STUDY: High openness, low neuroticism linked to better memory in MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUDY: High openness, low neuroticism linked to better memory in MS

So me being an outgoing goof might actually be personality trait that offers some protection against my MS? Wonder if I amp up the goof, I'll get even more benefit, ha. FYI, I posted details of the personality traits below. - D

Mult Scler. 2017 Jan 1:1352458516685417. doi: 10.1177/1352458516685417. [Epub ahead of print]

Protective personality traits: High openness and low neuroticism linked to better memory in multiple sclerosis.

Leavitt VM1,*Buyukturkoglu K2,*Inglese M3,*Sumowski JF2.
    Author information:*
    1Department of Neurology, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY, USA.
    2Department of Neurology, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY, USA.
    3Departments of Neurology, Radiology and Neuroscience, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY, USA/Department of Neuroscience, Rehabilitation, Ophthalmology, Genetics, Maternal and Child Health (DINOGMI), University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:*
    Memory impairment in multiple sclerosis (MS) is common, although few risk/protective factors are known.

OBJECTIVE:*
    To examine relationships of personality to memory/non-memory cognition in MS.

METHOD:*
    80 patients completed a cognitive battery and a personality scale measuring the "Big 5" traits: openness, neuroticism, agreeableness, extraversion, and conscientiousness.

RESULTS:*
    Memory was most related to openness, with higher openness linked to better memory and lower risk for memory impairment, controlling for age, atrophy, education, and intelligence quotient (IQ). Lower neuroticism was also related to better memory, and lower conscientiousness to memory impairment. Non-memory cognition was unrelated to personality.

CONCLUSION:*
    Personality may inform predictive models of memory impairment in MS.

PMID: 28067603

Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

From Wikipedia.

Openness to experience: (inventive/curious vs. consistent/cautious). Appreciation for art, emotion, adventure, unusual ideas, curiosity, and variety of experience. Openness reflects the degree of intellectual curiosity, creativity and a preference for novelty and variety a person has. It is also described as the extent to which a person is imaginative or independent, and depicts a personal preference for a variety of activities over a strict routine. High openness can be perceived as unpredictability or lack of focus. Moreover, individuals with high openness are said to pursue self-actualization specifically by seeking out intense, euphoric experiences, such as skydiving, living abroad, gambling, et cetera. Conversely, those with low openness seek to gain fulfillment through perseverance, and are characterized as pragmatic and data-driven—sometimes even perceived to be dogmatic and closed-minded. Some disagreement remains about how to interpret and contextualize the openness factor.

Conscientiousness: (efficient/organized vs. easy-going/careless). A tendency to be organized and dependable, show self-discipline, act dutifully, aim for achievement, and prefer planned rather than spontaneous behavior. High conscientiousness is often perceived as stubbornness and obsession. Low conscientiousness is associated with flexibility and spontaneity, but can also appear as sloppiness and lack of reliability.[4]

Extraversion: (outgoing/energetic vs. solitary/reserved). Energy, positive emotions, surgency, assertiveness, sociability and the tendency to seek stimulation in the company of others, and talkativeness. High extraversion is often perceived as attention-seeking, and domineering. Low extraversion causes a reserved, reflective personality, which can be perceived as aloof or self-absorbed.[4]

Agreeableness: (friendly/compassionate vs. analytical/detached). A tendency to be compassionate and cooperative rather than suspicious and antagonistic towards others. It is also a measure of one's trusting and helpful nature, and whether a person is generally well-tempered or not. High agreeableness is often seen as naive or submissive. Low agreeableness personalities are often competitive or challenging people, which can be seen as argumentative or untrustworthy.[4]

Neuroticism: (sensitive/nervous vs. secure/confident). The tendency to experience unpleasant emotions easily, such as anger, anxiety, depression, and vulnerability. Neuroticism also refers to the degree of emotional stability and impulse control and is sometimes referred to by its low pole, "emotional stability". A high need for stability manifests as a stable and calm personality, but can be seen as uninspiring and unconcerned. A low need for stability causes a reactive and excitable personality, often very dynamic individuals, but they can be perceived as unstable or insecure.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Fi...onality_traits
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

With regard to neurotisim ... I'm screwed...
      But is it no wonder that MSers that are worried about symptoms and "what if" fills their brain with worry instead of memory!

Maybe I can research on google how to be less neurotic.....

Comment

Working...
      X