No announcement yet.

MSers in Training 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Veronica, love the latest update and the pics! Gorgeous. And your update, Larry! As for me and my trike, it has arrived! Yesterday I took it out for its maiden voyage. I'll have more on the experience later (on deadline with other projects), but it was crazy fun. And fast. On the LOWEST boost setting I was as fast as Laura. I was a little worried the speed would mean it would be harder to get into the cardio zone, but I crested 150 bpm, no prob. And on that quick ride I hit 10 miles lickety split, so I see far longer rides in my near future. The trike is pretty trick, so there's lots more to discover.

Another bonus: being a little higher than my other trike means it's easier to get on and off. So far, aces. Pics to come...
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

Gorgeous area to ride in Veronica, super pics. Glad you've been able to get out.

Action pics Dave!

Got my birthday ride in, 70 miles plus one for luck! Most of it was on a paved over railroad track with a little climb at the end. I can see more of those old railroad trails in my future.

Larry

Comment

Happy b-day, Larry! Hard to believe I knew you when you were a pup in your 50s. As for action pics, the trike is still a work in progress and is getting tweaks back in Colorado. There were a few issues that couldn't have been foreseen without a test drive. So I am temporarily back on my regular handcycle, cranking away 3 days a week. With the virus accelerating again here in NM, we are being extra careful and avoiding trails for the most part.

Also just finished filming a video on the importance of MS and exercise. Should be coming out next month! If it goes as well as I thought it did, it should be pretty trick.

As for others exercising, is the pandemic making it harder or easier to get motivated to exercise? Curious...
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

Full lock-down other than essential services here in Winterpeg, winter is here so biking is out, gyms/pools are closed, so one saving grace that horse care is considered essential so I am still able to get in some pony time, masks worn in the stables but not while riding.

I have actually pulled out, dusted off my old Wii game console and having some fun with the Wii Fit Plus and games to get off the couch lol

My job in agri-food logistics is considered essential so I am still going to the office for work, albeit masks mandatory in common areas at work and we are working split shifts in order to reduce capacity in the office.

Bizzare to say the least.

We have been using a meal kit delivery service (they deliver a meal kit with all ingredients and recipe) to the door, so we poor a glass of wine each,, divide up the recipe tasks and have fun trying new recipes every week. Lots of extra time to cook now! Ha!

Cheers
          Karen
          Callenge life before life challenges you - from inside collar of my "Bike Off More Than You Chew" bike jersey

Comment

Karen, it sounds like you are slogging/sledding through the pandemic okay! Here in New Mexico the temperature swings are pretty big; this week we'll be in the 60s, but it'll be in the 30s this weekend. Translated into Celsius: warmish to chillyish!

With the changing temps I'm doing more exercise at home, and a decent number of exercise videos with Laura. I just modify the exercises to suit me from my wheelchair. When it's not possible to simulate, I fall back on some favorite maneuvers to get my heartrate up. If the weather is really nasty, I use my indoor fan bike, cranking on the arms from the front. I can get my heart rate into the 140s if I push it!

Looking forward to this darn vaccine....
            Dave Bexfield
            ActiveMSers

Comment

Happy holidays you all! Grateful to be part of this awesome crew. Wishing everyone a very healthy happy wonderful BRAND new year! Bring it! ❤️ Suebee

Comment

Thanks Suebee!! I ditto that. And I'm definitely looking forward to 2021. I just checked my handcycle stats for the year:

130 days cycling
                200 hours on the trike
                900+ miles cycled

Not too shabby. I also put in another 100+ days of exercising at home. All in all a decently fit year! How about others out there? Any achievements to chime in on???
                Dave Bexfield
                ActiveMSers

Comment

Happy new year everyone!

I imagine we're all looking forward to a less tumultuous 2021, I know I certainly am. But 2020 wasn't a total bust, in fact it was the best year I've had on the bike in the last 4 years. I managed to get out 134 times for 300 hours, riding over 3,600 miles and climbing over 135,000 feet.

Karen, yes, it was also a good year to work on those culinary skills. I enjoy cooking and baking and this year definitely afforded the opportunity to expand one's repertoire of dishes and breads. Of course the best part is occasionally hearing someone at the table exclaim "Oh wow, that's really good".

Suebee, thank you for the well wishes and thank you also for being part of the group. Your input is always appreciated. Hopefully we'll see a return to normalcy in the near future.

And Dave, thanks for being a constant, steady inspiration. And nice job on the trike! Do tell what's going on with the new trike. I have visions of you having a Tesla battery or two installed in it in preparation for a cross country trip or some such. And yes, I'd also love to hear from everyone.

Again, Happy New Year all,
                  Larry

Comment

Working...
                  X