STUDY: Home-based training to improve manual dexterity in patients with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUDY: Home-based training to improve manual dexterity in patients with MS

Home-based training to improve manual dexterity in patients with multiple sclerosis: A randomized controlled trial

Abstract

Background: Impaired manual dexterity is frequent and disabling in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS), affecting activities of daily living (ADL) and quality of life.

Objective: We aimed to evaluate the effectiveness of a standardized, home-based training program to improve manual dexterity and dexterity-related ADL in MS patients.

Methods: This was a randomized, rater-blinded controlled trial. Thirty-nine MS patients acknowledging impaired manual dexterity and having a pathological Coin Rotation Task (CRT), Nine Hole Peg Test (9HPT) or both were randomized 1:1 into two standardized training programs, the dexterity training program and the theraband training program. Patients trained five days per week in both programs over a period of 4 weeks. Primary outcome measures performed at baseline and after 4 weeks were the CRT, 9HPT and a dexterous-related ADL questionnaire. Secondary outcome measures were the Chedoke Arm and Hand Activity Inventory (CAHAI-8) and the JAMAR test.

Results: The dexterity training program resulted in significant improvements in almost all outcome measures at study end compared with baseline. The theraband training program resulted in mostly non-significant improvements.

Conclusion: The home-based dexterity training program significantly improved manual dexterity and dexterity-related ADL in moderately disabled MS patients.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

This is fantastic news, but not surprising. PT can help immensely. I searched for the specific exercises used in this study, but no luck. So I've written the researchers! I'll post what I hear.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

I'd be interested in trying that program, Dave. Just this morning I poured my spoonful of instant coffee right beside the cup.

Comment

Working...
      X