Cooling vest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling vest

Has anyone purchased a cooling vest that you wear the backpack where it circulates ice water through the tubing in the vest?

I need something that lasts longer than the ice packs in the vest I have.

They melt and then retain heat so I end up feeling worse after maybe 40 min. to an hour. The hotter it is the less effective they are even though companies claim they work up to 4 hours.

If you have a system such as this how much does it weigh? How many hours can you wear it and stay cool. What is the site you purchased it at? I realize they are more expensive, but I am willing to pay for it if it honestly, really works.

Thank you.

Here are two backpack versions. They look to be the exact same, only with different tags (and prices). I have not yet reviewed them, but I would be very interested to hear your experience (or others). The Veskimo site has much more detail. It looks like the vest with water has a total weight of 12 lbs. That's about twice as heavy as your ice vest, but far more power. Hope this helps, Joy! - Dave

http://www.veskimo.com/proddetail.ph...ackpack-system

Veskimo Hydration Backpack Features

This insulated Hydration Backpack incorporates a high efficiency battery powered pump to supply ice chilled water to the Veskimo Microclimate Cooling Vest. Together, the Backpack and Vest comprise a fully self-contained Complete Personal Cooling System providing the user with comfort, convenience and unrestricted mobility. Fill with up to seven pounds of ice plus one pint or more of water for over four hours of body cooling. The pump can run for eight hours using eight alkaline or ten NiMH Rechargeable AA Batteries in the Quick-Change Power Pack. An optional Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery can be used to power the pump for 6+ hours, or an optional External Power Cord connected to a 12V DC source can be used for continuous operation, eliminating the need for batteries. This backpack also functions as a hydration pack, serving up chilled, filtered drinking water on demand with the pump on or off.

Backpack Features and Specifications
    Extra large 4.4 quart capacity reservoir made from ultra-tough thermoplastic polyurethane
    Large 5.5-inch wide slide-opening top on reservoir for quick filling and easy cleaning
    Can be filled with ice cubes, cylindrical ice blocks or four 1/2 liter frozen water bottles (used as quick-change ice cartridges)
    5/8-inch thick, 10 layer high performance radiant reflective foil-faced gas-filled thermal insulation surrounds the entire reservoir
    Single charge of ice lasts for 4+ hours (actual duration dependant on user activity level and ambient temperature)
    Small high-efficiency pump circulates ice-chilled water through the cooling vest
    Ten NiMH rechargeable or eight alkaline (single use) AA cells in a Quick-Change Power Pack provide 8+ hours of continuous pump operation
    Optional Lithium Ion Battery Pack provides 6+ hours of continuous pump operation at one-half the size & weight of the AA Power Pack
    Cooling rate can be adjusted to personal preference using the convenient power switch on left shoulder strap
    Dry-break style quick-disconnect fittings for easy connection to vest with no leakage when disconnected
    Backpack also serves as a source of chilled, filtered drinking water (hydration pack) with the pump on or off
    Drink tube on right shoulder strap is thermally insulated to keep first sip cold
    Bite-valve with removable cover and shut-off valve prevents leakage during transport or storage
    130-micron inline filter on the drink tube prevents any particulates in the reservoir from reaching the bite valve
    Backpack constructed to Mil-Spec standards using rugged 600 Denier Cordura Nylon
    Fully adjustable shoulder, waist and sternum straps with quick-snap buckle closures to comfortably fit all sizes
    Padded back panel and shoulder straps with breathable mesh provide enhanced ventilation
    Zippered external top pocket with key clip and mesh organizer for storing on-the-go essentials
    Mesh pocket on left shoulder strap holds cell phone, MP3 player or snack bar for convenient access while wearing the backpack
    Lower pocket holds battery pack for quick and easy access
    Reflective safety stripes for high visibility in low light conditions double as attachment loops for shock cord to strap extra items to the outside of the backpack, or to attach an auxiliary expansion pack
    Low-profile design keeps pack stable and prevents interference with helmet
    Dimensions: 21" tall x 7" wide x 6" deep (max) at bottom, 3" deep at top
    Weight empty: 2.5 pounds without batteries, 2.8 pounds with Lithium-Ion Battery Pack, 3.1 pounds with AA Battery Pack
    Weight full with AA Battery Pack and reservoir filled to maximum capacity (4.4 quarts): 12.0 pounds
    Color: Black with grey trim
    Warranty: One year on all materials & workmanship
    Patent pending

And another, with different tags....
    http://www.amazon.com/KewlFlow-Circu.../dp/B003MXM9GA
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

Cooling Vest

Joy, Have you looked at the cooling vest from Glacier Tek? Good quality, not ice, reasonable cost. Lasts about 2 1/2 hours. www.coolvest.com

Comment

Working...
      X