Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please join me in expressing gratitude to Michael Berry (New Mexico Bike MS fatality)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please join me in expressing gratitude to Michael Berry (New Mexico Bike MS fatality)

Michael, 40 of Albuquerque, died in a bicycle accident riding for us in New Mexico's Bike MS Atomic Ride this past weekend. No vehicles were involved. He is survived by his wife Roxann and two daughters.

Roxann told the Albuquerque Journal that this was his third time riding the event. "He and his friends did it (the first time) because of the thrill of doing it," she said. "After hearing a speech at the banquet (following the ride) he was touched. .... He was so touched by the people who had MS and with the ride and what the money meant to them." The family will continue to participate in the event.

I want the Berry family to know just how much I and all of us with multiple sclerosis appreciate his efforts to raise money to fight this disease. I've made a commitment to speak at the 2009 Bike MS Atomic 150 banquet. His legacy absolutely will continue ... and I will do my best to inspire others as Michael himself was inspired. Thanks, Michael. To the Berry family, we are very sorry for your loss.

If others would like to post their thoughts, I will print them out and provide them to the family.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Berry Family,
    Words can't possibly begin to say how very sorry I am for your loss. Know that Michaels legacy will live on through those that he inspired. My families thoughts and prayer are with you.

Kimberly Clemens
    http://myjourneywithms-kimberly.blogspot.com/
    Kimberly

http://myjourneywithms-kimberly.blogspot.com/

Comment

I am so sorry

I am so sorry. May God be with your family.

Comment

With deepest sympathy and heartfelt condolences to you and your family for the loss of Michael.
        Kinnv

Comment

My deepest sympathies go out to his family and community. I have MS and I am team captain for a team in the Bike MS Atlanta Ride. This is our fourth year as a team and with 76 riders my biggest fear is that someone will get hurt riding. Georgia is not known for safe cycling! We ride for the cause but we also ride for the friendship and camaraderie and a love of the sport of cycling. I'm quite sure all of those things were important to him and there is a big loss now in the cycling world, not just there, but across the country!
          Sincerely,
          Marjorie
          http://www.teammarjatlarge.com

Comment

What can I say?

I'm so sorry Michael is gone. I can't imagine your loss.

I pray that God be with you as you go through this horrible time in your life.

I'm grateful that Michael gave of himself to help find a cure for this disease.

Martha Skye Martin

Comment

Onto the next ride ...

I hope you were one of the riders I wished well on Saturday morning at Santa Ana: "Have fun! Thanks for riding! See you at the top!" Or maybe I greeted you in Los Alamos with a cheer and a cowbell. Maybe we laughed together in the Los Alamos downpour? And Sunday morning, I know I said to many "Have fun! Be safe! See y'all at the bottom! Thanks for riding! See you at home."

My thoughts are with all of Michael's family and friends right now. There are no words. Just love and prayers to share with you.

Caitlin,
              Rio Grande Board member, MS Ambassador, MS Client and volunteer.

Comment

Berry Family and friends,

I just wanted to give you my sympathy and prayers for your loss. Michael was riding for a cause...my cause...MS. If it wasn't for people like Michael, who devote time to raise money for research into our horrible disease, we would have no hope for a future without MS. Know that his efforts were appreciated and that your loss is, also, in part, our loss as well. Be proud of him and his devotion to do something in this world where so many people sit back and do nothing.
                Thank you for supporting him in this and all of his endeavors and may knowing how wonderful of a person he was give you some comfort in the coming days.
                Gale
                MS person

Comment

So sorry

The world is one less kinder , one less gentler due to this tragic accident of Mr. Berry ... it is people like Mr. Berry , who care and give for people like me to hang in and survive another day with MS ...

My prayers and sympathy to his family and friends and all those he did touch by his kindness and his passing ... agserra1

1LIFE2LIVE

Comment

I am so sorry for their loss. God Bless.

Comment

I wanted to thank everyone for their comments. The funeral drew over 300 people and by the time his father spoke, it was standing room only. A very nice service. Below is his obituary as it appeared in the Albuquerque Journal . The family requested donations to the NMSS in lieu of flowers. His obituary coincidentally appeared immediately above the one for my grandmother, which also asked for donations to the NMSS....

BERRY -- Michael S. Berry was born January 30, 1968 in Tucson, AZ. Our beloved son, brother, father, grandson and friend, passed away suddenly, Sunday, August 24, 2008, as a result of a bicycle accident while participating in the Rio Grande Bike MS Atomic Ride, a fundraiser for multiple sclerosis. The ride started Saturday in Bernalillo, going through the Jemez Mountains to Los Alamos, and returning to Bernalillo by the same route on Sunday. Michael was a very family oriented man and a friend to all who knew him. He cherished his family and friends and will be truly missed. Michael is survived by his loving wife of 18 years, Roxann; two daughters, Kimberley and Jessica Berry all of the family home in Albuquerque; his father, Don Berry; his mother and step-father, Georgia and John Killgore all of Albuquerque; two sisters, Lori Hinson and her husband, Delanie, Tracey Walter and her husband, Scott all of Albuquerque; several nieces, nephews, other family members and friends who loved and will miss him. A Memorial Service will be held at Northdale Baptist Church, 123 Osuna Rd NW in Albuquerque, on Thursday, August 28, 2008 at 3:00 p.m. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that memorial contributions be made to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, 4125 Carlisle NE. Suite "A". ABQ., NM. 87102. 505-243-2792. Arrangements by Direct Funeral Services, 2919 4th St. NW. ABQ. 505-343-8008
                      Dave Bexfield
                      ActiveMSers

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss of your grandmother as well. God bless.

Comment

Working...
                        X