Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitamins,Omega 3s

Hi All,
    I,ve been diagnosed 2 years now with PPMS symptoms for alot longer.
    Anyway i,ve been taking Vit D3,E,B12 omega 3 DHA/EPA religiously and do wonder if i,m wasting my money i dont take anything else.
    I also try try try to be GLUTEN FREE.
    What do others think ?

Adie, it sounds like you are doing a good job with taking supplements that have been scientifically shown to possibly benefit MS. Note, I was advised by dr not to take b12 lingual but 2000mg b12 not time released or take monthly shots. This is because a leaky gut needs a large dose to get some through. Glucosamine has also been shown to possible be beneficial to ms patients by regulation of T cells. I'm not sure if that finding applies to both PP and RR. My understanding is that the reason DM drugs work for RR is because it reduces inflammation, severity and frequency of attack. But with PP it has less inflammation I would check with Neuro about whether glucosamine would benefit you. That's great you are trying to keep gluten from diet, there are other so called inflammation / immune triggers such as sugar. But I personally have found it hard to adhere to restrictive diets, even if it would be beneficial. Best of luck! Suebee

Comment

Vitamins, omega 3

Thanks for input Suebee,
      I have been taking the B12 1000 ug Sublingual
      is this right do you know.

Comment

Adie,
        I went to a hematologist for low b12 when I was deteriorating rapidly from MS flare. Dr was awesome. My red blood cells showed anemia - large and immature. He prescribed massive doses of b-12 injections, first daily, then weekly, then maintence monthly or I could take 2000 mcg oral daily. He specifically instructed, however, not to take spray or lingual or time released. I am not exactly clear why except dr felt it would not be absorbed in dose needed. I found this excerpt from u of m which is consistent with my dr's view:
        "In a person with true [anemia], initial B12 supplementation should begin with an injection given by a qualified healthcare professional. After blood abnormalities are reversed, maintenance supplementation can be successfully accomplished with oral vitamin B12 at 1,000 to 2,000 mcg (1 to 2 mg) per day and does not require further injections. In a person lacking intrinsic factor, only about 1% of this oral amount (10–20 mcg) will be absorbed, but that amount is more than sufficient to prevent future vitamin B12 deficiency. Many physicians are unaware of this well-researched option and thus unnecessarily recommend lifelong B12 injections. " http://www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/hn-2924006
        Good luck. Suebee

Comment

Working...
        X