No announcement yet.

MSers in Training 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impressive event schedule RonRuns. Hope you keep us updated, triathlete training has always fascinated me. Best of luck!

Love the story Suebee, I live for those small victories, hopefully they add up.

I got 75 miles in on the bike last week, shooting for 100 or better this week. Noticed on my cumulative stats that I have just passed the 1 mile mark for total ascent for the year. It's a start

Early season is always dangerous, be safe out there,
    AMF
    Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 03-08-2016, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Rode outside for the first time this year yesterday!!! Ahhhh I missed it so much. The trainer might be a great work out but there is nothing like being outside. However, outside is where the dreaded hills are as well

Since we are posting our plans here are mine:

Early May - Fun and super flat Century (as in 100 feet of elevation over 100 miles flat)

Late May: Bike DC - where they will close the streets of DC to cars and even part of the highway and let lie 8000 cyclist go.

Early June: BikeMS - 100/50

Early October - Century that was cancelled due to weather last year that registered us for free this year. I thought that was super mind but of course some people still aren't happy.

Last year I did a hilly (for me 4K feet) Century in the beginning of September that I will likely do again but am not registered yet.

I think I will stay away registering for anything too far ahead for July/August as it tends to be so hot by them and I may not really be able to do a ride that lasts into the hottest parts of the day. That June and September rides can be too hot as well but much less likely.

Comment

Like you said Marina, there is just nothing like being outside and last week was perfect here. I got 140 miles in juse because it was so nice. I tried to stay aerobic and did except for a few unavoidable hills. Apparently staying aerobic develops blood supply to the heart and muscles and it burns fat and I need to burn about 6 more pounds of fat. At any rate, I'm well on schedule for 400 miles this month. Next month starts intervals and hill work. I'll begin trading horizontal miles for vertical miles and things should start getting tough.

I signed up for the Copper Triangle in August again. It's 80 miles and 6,000 ft of ascent through some beautiful Colorado mountain scenery. Legs, the yoga chick, is doing it with me so there won't be any chance of sagging any of the hills.

I've also been hitting the gym for core and weight work at least once a week and getting to yoga twice a week. All is well on track.

Take care everyone,

Comment

Hi Teena,

The swim event is at Lake George, NY: Lake George Open Water Swim: LGOWS.

Comment

So apparently it was bound to happen. While going through the twisties at high speed, I managed to roll my trike, sliding along the pavement like a tipped bobsledder. Nothing broken, but my elbow got pretty mangled. I've included a pic here since there are a bunch of cyclists, and cyclists like to share war wounds. Do not zoom in if your stomach gets queasy. Think cheese grater meets blender meets elbow. Even the ER doc was surprised by the amount of damage in such a small area. Talk about severe road rash. I imagine it will take a few weeks to heal.

My trike is a bit worse for wear and is not rideable. The frame, though, appears to be in good shape. So it should live again.

The biggest bummer (other than the accident, I guess): I was on my way for a PR in miles! All-in-all it was probably for the best. I was riding with two others (wife and a friend), I wrecked right by a parking lot with easy access instead of deep on the trail, and I didn't screw up anything too bad. I know myself, and with this trike being sooo stable (or so I thought), I would have gone over in a turn at some point with potentially far worse consequences. Solo I would have not been able to right myself, and if I was on a rarely used trail out of cell service, well yikes.

I've also included a graph of my mph (wreck.jpg). I was near max speed for the day (15 mph) when I used pavement and my elbow to stop my progress. Jeezo.

Hope to be back on three wheels soon! And yes, I'll take it a little slower in the turns from now on.
            Attached Files
            Dave Bexfield
            ActiveMSers

Comment

Ouch Dave! Sorry to hear you tumbled your trike. That looks nasty too, like it could leave a mark. Glad it wasn’t worse though, at least I hope it wasn’t. Figures it was in pursuit of a new PR – which of course, also makes for the perfect cycling story, certainly worthy of a few rounds at any local gathering of sports enthusiasts. Wishing you and your trike a full recovery soon.

I managed a scant 29 miles last week. A rituxin infusion took two days out, below freezing temps and a snowstorm took the rest. On Tuesday this week I managed a 50-mile ride in wicked winds. At one point the winds were so strong I could barely keep moving in my lowest gear. Just how wicked those winds were became fully apparent the next day when Denver woke up to a full-blown blizzard that continued well into the rest of the day. It eventually took out our electricity and left us with at least 18 inches of sopping wet snow. Although I’m already over 300 miles for the month, my 400-mile goal could be in jeopardy as there is another snowstorm due in before this one will have a chance to melt.

There was one highlight on the ride Tuesday. I came across a small herd of deer crossing the bike path, had to wait while they passed. This wasn't the first time this has happened either.

No shortage of exercise here, shoveling out from this latest storm is proving to be a multi-day activity.

Larry

Comment

Oh no Dave!!! I am glad you weren't more injured but that does not look fun!

This is one of my fears, the trike feels so stable but then this type of thing happens and you know its fallible!

As for me, its finally thawing out here so I am getting to ride outside more. Thats been a ton more interested then time in the trainer.

This week my mph and time to tiredness has taken a bit of a hit. I am wondering if it is related to the high pollen count. I (surprise to me!) have a super severe birch allergy that presents oddly (this is why I didnt suspect allergy at first) with itchy skin and being warm/hot. I could also have a super mild bug. Whatever is going on - I am ready to be at 100% and not just 90%. I am impatient!

Comment

Glad you're finally able to get out Marina. With all the trainer work you've done I'd think you're in pretty good shape for hitting the roads and trails, allergies or bugs excepted. Hope it stays nice out there for you.

I only managed 50 miles last week, too much snow to get out on the bike more, and more snow expected tomorrow and the next day. But things are looking up, this coming weekend could approach 80 and I'll get out today for a while.

I didn't slack off though. Hit the club for elliptical's once and for weights twice and made it to yoga once. Still really liking the weight work, it seems to give me more confidence in my ability to function, I just feel better. Oh yeah, also shoveled snow for two days, geesh!

Hope everyone is starting to see light at the end of winter's tunnel,

Larry
                  Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 03-29-2016, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Riding up Pikes Peak
                    Vertical miles, 3 to 5 this month, that's the goal. Ended March with less than 350 horizontal miles, less than the 400 I was looking for but it'll have to do, too many snow storms towards the end of the month, but I did get a lot of weight room work in, also a fair bit of stair climbing and a little elliptical and some snow shoveling that I still haven't fully recovered from.

Finding myself a little low on red blood cells at the moment compliments of a rituxin infusion. Trying to eat more iron rich foods, taking iron complex supplements and switching to women's specific vitamins, also open to other suggestions. Basically looking for all the help I can get here. Riding at altitude will be tough if I can't get my rbc count up - on the other hand, riding at altitude might be what it takes to get the rbc count up.

Everybody getting some time in?
                    Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 04-02-2016, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Hi to all and so impressive everyone's training. Except of course your accident, Dave. Ouch! I hope the recovery is coming along.

Training is good. Pool daily with increased lap time. I do a standing balance of 6 minutes which is helping with overall recruitment of postural muscles. The kicking at the ladder has been most beneficial and has also increased. I love working with my trainer. Life has been hectic so we don't get to work as often as I'd like but when we do, it's great.

I had another of my biking dreams so soon I'll be joining all you cyclists in training!

Take care all and happy spring. Although we are having a short visit from the Arctic at present.

Teena Marie

Comment

Always follow your dream teenie

As for me...we've been in a cruddy weather pattern for awhile now. Its raining (a lot), very windy an cold lately.

I was able to get out a few weeks ago but since then I have been stuck inside on the trainer. I am getting a bit worried about my first century in early May. The plan was to build outdoor miles until I got to 50-60. But now I am doing 1-2 hour trainer work outs instead.

I am hoping to get out soon...but days like today are so discouraging. Finally warmed up but pouring rain for the next 2 days! Then back to cold (like 30-40) then warm, but windy and pouring.

So here's hoping all those sufferfests are doing something because I am not getting out and riding!

Comment

Hey all! I out there lurking, reading all inspirational your activities. Teena Marie, what strokes do you do in the pool? Do u use a kick board? What would you suggest for me to start out to see if swimming could build up my endurance. You might remember I had surgery last year and my core, hips got weaker and destabilized. Just a few seconds on wobble board causes days of hip pain. But I'm determined to find a way to regain some of my strength. I'm looking for some routine to use with the pool. Any ideas welcome!

Comment

Larry and Marina, hopefully Mother Nature is calming down now and has decided to give us all a little Spring, and you can get your outside trainings back on track. I think you both have so much in the reserve tank that the fear of not being in the shape you want to be in is not really the reality.

I'm just pretending to be an outside rider these days, for my obvious reasons! I'm getting on the trainer with the trike regularly now, I find I can do it with the sling, just need to use my left hand to reach over to shift on the right if I need to. Been not holding back at all on these videos (yeah, I love/hate those Sufferfest videos, too, Marina) and I also hope that this translates into strength training for when I eventually get back out on the trail. On a humorous note, it is a little funky for me to get up off the trike with one arm in a sling. I could barely get up out of it with TWO arms! Actually took me 10 minutes on Sunday afternoon to boost myself up… I had my cell phone right next to me, and was actually laughing through the whole ordeal, thinking, "Who am I going to call and what am I going to tell them?" Well I obviously got up, and then researched accessibility aids that can be added to the cattrike for this very reason… Ease of getting into and out of. This should help me while I'm building up strength in the right arm, and in general I think I'll greatly appreciate having these when I'm back outside after a long ride.

I've been also using my shallow steps outside my house to do step ups and step downs. I live on one level so this is the best I can find concerning stairs during this healing process. It also has been feeling really good to work these muscles.

Larry, as you alluded to, I would think that at Denver's mile high status, you're at an advantage for building up your RBC. How's that going?
                            Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

Hello all,

Great work Larry, Marina and Veronica. You're all amazing with your training. It's slowly becoming spring here in Montreal. I hope the same for you all.

Suebee, great you are considering the pool. I do front crawl. I find the alternating left,right arms and legs really helps my walking. It's been a while since I've used a board but in the past have found it helpful for both arms and legs. You may want to consider doing laps with frequent breaks as you build stamina and coordination. The other strengthening I do is a variety of exercises that includes standing balance, calf raises, both feet as well as individually, squats at the ladder and kicking at the ladder. There also is walking in the pool, on tiptoe, on heels, backwards, sideways, etc. That is what comes to mind quickly. I'm off for a swim so if anything comes up, I'll be sure to post. Pool temperature is also key. Cooler better than warmer.

Good luck to all and keep on training.

Teena Marie

Comment

An intrepid group for sure. Great to see everyone doing the best they can given the accidents, weather, surgeries, MS and all. It certainly hasn't been easy so far this year, I think we all deserve a big pat on the back for our efforts.

My climbing has begun in earnest now. I'm up to 1500 ft of ascent in 7.5 miles, trying to get around 4500 ft of ascent a week. I've been slowed down by the latest snow storm again, another foot of incredibly heavy wet stuff, but probably needed the break from cycling anyway, although hopefully not too much of a break. Also still hitting the weight room and yoga. I've let up a little on core work but hopefully the weights and snow shoveling are covering it. I also think my red blood cell count is coming back up, can't wait to get into the mountains to kind of see where I stand.

I think your right Marina, hope you're able to get outside for some longer rides soon.

Great efforts everybody,
                                Larry

Comment

Working...
                                X