No announcement yet.

Gilenya- Exercise induced hypertension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gilenya- Exercise induced hypertension?

I spent last week at Canyon Ranch- a spa with an intergrative medicine component. Since starting Gilenya in Decemter 2010, I have noted a decrease in my exercise tolerance and a decreased max heart rate. I have also had a drop in my VO2max as measure by the exercise physiologist at Canyon Ranch.
    2008- VO2 max 44, max HR 165
    2011 February- 2 months after starting Gilenya- VO2max 38, max HR 155
    2012 April- 16 months after starting Gilenya- VO2 max 34, Max HR 152
    BUT, the biggest concern is my BP during exercise. During this latest test my BP rose quickly with exercise and was 200/60 during strenuous exercise. Anything over 180 is abnormal. Unfortunately, they haven't checked my BP during exercise before, so I don't know if this is a new finding.
    There is a mouse study showing Gilenya can affect smooth muscle, so this could cause hypertension.
    Anyone else out there had a stress test that showed exercise induced hypertension? Those of you on Gilenya may want to check your BP during strenuous exercise. Let me know what you find.

Pell

Update on possible Gilenya side effect

My neurologist does not think the BP is due to the Gilenya. My internist isn't sure what to think.
    The plan- Off Gilenya for 6 weeks and then an exercise tolerance test with frequent BP checks.

I have noticed a difference in my heart rate and exercise tolerance off the Gilenya. It will be very interesting to see what effect it has on my exercise blood pressure.

I will post the results

Pell

Comment

That is really interesting Pell. Yes, please keep us posted!

Comment

Gilenya follow-up

I still had elevated blood pressure with exercise even off of Gilenya for 6 weeks.
        Another finding is that I have mild restrictive lung disease. The doctors don't know the cause of this but I started being short of breath with exercise a few months after starting Gilenya. Lung effects with Gilenya are known and some of the effects resolve when the med is stopped. It is not known if all of the effects resolve.
        I am definitely confused as to the course of action now.

Pell

Comment

A treadmill test revealed exercise induced hypertension for me about 7 years ago. I was tested again this year and had no evidence of it. What changed? Well - my cholesterol was actually a little high and so was my blood pressure. My genetic cards are stacked against me and even with exercise and at a healthy weight I have needed medication for both.

...\O/...
          Liv__Well
          ..../\.......

My Two Numb Feet - An MS Diary

Comment

New issue with Gilenya

I have now been diagnosed with Gilenya induced restrictive lung disease. My neurologist is investigating the situation but I am off the drug for now. The lung damage was evident in some of the animal studies on gilenya and have caused a number of people to discontinue the drug. The decreased FEV1 seems to be reversible but the issue with impaired gas diffusion is unknown. My FEV1 has normalized several months after discontinuing the drug but not the diffusion issue.
            I am pretty reluctant to start the Gilenya again without some definite assurances that the lung issue will not progress.

Pell
            Last edited by pawpaw; 07-10-2012, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X