The Royal Wedding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Royal Wedding

I know this has nothing to do with MS but I just couldn't resist writing a tidbit on this big event, even just to get our minds off of MS for a minute. Not only was it a big event in the UK but also it was a holiday. I really enjoyed the build up and the actual ceremony. Kate Middleton or as she is now known as Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, looked absolutely stunning in her wedding dress. There was also a lot of whispering between her and the prince groom. If any of you were wondering what was said, I was very intrigued that a professional forensic lip reader that can lip read in - Get this - Arabic, Spanish, German, Japanese, and English was able to sus out a lot of what was said.

http://www.prokerala.com/news/articles/a218351.html

This long wedding program also had footage of people throughout Britain celebrating the marriage. Lots of street parties and neighbors getting together.

One thing I was extremely baffled at though was that Barack Obama was not invited. It seemed discourteous as loads of other titled people filled the church. I seem to remember also that Obama was not invited to Chelsea Clinton's wedding as well? Very strange indeed. David Beckham (who always gets front row seats to everything including LA Lakers games) and his wife Posh were natural guests there.

So there you have it. My brief take on this Royal Wedding from an American in Britain point of view. I would like to hear from any of you if there was a lot of TV coverage in the States.

Stateside Royal watcher

Hi Stella- I was up at 4am today to watch the Royal wedding. I went to high school in Australia many moons ago and became a fan of the Royal family there.
    I heard an explanation of why Obama wasn't invited. Maybe I can relate what I heard coherently. Since William is not the next heir to the throne (his dad is), the wedding was not a State event. So, only select heads of state were invited. It was mostly heads of state of countries who still recognize the Monarchy as the head of government- Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc. Other heads of state from countries where Kate or William have ties were also invited.
    I don't think Obama was slighted.
    In terms of the coverage on TV- it was on at least 8 channels beginning 2-3 hours before the ceremony. Most of the major networks broadcast our national news from London all week. I was rather disappointed with TV coverage because they didn't identify most of the guests arriving at the wedding. I recognized Princess Anne and a few others, but not many. I thought Sarah Ferguson should have been invited, I was glad her girls were there.
    The selection of hats at the wedding was facinating. Except for the Kentucky Derby, hats aren't worn around here much.
    Overall, it was really fun to watch. I made myself a pot of tea, wore my best robe and thoroughly enjoyed the happy event.

Pell

Comment

Hi Pell,

thanks for your response. I am glad you enjoyed the Royal Wedding. Very interesting about Obama not being invited but makes a lot of sense and that thought crossed my mind. I, too, have a fascination with the Royals so it's good to hear your views as well and how it was in the states.

Stella

Comment

Originally posted by pawpaw View Post
        Hi Stella- I was up at 4am today to watch the Royal wedding. I went to high school in Australia many moons ago and became a fan of the Royal family there.
        I heard an explanation of why Obama wasn't invited. Maybe I can relate what I heard coherently. Since William is not the next heir to the throne (his dad is), the wedding was not a State event. So, only select heads of state were invited. It was mostly heads of state of countries who still recognize the Monarchy as the head of government- Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc. Other heads of state from countries where Kate or William have ties were also invited.
        I don't think Obama was slighted.
        In terms of the coverage on TV- it was on at least 8 channels beginning 2-3 hours before the ceremony. Most of the major networks broadcast our national news from London all week. I was rather disappointed with TV coverage because they didn't identify most of the guests arriving at the wedding. I recognized Princess Anne and a few others, but not many. I thought Sarah Ferguson should have been invited, I was glad her girls were there.
        The selection of hats at the wedding was facinating. Except for the Kentucky Derby, hats aren't worn around here much.
        Overall, it was really fun to watch. I made myself a pot of tea, wore my best robe and thoroughly enjoyed the happy event.

Pell
        Hi Pell,

meant to say that I agree, Sarah Ferguson should have been invited. It was quite sad that she didn't but from the articles I have read, I think she has brought some embarrassment to the Royal family in recent years. I also gather that William has his mother's nature and still felt a sense of appreciation towards her and if it was only up to him I think she would have been invited. Also, I read that she has been out of the country during this time. Who is to say if it is true or not. One might never know but you are right, it was good to see her girls there. All grown up and looking a lot like her mom. Especially Princess Beatrice looks a lot like her mom but you can still see their father in them:

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Princes...ls/S0yUpiuf3cq

I don't think that is right that Prince William's father is the next in line for the throne. Especially since he married Camilla and she is divorced. That should have never been allowed as look how Prince Edward had to abdicate because of Wallis Simpson (because she was divorced and catholic?). Look how they got run out of the country as well. To Paris. But just goes to show how they can change the law so quick if they want. I could have sworn I heard someone commentate that Prince William's turn for the crown is not far off. I could be wrong though and just wishful thinking.

Stella

Comment

Working...
        X