No announcement yet.

Tingling after exercise, advice please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tingling after exercise, advice please!

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, and I have a question if someone could give me an advice.

I'm 32 years old, and I had my first MS symptom when I was 24. I had optic neuritis 4 times since then, and I have lesions on my brain, but they're not active. Until now I didn't have any issues with walking. I'm trying to be active as much as possible. I walk 5 km 2-3 times a week and sometimes ride a bicycle and hike. But last week I might have done too much physical activity. I went on a hike, but later that afternoon, I noticed tingling in my legs, and I feel it every day since then. It isn't like my whole leg has gone numb, it's more like tingling sensation on the surface of my skin. Has anyone else had problem like this after exercising, that is lasting for a week? Should I take some rest, or continue with physical activity? Do you think that exercise triggered a relapse?

Hi glad to have you on forum. It has helped me understand MS better than any book or dr. My personal experience with MS is yes an increase of symptoms can occur and last days after. I jokingly compare myself to grandma out to dinner and then she is fatigued the rest of the week. If I do too much physical activity the resulting fatigue impacts my whole body and my swallowing is uncoordinated for a awhile. Ive had to be disciplined and not freak out thinking that im having a flare up and trust it is just an enhanced symptom as a result of my recent activity. I get weird tingling, so.etimes sunburn feel on skin for no apparent reason or when I vacuum my hands continue to tingle after vacuum is off. I found keeping body temperature cool during work out reduces tingling and appyling a cooling menthol product like bio freeze to skin can trick brain to stop tingling. I my experience is helpful to you and welcome to group

Comment

Originally posted by iva View Post
      Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, and I have a question if someone could give me an advice.

I'm 32 years old, and I had my first MS symptom when I was 24. I had optic neuritis 4 times since then, and I have lesions on my brain, but they're not active. Until now I didn't have any issues with walking. I'm trying to be active as much as possible. I walk 5 km 2-3 times a week and sometimes ride a bicycle and hike. But last week I might have done too much physical activity. I went on a hike, but later that afternoon, I noticed tingling in my legs, and I feel it every day since then. It isn't like my whole leg has gone numb, it's more like tingling sensation on the surface of my skin. Has anyone else had problem like this after exercising, that is lasting for a week? Should I take some rest, or continue with physical activity? Do you think that exercise triggered a relapse?
      I haven't experienced that with exercise, but I have with employment. The last job I had, which was one I really wanted, made me face my "ceiling" as it were, in terms of what level of physical activity I could handle for a job. I've worked in healthcare for over 10 years, so I'm used to being on my feet all day, but this was just next level pushing myself, and after a month my right leg decided if I wasn't going to willingly stop, it was going to stop me.

I literally worked an entire 12.5hr shift on a right leg that felt tingly and kinda weak (figuring it was nothing and would go away), and the next day I was limping around something fierce, to the point where I went to work, turned around and left, ended up being off for a few weeks while we treated the now-obvious flare-up, and then quit the job. MS is so much...fun lol.

Comment

Iva, to answer your worries about a relapse, no, exercise does not trigger them (studies confirm this). However, it can temporarily amp up symptoms. If the symptoms are sticking, then unfortunately that's likely just your crappy MS.

Please keep up your exercising--it sounds like you are doing everything right!
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
        X