X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another newbie

Hi,

It's good to see a group that is proactive in addressing MS. I was diagnosed in 1991, I take no medicine for MS and usually only an aspirin a day when I remember. I am now 58 and still have no visible symptoms. I haven't had a relapse in years and years.

My weight is within the normal range, my BP is 95/65, my total cholesterol is 145. I don't run because I have bad knees from my running days of my youth but I can still outrun the average women my age on a cardiovascular stress test. I do walk regularly, five times a week, lift weights, etc.

I have followed a low-fat diet for years (with some cheating) and I think this makes all of the difference in the world. I am definitely a fan of the Swank MS Diet that was developed by a professor of neurology and head of the neurology department at a medical school in Oregon. The diet does alleviate most fatigue problems and other symptoms as well. I also am a big fan of adequate Vit. B1 and D3, and fish oil and calcium supplements.

A while back I decided I wanted to be of service to others with MS so I decided to start sharing information on the importance of a healthy life cycle. This went over like a lead balloon in some circles. It seems a number of those with MS wanted to sit around, eat cheesecake and burgers, gain more and more weight, and don't mind wheel chairs. Geez, I was surprised. I felt upset too because I hate to see others get sicker unnecessarily.

Now I'm thinking that because MS is related to a lack of sunshine exposure in youth, lower levels of Vitamin D and excessive consumption of saturated fat, I should perhaps focus on trying to prevent MS in the upcoming children. Perhaps some older individuals cannot be educated because they do not want to make needed life style changes. Sad.

How do others feel about these issues?

Comment

Hi,

May I suggest you check out the Swank diet at www.Swankmsdiet.org?\

Comment

Thanks Dave

Hello all,
        My name is Mike I live in NYC Bridget I run the park also, love it. I also run up under the GW bridge along the west side.
        I was Dx'd on my 35 birthday. The Dr thought I had spinal cancer I guess this was the better of the two. I really got into the running about 2 years ago, dropped over 50lbs eating right and cardio. Some days it gets very tough but its what ya gotta do!
        Thanks again Dave.

Comment

Hi All,

I was diagnosed in January 2006 with RRMS. I have been on Copaxone since April 2006.

I enjoy running, stationary biking, and walking my dog. I truly believe exercise is very important in helping to keep my healthy.

I am so glad I found this website.

Comment

also happy to find site

I saw the MS is BS post in another MS website and, of course, was intrigued...

I love the optimism of this site; although physically disabled from birth, I was very active before MS struck. In the 3 years it took before diagnosis, I became a couch potato (at first, I was told not to exercise [not due to poss. MS diagnosis], then I just hurt a lot and was very depressed re lack of diagnosis).

Now, I'm ready to resume active life. I do yoga 3-4 times a week and have started sailing lessons... But, I am older and it is hard to keep up the motivation some days...

I think this site will help

Comment

I forgot to introduce myself...

Hey all! I realized I'd made some postings and hadn't said who I was! I'm Holly from Pearland, Texas (Houston suburb!)... found this website going internet crazy MS searching after Dx'd in Oct 06 - 1 week to the day after 30th bday!

Not doing a lot of mountain biking or trail running anymore but trying to stay consistent on my recumbent home bike. Houston weather not good for outdoor running with MS! Love to fish and get to enjoy the close saltwater but that doesn't build up much but my biceps!!

Comment

Hi all,

My name is Susan. I was diagnosed in 1983 and after the first couple of years of weird problems had almost no symptoms until 2000. Things have kind of gone downhill since then, but I'm still walking at least a mile every morning and going to the gym a couple of days a week. I get frustrated when I can't walk as far as I used to.

I'm married, no kids, work at a job I love, have a sailboat and love to sail, do photography and ceramics (both sculpture and wheel) and love to garden. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.

It's really great having a site like this. Thanks, Dave.

Comment

Intro

Hi, diagnosed in 2006 at (ahem) 51 and recently moved to Albuquerque. I've been very active in the past, doing a lot of hiking and walking. My main issues are cognitive - I seemed to have developed dyslexia and a few other interesting lapses in neuron functions.

Since I've moved here I've have gained 20#
                  and haven't been too active since the heat really gets me. Am really looking forward to meeting some hiking and other activity buddies and getting back into shape.
                  Anyone available on weekdays?

Gina

Comment

Hello, I'm Michelle from Sydney Australia. I stumbled on this site by accident looking for exercise ideas and tips for working out well with MS.

Diagnosed as CIS Presumed MS Nov 2007, only last week changed to clinically definite. Have problems with my legs - balance, weakness and parasthesia. Oh, and the dreaded fatigue.

I'm taking Amantadine for fatigue, no DMD's but am considering Copaxone. Long story (aren't they all?)

I really want to connect with others who want to stay active and positive, help each other and continue to move through any changes MS may bring.

And have laugh too .....

PS - big on resistance training, yoga for 25 years, trying tai chi, love lots of walking, but need to set up a regular routine now that won't exhaust me. Especially to strengthen my legs, which have become quite wobbly of late.
                    Last edited by Michela11; 08-26-2008, 07:48 AM.
                    Is anyone ready for this winding road? But we walk it ...

Comment

Originally posted by BBBBB View Post
                      Hi,

May I suggest you check out the Swank diet at www.Swankmsdiet.org?\

Hi, I started on the Swank diet a couple of weeks after my initial sort-of! diagnosis last November. I have relapsed on two occasions in making roast lamb tsk tsk. But apart from that, I've been very diligent and until recently, felt it was all working well.

Swan's theories are very valuable to consider, and it's great to hear from someone like you who's been on it for so long and has reaped so many benefits.

Can I ask you what your main symptoms and signs were, and any other tips you want to give (not pressuring) about how you've come this far, so well?
                      Is anyone ready for this winding road? But we walk it ...

Comment

Hola! Caitlin from ABQ here...

This is Caitlin Anderson, married to David Simpson, thus the Andersimps. Daughter Bridget was born in 2001. My dx with Primary Progressive was in Sept 06. I stay active in local NMSS Division, aquaerobics, yoga, life coaching, consulting, and of course, parenting!
                        And, hey, procrastinating on Dave's website!

Comment

Ms Support Group

Hello - My name is Adrian, and I am 51 years old ...

Having Ms , I too procrastinate , as I also have other issues , as most do, that came iwth my MS ...

I live in Santa Fe, NM .. and my therapist has suggested to get involved in a group setting .. to make friends who can relate to my situation ..

Problem I have is getting to them .. often they are too far for me to get to .. joining a CODA group for the anxiety is scary , as I wouldn't know how to explain ...

The MS Resource Center , here n SF, is a P.O. Box ... not comforting .. while they tried to get an excersize group going , that was suspended due to lack of people ...

It is scary for me, having that feeling of no where to turn to even make an attempt ...

Well, I belong to forums on healthcentral and while I get support from many on each individual issue , anxiety, depression, pain and all ... it's the human contact I am missing most ...

hanging in by a thread , trying to sell my condo and getting back to where I cam , Florida, has been an up & down experience also ...

So, that is some about me .. and I just wish they had an MS group here that I could go to .. where I could connect with people "live" ... adrian

1LIFE2LIVE

Comment

My name is Armando, and I've been diagnosed with RRMS for about a year. I found this board after reading about it in an article of a Nissan enthusiast magazine. I live in New York, am an avid autocrosser and I'm a dedicated, unrepentant gearhead who love all things powered by gasoline.

I don't have a regular exercise routine, I work on cell phone towers, climbing up and down apartment rooftops with tools and parts should make up for that...I hope.

Comment

Quasimodo

Welcome - hope you find this site helpful , others to learn from and talk to .. and hope you get a chance to get to know organizations in your area ..

Welcome .... agserra

1LIFE2LIVE

Comment

Hi all, I'm Krista I'm 26 years old and was diagnosed 3 years ago after 8 months of getting the run around. I woke up one morning blind in my right eye and freaked out, went to the ER and they called in the nicest opthamalogist! He was just visiting UNMH but he was great. Explained to me about optic neuritis and what it might signify. I went back a week late and got an MRI which didn't show any lesions but did show a growth on my pituitary gland so months of seeing an endocrinologist and it disapated but my sight kept going and coming. I saw a neurologist but he was kind of an idiot, told me I had a 70% chance that it wouldn't turn out to be MS and 30% that it would. I liked those odds but it turns out he had the numbers backwards! So after a spinal tap and an excrutiating week after the results were in! Along with the lesions they found on another MRI they determined MS. I imediatly was put into the Combi study and have been ever since! Although I had to get off the drugs for a year since I got pregnant, i had my daughter on January 30th and 6 months later got back on the drugs. And have been having one relapse after another! 4 since June 08! So that is my story! Hope all of you are doing well

Comment

Working...
                                X