Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you considered active for your level of MS disability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you considered active for your level of MS disability?

Journal of Neural Transmission

Physical activity participation according to the pyramidal, sensory, and cerebellar functional systems in multiple sclerosis

Authors
    Alon Kalron, Lior Frid, Roy Aloni, Shay Menascu, Uri Givon

Neurology and Preclinical Neurological Studies -
    First Online: 31 October 2019

Abstract

The objective of the study was to examine the differences in physical activity participation with the pyramidal, cerebellar, and sensory functional systems in people with multiple sclerosis (PwMS).

This cross-sectional study included 289 PwMS with a median EDSS of 2.0 (range 0–6.5) and a mean disease duration of 6.8 (SD = 8.4) years. The Godin leisure-time exercise questionnaire (GLTEQ) assessed physical activity participation.

The sample was divided into seven groups according to the pyramidal, cerebellar, and sensory functional system scores derived from the EDSS data. Additionally, PwMS were divided into three physical activity subgroups (active, moderately active, and insufficiently active). Furthermore, PwMS were categorized into four levels of disability based on their global Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS) score [very mild (0–1.5), mild (2.0–3.5), moderate (4.0–5.5), and severe (6.0–6.5)].

In the physical activity subgroups, 159 (55.0%) were classified as insufficiently active, 59 (20.4%) as moderately active, and 71 (24.6%) as active. Pyramidal, cerebellar, and sensory impairments were demonstrated in 134 (46.4%), 73 (25.3%), and 85 (29.4%) patients, respectively. No differences were found for the GLTEQ scores for all seven functional system groups (P value = 0.168).

As for the EDSS disability subgroups, the percentage of active patients (moderately at least) were 60%, 45.8%, 36.5%, and 15.4%, for the very mild, mild, moderate, and severe subgroups, respectively.

This study found that participation in leisure-time physical activity is independent from the pyramidal, cerebellar, and sensory functional systems in PwMS.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Yes!

Living on a small farm helps with that a lot. There is always something that requires repair, cleaning, moving, removing, built, etc!

Chasing after my autistic adult son and my goats helps a lot too!
    Retired engineer, now hobby farmer with goats, chickens, an old dog,and a lazy barn cat!
    Watch my goats at GoatsLive.com
    Active in amateur radio
    Linux geek, blogging at lnxgoat.com
    M.S. since 2000

Comment

Hi Goatherder. Farming sounds great for brain and body stimulation! I just checked the video stream to see your goats and ..duhhh. they're sleeping, 'cause I guess you're in North America and I'm in Southeast Asia...way different time zones

Comment

Working...
      X