Pros and Cons of Copaxone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pros and Cons of Copaxone

So I was diagnosed last October and have finally arrived at the MS Clinic. My Dr. is recommending Copaxone. I've been doing research but I want to hear from those who are actually taking this or have been. He did give me a steriod dose in June since according to him I was having a relapse. As of now I'm taking natural supplements. I go back Aug 17 and need to make a decision. Advice??
    Whatever does not begin with God will end in failure.

I took Copaxone for over three years and loved it. Maybe "love" is a bit strong for a daily shot, but it was super easy, didn't hurt much (some days not at all), and had zero side effects. I think it is a good first-line drug, especially because you don't have to worry about antibodies, liver issues, flu-like symptoms, or thyroid levels--all potential issues with interferons.

That said, all of the meds on the market today have their plusses and minuses, and I'm sure you'd find avid supporters of all. Well, except for maaaybe Avonex. I don't personally know of anyone who has taken both Avonex and another MS injectible drug (Betaseron, Copaxone, or Rebif) who preferred Avonex, even though it is only once a week (albeit with a big-honkin' needle for IM). But now that I've said that, I'm sure I'll hear from someone!

Just an FYI with Copaxone, it will sting for the first month or so. That goes away. Don't get discouraged and keep at it!
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

I "love" it too..

I went on Betaseron first... I was one of those people who went into almost immediate depression and my liver function tests started getting weird. I can't remember if it went up/down - just know with those 2 things I only lasted 2 months on it.

I had to wait 6 weeks and then I went on copaxone. I've now been on it for 2 years, 5 months and counting. I've had no new lesions since my Dx almost 3 years ago and I've actually seen a reduction in some of the daily symptoms I was experienceing (halo effect in my ON eye and spasticity to the point of severe leg spasms with feet/hands drawn and locked in).

When you start - the site injection reaction sites will hurt like (@*#&$KAHF hell and mine required baths in benedryll cream!! This will go down in time, I promise!

Comment

injection site reactions...

i started copaxone on 3-16-09 so its been like 5 months...i dont know how long these reactions are supposed to last but i still get them. I get huge red hot, raised circular bumps 7-8cm across. They itch and are embarrassing when people notice the ones on my arms. The reactions only last a day and disappear but they really suck. I would not say they are a reason not to take copaxone. Other then the site reactions i have NO problems!! no flu like symptoms that some other injections have. Just be ready and dont be surprised if you get a reaction. As far as how well it works i have one exacerbation in the 5 months of taking copaxone so i guess we both just have to wait and see....

Comment

Lizz, that's funny I started Copax on 3/17. (Happy St. Patrick's Day!) I was on Rebif first, but my liver enzymes went through the roof. I still get the site reactions, though much better in the past month or so, depending on the site. Had a mild exacerbation at the end of May. I'm hoping it was the copaxone keeping it mild. We'll see in Oct when they do the next MRI.

Comment

hahaha misspenny seems like we have very similar stories!! good luck!!

Comment

ditto ditto ditto

Caitlin w/PPMS, no exacerbations ever and I do the copaxone macarena to keep track of my site rotation! My only side effect? Bruising at sites ... and now and then a bump ... but also, no new lesions! Go for it!

Comment

copaxone macarena i like that!!

Comment

COPAXONE- a good run- 4 years

I was initially on Avonex for a bit over a year. I hated every injection- felt terrible for 24 hours, became depressed, dreaded injection day, couldn't give myself the injections.
                  Switched to Copaxone. Some injections were fine, and some created this allergic type reaction- swelling, redness, itching. This is all normal and icing before the injection seemed to help. After a while the reactions became less frequent and basically stopped. The sites did leave a hard knot for several weeks. I couldn't use my arms or fronts of my thighs very often because I didn't have enough fat there. I used my hips and lower abdomen most of the time. This worked fine for several years.
                  Last year I developed an infection in the fat layer in my abdomen. After antibiotics and no injections for a month, it cleared up only to return when the injections started again.
                  I am currently off meds and being monitored with MRI scans. I don't know which med will be in my future.
                  If you can use all the injection sites and rotate, I think Copaxone is great. It didn't make me sick or depressed. I would definitely use Copaxone over Avonex. Don't know if Betaseron makes you feel as bad as Avonex did.

Comment

Unfortunately, no MS drug is a wonder drug, at least not yet. Although, based on early trial results, the chemo drug Campath (Alemtuzumab) may be close. I almost got on the trial last month, but was nixed because I had a few low values in my bloodwork. Good luck, others. Let me know how it goes--it sounds awesome!

BTW, for all curious, the Campath trial (in phase III) is closed. The earliest it could be on the market is a couple years from now.
                    Dave Bexfield
                    ActiveMSers

Comment

Copaxone

Hi Beth, I didn't find the copaxone to be too bad. I took it for about a year. The injection sites could be pretty tender but not unbearable. I stopped for a season because I had a lot of leg stiffness and couldn't remember what was MS and what was side effects. I am going to give avonex a whirl for awhile but wouldn't hesitate to go back on copaxone. The injections become part of your routine and you don't think twice about them. Attitude is everything. I kind of look at injections as something I do to prevent illness until stem cell research is developed further and gives me a cure. I believe in this and am just waiting. Best of luck!

Comment

Thanks to you all for your advice and support. I have signed up for Copaxone and am waiting on my NORD application to get processed. Can't say that i'm looking forward to the injection site reactions but I have also heard that using the auto-injector can cause a lot of that and therefore I intend to try it with & without it. Blessings, Beth

Comment

Hi all... Well, I began the injections 10/3 and so far so good. I have been using the auto-injector and usually a depth of 10. My training nurse said that she believe the site reactions can be reduced if you allow the medication to go in deeper rather than just sit under the skin and I have found that to be true! I have just went on my first weekend away with my meds and it went well. So a new normal is forming for me. Blessings, Bethany

Comment

Working...
                          X