STUDY: MS relapses not associated with exercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUDY: MS relapses not associated with exercise

Kinda cool that researchers found that if anything, exercise actually decreased the risk of relapsing. - Dave

Mult Scler. 2011 Jul 6. [Epub ahead of print]

Multiple sclerosis relapses are not associated with exercise.

Tallner A, Waschbisch A, Wenny I, Schwab S, Hentschke C, Pfeifer K, Mäurer M.
    Source
    Institute of Sport Science and Sport, University of Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany.

Abstract
    Since multiple sclerosis (MS) often affects physically active young individuals, it is important to know if exercise can result in increased disease activity. Therefore we used a self-report questionnaire to examine the relationship of different levels of sports activity and relapses in 632 patients with MS. In order to analyse whether subjective recall might have biased the results, we performed, in a subgroup of our sample, an objective assessment of clinical data and physical fitness parameters. We were unable to find any association between sports activity and clinical relapses in either of the two analyses. The group with highest activity even shows the lowermost mean values, standard deviations and range concerning the number of relapses. Our data suggest that physical activity has no significant influence on clinical disease activity.

PMID: 21733890 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Based on my experience this study turned up about what I would have expected for MSers who already exercise regularly. I still wonder about the experience of MSers who are just starting out if they start too hard, too fast.

Overall though, more vindication for the active MSer.

AMF

Comment

Working...
    X