Denied Rituxan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denied Rituxan

Looking into and preparing for the inevitable Plan G, and my health insurer just declined Rituxan, stating there was "not enough evidence" to support the treatment's use in MS. Hmm. This is virtually the same drug the FDA has fast tracked and is set to approve at the end of the year.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Yeah, I don't get that one either Dave. Rituxan has been shown to be quite effective and it's cheaper by far than other therapies.

The neuros up here tell me they are normally able to argue insurance cos into changing their minds, a process you're probably a lot more familiar with than me, but it seems like it just shouldn't be like that.

Good luck,

Comment

Dave, United Health Care in New Mexico covers Rituxan for MS. Maybe this information will help convince your insurance company to cover it for you.

Comment

Dave, I'm sorry to hear you were denied Rituxan. As I have mentioned before, I had an aggressive quick MS progression initially, and so I keep on the lookout for treatments in case I restart an aggressive course. Here is a review of the use of Rituxan off label for MS in Europe and some speculation on the economic forces that may be at play in approval for MS. The post is from last year, maybe this background info might help you make your appeal. Good luck.
        link: http://multiple-sclerosis-research.b...-more-off.html

Comment

So the plot thickens. My neuro expects it to be approved today! We'll see if that happens. If so, my first infusion is scheduled for August 1.

Don't know what finally brought them around. Perhaps it was the cost savings ... or they just have a huge, caring heart for folks with MS. Hmm, I'm guessing probably the cost savings, ha.
          Dave Bexfield
          ActiveMSers

Comment

I guess Monday I'm getting my infusion. Plan G is a go! Does anyone know how long it typically takes?
            Dave Bexfield
            ActiveMSers

Comment

Hey Dave, the infusion generally takes 5 to 6 hours. It depends on the reaction you have to the drug, blood pressure, heart rate, itching, burning, flushing. The worse the reaction, the slower they'll make the drip. For me, there was kind of a hump to get over about 3 hours into the process. I was just about to scream uncle when those sensations began to alleviate. They must be aware of this because not too long after I got over the hump, they started increasing the flow rate - until it was practically a faucet - but my reaction continued to decrease.

Good luck and may this drug work for you,
              Larry

Comment

Originally posted by ActiveMSers View Post
                I guess Monday I'm getting my infusion. Plan G is a go! Does anyone know how long it typically takes?
                Plan GO GO Gadget Kick MS's Ass!
                girl1dir =)

Comment

Beaming you vibes, Dave and keep us posted.

Teena Marie

Comment

Working...
                  X