ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > MS Fitness

Old 07-26-2019, 06:46 PM
MS Yoda

The heat is still on around here too guys, of course Dave and I don't generally get the humidity you can Veronica and I agree, it makes a huge difference. Did you know, just being out in this kind of heat makes your heart beat faster? It's your heart's way of cooling your brain and nervous system by pumping more coolant (blood) to your brain after it's been run around the radiator of your sweaty body. When you can't cool your brain down, you are in trouble as can happen in extreme heat and humidity.

I am getting out on a regular basis here, just have to get out early and sometimes keep it short to the extent I wore myself out this week. A buddy and I climbed Lookout Mtn. last week, took the long route and got around 2,000 ft in something like 20 miles. I averaged a heart rate of 162 bpm for just over 50 minutes and although I was really slow, I still managed to cut 2 minutes off of my previous time. I was happy with that and we were home by 10, before things heated up too much. It did wear me out though, the next two rides I did were slow and slower, so now I'm taking a couple of days off.

In other news, one of my buddies asked me to help him train for the senior games. This particular buddy is very tuned into training methods and I am pretty well versed in sports physiology, thanks in part to a number of the articles Dave posts here, so it's really a good match. He already swept the senior games in cycling once, was forced to move up a category and now will have to cut about 10% off his times in order to podium again. So far we are in 100% agreement on his training, a rarity for us. We're never in 100% agreement on anything. The goal is to at least podium on three events, hill climb, road race and time trial. This should be a ton of fun and I won't have to do the work, I just need to make sure he's doing it!

Karen, speaking of accommodating persons with disabilities, I posted my MS 150 rides on Strava and damned if the AI in the program didn't have the audacity to complain about how slow I am getting!!! Granted, the program may not know about my MS but it does know how old I am. It occurs to me that artificial intelligence needs to be brought up to date on dealing with older people and persons with disabilities and we might as well get started on that too!!!

What's happening out there friends?

Larry
Old 07-29-2019, 12:30 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Larry. The typical max heart rate, 100% effort, for someone 69 is ... 151. And you averaged eleven beats ABOVE that? For nearly an HOUR?! Jesus, I knew you were a beast, but holy cow.

My last training ride had me in the mid 140s for short stretches, but mostly hovered in the 120s. I too notice that when it is hot, my HR stays elevated. Even after a water break I can get into the cardio zone in seconds, even if that wasn't my intention! For that reason I've tried adding more cooling breaks so I can go longer (and harder for HIIT).

Then I saw on FB the MS marathoner Cheryl, who on her San Fran race was in her 90%+ zone for 17 minutes, and THREE HOURS in her 80-90% zone, averaging in the 150s. My god, I'm glad I don't compare myself with MS friends.

Do what you can, folks. I'd love to hear about heart rates below the stratosphere....
Old 07-30-2019, 03:05 PM
Veteran Misfit

The heat here has been keeping me from riding in the evenings after work, but still getting out on the kayak, bike, and horse early mornings on weekends to beat the heat.

Larry, Strava algorithms are set on type A ultra competitive types LOL no wonder. My garmin watch is currently set up to auto share my rides with strava but I don't like how it is always "pushing" to beat others on segments and always pushing to get improvements. I am liking Training Peaks as a means to record rides and Heart Rate data, so that I can match my perceived effort against HR actuals to make sure I am not overdoing it and knowing when to take some extra recover or tone it down a notch on next ride. I have been able to show an improvement in my 60min avg heart rate (my age is 46 btw), has gone from 154bpm in May to 164 bpm on my last ride, and I recovered well with no soreness just fatigue (cured with a 3 hr nap lol) from the last so I know my fitness it improving. I also like Training Peaks for their "fatigue score" which is a way to track overall training volume.

For the Tri I was focusing on short higher intensity rides, and now I am working on adding distance with a little less intensity, Saturday was a 40km bike with several rest stops (although the mosquitoes were ferocious so had to get going again quick), getting ready for MS Bike weekend of Aug 24th need to be able to do 50k each day, so I am well on my way.

Interestingly my heart rate pattern when I am horse back riding and kayaking averages around 125 bpm so while both don't get the ticker going as much they are great core/balance workouts on the horse, and upper body workout on the kayak. bonus being on the water with the kayak makes hot temperatures more bearable.

sorry Dave not sure this counts as the heart rates below the stratosphere you were looking for?

Keep on keeping on....or paddling on....

Last edited by cl3me; 07-30-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:04 PM
MS Yoda

A little update before I take off for the "Dark Continent". All is well although it took a couple of weeks to get back to normal after my last Rituxan infusion. I'm sure I only notice it because I really do try to keep my exercise intensity up. I'll have to ask my docs why the Rituxan would do that to a system that is already substantialy B-cell depleted.

At any rate I'm still getting between 5 and 7 rides in every two weeks and getting good Hitt sessions on at least three of those. I've also been walking more, in fact my last walk was a little over 2 miles but I couldn't have done it without the AFO and a cane. Also still doing yoga and stretching sessions. All in all, I don't think I could be any more ready for a trip to Africa!

Dave, I do have a considerably higher than average max heart rate but my resting heart rate, an important marker, is in the mid 50's. It's just another one of those things that is different for each individual. My docs don't seem to be concerned about it but they do keep me current on testing to assure that I don't blow a gasket. Actually I have slowed down a bit these last few years, pushing too hard can be hazardous, particularly as we age.

Karen, my buddy and I are using Training Peaks. We're both big Joel Friel fans. My buddy's efforts are phenomenal, makes me look like a piker! He is proving that an almost 70 yo can increase strength through intensity although it requires a little more recovery time. It's encouraging for an equally as old MSer. Since I might not get back early enough, good luck on the MS ride later this month!

Veronica, hope you've been able to get out. I love the idea of concentrating on riding for fun. And it sounds like getting involved with your ride planning committee could be a super constructive way to do that! BTW, I'm getting clobbered by e-bikes around here. Got passed by a chick on a comfort bike the other day. Gave her a couple minutes then tried to pull her back but every time I got to within about 25 feet of her she took off until I finally gave up. Got passed by about 6 other bikes that day. I could see and/or hear the e-motors on at least some of them.

One last thing, I've been keeping my rides pretty close to home recently because of the heat. While cruising down the trail one day, a large peregrine falcon flew past me and landed in a tree near by. I almost crashed into someone watching her! The following day I saw her smaller mate but he didn't stop. They seem to be hanging out around a golf course that borders the two trails I ride most frequently and they are providing a little more incentive to get out. I hope they hang around.

Back in a couple of weeks, stay with it guys,

Larry

Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 08-06-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:12 AM
Veteran Misfit

Hope everyone is enjoying summer.

Since I have stopped triathlon training and particularly running, the spasticity in my calf is much improved - no more Charlie horse intense knot and no more hobbling around in the morning while it loosens up.

Been kayaking and horseback riding instead. Attached some pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kayak Half Moon small.jpg (86.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg BHP Trail Ride with Slew small.jpg (76.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 08-23-2019, 11:45 AM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Love the pics, cl3me! And Larry, that's a low resting HR. I've got a friend, though, who puts us all to shame. But he doesn't have MS! His resting heart rate is so low doctors worry if their equipment is broken: 34!!! When he had surgery recently (he fell off his bike and hurt his shoulder) it dropped to 28 and they gave him epinephrine because they were freaked.

Temps here have been unusually roasty (mid 90s, more July than late August temps), so my rides have been shorter than usual. But getting in solid HIIT sessions. Hope everyone is keeping on keeping on.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:50 PM
Veteran Misfit

Default MS Bike Tour

Local MS Bike Tour was this weekend, did the 50km (short) option on Saturday with our team. We had strong head winds on the way out but that turned into a tailwind for the ride back, and other than a flat tire from a roofing staple, 10 km from the finish, which we were able to swap out with a spare tube and finish the ride. There were 350 riders and over $300,000 raised. We had a great dinner and presentations on Saturday. I was tenting and had a few scary moments as high winds and rain woke me up a couple of times during the night but luckily my tent held firm. Sunday morning there was only a slight drizzle for the start of the ride. Unfortunately I had yet another flat this time I. The front tire just 5k into the ride and I had no more spares. It was also starting to rain harder, so I called it a day and told my team to carry on while I grabbed a SAG vehicle ride back the the start. Overall a great weekend, there’s already talk of next year from the team.

Cheers
Karen

Last edited by cl3me; 08-25-2019 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:28 PM
MS Yoda

Default Out of Africa

An African safari wasn't ever on my bucket list but it definitely should have been! Lions close enough to our open side vehicle to reach out and touch, cheetah, leopard, elephant, myriads of gazelle, zebra, rhino, hippopotamus, crocodile, hyena, jackal and birds galore. But what stood out the most was the sheer abundance of vegetation and animal life and the overall simplicity of how such a complex ecosystem works so flawlessly in an undisturbed environment! Definitely a worthy bucket list item.

But back to reality now. I did 3 rides last week, the second one a huge HITT ride. I'm sure the riding help get through the jet lag. My new gut biome, courtesy of African food, dirt and dust, is another matter though. It's not terribly problematic but it certainly is noticeable. If it cures my MS, I'll be sure to let you know.

Congrats on the MS ride Karen, wind, rain, flats and all. Glad you and your team managed to enjoy it anyway.

Gotta say, I'm really looking forward to fall,

Larry

Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 08-31-2019 at 02:32 PM.