Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a question for you active people with MS :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question for you active people with MS :)

Hi gang! I'm Jan. This is my first post here, and I'd love to pick your brains about exercise for people who are physically disabled due to their MS.

I used to be a dancer back in the day. However, "the day" is long over, and almost 30 years of MS has done its damage. I stretch, but that's about all I CAN do. I walk with assistance, but that wears me out. What do you all suggest?!

Thanks for being here!

Exercise...

Hi Jan,

I was dx in April of this year. I am an avid kayaker who thought that I wasn't going to be able to do what I enjoy. I am trying to exercise to help build up the muscles that are not affected. I received a great DVD at one of my self help meetings. It was made by a fitness trainer with MS. I'll see if I can find it. Anything you try will help.

Comment

Caitlin's exercise routine

I find that tap dancing and ballroom are out.
      However ...
      Found a great YOGA class at a Senior Center. You might even check with your local chapter and see if they offer MS YOGA.
      And,
      anything in the WATER! I love laps - cuz nothing hurts, no pounding, no aching. And our Parks and Rec offers a cheap ($2.50 per class) AQUAEROBICS class!

Enjoy and find what works best for YOU!
      Caitlin

Comment

Jan, I try not to focus on what I can no longer do. It would just bug me too much. Instead, I think about how I can do what I want to do ... and what modifications it's going to take to make it happen.

For instance, adaptive skiing is for anyone at any level of disability. The fresh mountain air and scenery is wonderful and you can inform the instructor how much physical help you need right from the get-go.

Or it can be as simple as squeezing a exercise ball while watching TV to build strength in your forearms or fingers. Or lift up your front toes repeatedly while doing a crossword puzzle to combat foot-drop and boost the brain power. It all helps.

Glad you found us!
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
        X