Mobility scooter recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobility scooter recommendations

My wife Laura has been bugging me to get a scooter for, oh, five years or so. Although I get around with wonky MS legs using a cane and forearm crutches pretty decently, I don't get around that far. So for distances we use a wheelchair, and she would prefer if she didn't have to push me all of the stinkin' time. Even though I often drive myself, and always roam on my own through museums, hills are a problem. A scooter would admittedly give me a bit more freedom.

So I'm in the market for a scooter. I was looking a Luggie (good for travel and relatively compact) but I'm open to recommendations. Advice anyone? If the stars align, I might even arrange a full on test of mobility scooters and write up a review, but that might be wishful thinking....
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

It looks like I may be able to rent scooters locally, which is a great way to try them out. Since I don't plan to use the scooter indoors at this time, how it maneuvers in my home is not critical. I'm most interested in portability, battery life, and the ability to handle different terrain like uneven sidewalks and hard-packed gravel.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

mobility scooter recommendations

Hello...I gave in and bought dreaded scooter nearly a year ago but have only just started getting over myself and using it for longer walks. Which don't have to be very long...
      I bought a nearly new Mercury RIO 3 Lite and have also now got an adapted car with a hoist in the back that puts the scooter in the boot for me. It is small and not for rough terrain but gets me around much more than before.
      Last edited by pam newall; 11-20-2014, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Rollator or wheelchair rather than scooter for me.

I'm using a rollator where I stay in Victoria, BC, in the winter. I've ordered another one for my home on Ottawa, ON. I use the Volaris Smart Patrol rollator in Victoria and I've ordered the Volaris Smart Rollator (not the Patrol) for Ottawa because the Ontario Government Assistive Devices Program will pay for 75% of that.

I've used other rollators but I like this the best. It flexes so all four wheels are on the ground. Very comfortable to use. I started going for much longer walks as soon as I got it.

I thought of buying a mobility scooter and researched them to the point of obsession. I don't want to buy one right now because I don't want to deal with buyer's remorse, storage, maintenance, charging, batteries, transporting it by aircraft or car, etc.

I think mobility scooters are wonderful, having used a loaner at the National Gallery of Canada. So my choice would be to borrow or rent when I need one.

If you buy one check out this link first. I'm not pro-American or anti-American, but this video is persuasive about buying one made by a reputable company in the USA rather than overseas.

Hope this is helpful. If anyone wants more information about the Volaris Smart Patrol rollator contact me at allanmiller@pobox.com

http://youtu.be/TfLtgb2ybb8

Disneyland has four wheeled personal convenience vehicles (like a wheelchair) for rent but you can't reserve them!

My other choice would be a wheelchair custom fitted for me with those round motors in the wheels. I think they're more versatile and transportable than a mobility scooter. I've seen a young woman using one in my neighbourhood and I saw a middle aged man wheeling the Victoria Marathon with one. Much more transportable than a scooter and you can turn readily in restaurants, elevators, and hotel rooms. They have the mild stigma of a wheelchair (which is fading), which scooters don't seem to have for some reason, but I envision using one for meetings, concerts, visiting friends in their homes, as my SPMS might progress.
        Last edited by allanmiller735; 11-20-2014, 08:46 AM. Reason: To make an additional comment

Comment

Hi Dave,

I always thought this stuff looked great although not that rugged.

http://www.diblasi.de/

Teena Marie

Comment

This looks like something I'd like although I'm not sure how one would transport it.

http://www.tramper.co.uk/three-wheel-scooter.php

Comment

Thanks for the links, TM. And great info, Allan. Really appreciated!
              Dave Bexfield
              ActiveMSers

Comment

And Pam, too. Didn't mean to forget thanking you as well!
                Dave Bexfield
                ActiveMSers

Comment

Hi Dave, I am the mother of an adult son who has MS. I bought my son a Travelscoot to get around. Best thing I ever did! He always turned a dark shade of purple when I suggested a scooter, but that all changed. He loves the thing!
                  Pros: light weight (35lb with the lithium-Ion battery) but very sturdy, it folds up and can be transported in any car, no special accommodations needed. Easy to take on flights, travels about 10mi on one charge, quite speedy (depends on your body weight), goes up steep hills.
                  Cons: pricy, not necessarily usable in rugged terrain, don't get it wet.
                  I drove it myself and wrote a blog about it: http://gpecht.blogspot.com/2014/08/t...n-scooter.html
                  I really highly recommend trying it out, it's just perfect for traveling.

Comment

I've had my eye on a Travelscoot, Gerlinde. It's on my short list. Hmm. Like your son, I never thought I'd say "scooter" and "short list" together in the same sentence, ha. Thanks for the recommendation!
                    Dave Bexfield
                    ActiveMSers

Comment

No problem, Dave, let me know if we can answer any questions for you. I guess there is not a one-scooter-for-every-occation solution. It would be cool if there were a couple of modifications for this scooter available, like tires with different thread for different terrain. But that would probably cut into its portability. The guy, who came up with the design, was a pilot and he wanted something he could take onboard of his plane. Might be worth contacting him and see if he would be open to some additions for the travelscoot.

Comment

Spoke to the US folks behind the Travelscoot last week. We are trying to see if a test unit is feasible. The scooter checks off a number of potential boxes: lightweight, portable, easy to transport, yet still a full-fledged scooter. On paper it looks good, but that doesn't substitute for hands-on experience. Stay tuned....
                        Dave Bexfield
                        ActiveMSers

Comment

I have had a luggie for a year now, and absolutely adore it! It folds up like a suitcase and fits in the back seat of the car. Not for rugged terrain, but great for straight aways and tight turns. Let me know if you want info on the best place to purchase it.

Comment

Working...
                          X