have not tried a long walk yet but just standing straight and walking upright is such a revelation. You were absolutely right about the difference they make. I can breathe more fully since I am being held upright. And I feel so great about how they look! I was reluctant to get forearm crutches for the "cripple" stigma. But now I want to say" Look at me, everybody!" Yay! Proudly wore them to the gym today.

And the stability is light years difference. Wow! All the old people I live with should have Stix. They will want mine. A stranger yelled across the Whole Foods parking lot--"you look great, I want those. what are they" nobody ever yelled that about my poles.

thank you, thank you, thank you.