No announcement yet.

Walking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all: Lots of talk about walking and lots of new members since I last checked in with you all! Happy to see it, for sure....

Walsh: concerning using a cane or walking sticks or crutches.....It took me a long time emotionally to use an aid. Just didn't want to be seen with it. About three years ago, my compensation gait resulted in a really nasty case of sciatica and, separately, a shin split on my stronger leg. Was rough rehabbing, very painful, and resulted in my having to use a cane. In essence I was using my strong leg as the crutch/cane...and this is what caused my issues. After I healed I was aware of just how much more confidence, and endurance I had when I used the cane in comparison with before I did so. Now I use two trekking poles to walk longer distances or inclines in comfort, or else I use a cane for much of my outdoor walking. I do not use the cane at home, or in my office, but usually need something if walking slowly with others nearby. I say all this just to play devil's advocate here. I really want to get off the cane/aids, but for now I walk longer, in better form, and confidently with the aids. And this has helped me get out there more often without injuring my good leg.

My walking routine continues, with peaks and valleys. Haven't been able to get anywhere near the collapse point walk I did in the fall when I started this program. And I think I see what some of my problem is.... in the winter, I really cut back on my cycling/spinning...shouldn't, but honestly, it is what I do. Never had an issue in doing so, but since I am now also working on walking better, I think I need to keep it going year round to get better results with my strides. Larry or Teena Marie, you could explain why this is to me! Also have learned that my stretching between segments needs to also focus on my back/core, as often when I am getting motor fatigue, it is the core muscles that help raise my leg that do not engage ( Oh, those core exercises!!) For my most recent walking routine, I put this into practice on the recovery periods that Herb has me add, and I really felt the difference. Still haven't taken this routine into the great outdoors yet.....very interested to see how I am on a track....

" Beyond mountains there are mountains"..... I like that Larry...... says it all....
    Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

Teena Marie, I asked my PT about the stairs and she is of the opinion it's a great exercise. She says the muscle contraction on the step up should come from the glute. She gave me another stair exercise of going up and down a stair case sideways. Like - lead with the left leg going down then lead with the right leg going back up, switch sides and repeat. Lifting the weak leg up to the next stair seemed to be the toughest part of that one for me.

I'm not getting much walking in Veronica, doing too much other stuff and I know that if I'm fatigued I won't be able to walk far. I will continue to do it when I can though. I also think part of the reason I may not be able to walk too far these days is because I am trying to walk better. It takes a lot more energy to walk correctly when you've been used to compensating in some fashion for so long. I'm also certain the walking poles help me maintain better form particularly on longer walks.

Comment

My Bike Friday arrived about a month ago. We have had a relatively early end to winter around here so I have been able to get out and ride. I still struggle to raise my leg high enough to get over the down tube on the bike but if need be, I can just lay it on its side and get on that way. So far I like it a lot. Wish I would have purchased the BF before I bought the trike. I love the trike but not as much as I love being up at the level with my fellow riders. I have signed up for the local M.S. 150 and the week long M.S. TRAM. Now I need to train since day one of the TRAM is 87 miles.
        I was having some back pain following a pilates class. Had an MRI and found out I have spinal stenosis. I had a steriod injection in my spine which seemed to help initially but seems to have worn off. I'm finding the real key for me is to stretch. I am doing that faithfully and am using a yoga strap to really stretch out my legs and hips. Regarding walking, someone mentioned it takes a lot of effort to walk correctly. I find that to be absolutely true for me. Pre-M.S. I'm sure we all took it for granted. Now it is a different story. I had been using one walking stick for most of my walking. I still do for shorter trips and around the office but anything of length, I use 2 and that really seems to help with my posture and back.
        I don't participate in the blog often but I love reading about what everyone is doing. My friends and family are amazed by the things I do but I don't hold a candle to what some of you are doing. Lots of inspiration on this blog!! Keep at it and I wish you all the best!

Comment

Hi all: I've been keeping up the treadmill work, seeing some improvement and small increases in distance. So it was time to get this show on the road, so to speak, and last Saturday I got in a dedicated walk along the river on a paved path that is straight and flat. Can't say that I was surprised, but could only get 1/2 mile in, and that was with four 1 minute rests...I basically sat down on each bench as I got to it...really feeling that I needed to stop each time... annoyed me, to say the least. But I have started the outside training. Herb reminded me that outside walking is an entirely different entity from treadmill walking, and now wants me to switch my training from inside to always outside. We also factored in that I did this at the end of a day that I was active during the day ( I thought I had given my body enough of a rest before this walk, but I realize that I still wasn't at my optimum as first thing in the morning.) Now, regardless of this, and the wind, which was strong at times, I think when I do this again this weekend, in the morning, I will see just about the same results, but sure hope I am wrong. Need to remember that this progress ( yes, I still think there WILL be progress...) is going to be incredibly slow and I have to pay attention to these subtle changes... I So want to improve a bit on the walking....

Comment

Hey all, I recently did a lot of walking in Iceland and Holland, some of it I even combined with biking. I am really, really glad I worked myself as hard as I did in the first few months of this year and I am ever so grateful for the PT I accidentally found and worked with. I think the combination of those two things enabled me to do quite a bit more walking than I thought would be likely.

It wasn't all good, I never went out with the group at night because I was just too beat and I wanted to rest up, never mind I'd probably had more than two beers by that time too. Overall I did pretty well for the first 11 or 12 days but the last few days of the trip I had to take it pretty easy as the legs just weren't working well at all. It will be interesting to see how things are after I've recovered for a week or so.

Glad you're getting outside Veronica, there's no doubt it's not the same as a treadmill or even a smooth surface like a shopping center. Concerning making progress, what I've found is that I rarely get to the point I'd like to but I always find some area of improvement, frequently unexpected - and that never fails to keep me coming back.

I might have found a walking buddy. A fellow MSer from one of my yoga classes. She's faster than I am but that's ok, it'll be incentive and besides, I'm used to struggling to keep up. With a little luck there could even be some hiking in my future.

Comment

Walking

I walk on a treadmill at an incline. I start at an incline of 4 and gradually increase to 12, and then back down. I don't go at a fast pace because my left foot can only keep up at 2.5 mph. But, the incline helps build strength and endurance. And, I can hold on to the sides for balance. I also like the air conditioned environment of the gym. Tonight I walked the neighborhood, and found it much more difficult to lift my foot the farther I went, and the top of my foot hurt from the lifting. I'm not sure why increasing the incline on the treadmill helps, vs. walking outdoors, but then maybe it's the A/C.

Comment

Having Problems With WalkAide

I am getting very frustrated. During my test period and setting up when I finally got my own, it was like a miracle. I could walk further and longer, I had more energy, I didn't need the cane 24/7 and certainly not at home. For the last few months everything seems worse when I have it on. It lifts my foot when I test it, but then when I start to walk, my foot and leg start to drag. I have gone back to wearing my AFO. Has anyone else experienced this? I have gone to 3 separate Hanger clinics, and they all said the placement of the electrodes is fine. They all want to put the cuff right under my knee, but when I do that, my foot jerks strongly to the right and I feel I am constantly fighting against that. It feels better when I put it an inch or two below, but then I have the problems mentioned above. I don't know what to do!

Comment

This sounds pretty frustrating. I have no experience with the Walkaide but would continue to pursue the company and those that set you up initially.

Good luck and keep on moving.

Teena Marie

Comment

I have had a Walkaide for about five years now...it is not as great as I hoped...

I was just evaluating why I rarely use it. I am a farmer and do a lot of my work crawling in the fields. So naturally I can not wear the Walkaide then. But even walking around the farm is so full of tripping possibilities that I did not wear it because I thought I would smash it! Stupid me. Better to smash it than keep it in the closet.

If you do not place it in the correct place, you are not simulating that nerve that lifts your foot. (I forget the name of the nerve but it begins with the letter "p". That is probably why it is not helping your leg.

Good luck

Comment

Great posts

Wow as a new member to this sight I found all of this information very helpful I have trouble with my right leg with foot drop and can get very frustrated while walking. I am beginning to use the treadmill more and really like some of the programs that are being used. Can't wait to try them out at the gym Monday!!!

Comment

WalkAide

I know how important placement is and that it has to be on that nerve. All 3 orthotists have said that and they all put it in the same place, but then my foot jerks heavily to the right. Maybe it needs to be recalibrated. I will go back and see him. The few times it worked, it was wonderful.

I just found a personal trainer to come to my house and put together an exercise program for me. What a difference! I'm already feeling better.

Comment

Hello again

I know what you mean about your foot being painfully jerked to the right. I remember that painful experience. I am sure you turned the setting down so it must be placement.

I did go back last year to get it recalibrated as I had lost weight. I also got the newer cuff as mine was very old.
                          Linda

Comment

First off I have to say I have no idea where to post this.It's a combination of the Walking thread, in reference to Kelly Williamson's wonderful piece on dealing with setbacks, and our MSers in Training thread.

I'm post surgery now just two weeks, and feeling pretty energized. My PT and I have strategized how I can keep up aerobic exercising with unsteady balance and my right arm in a sling for another month. When I have gone out in these past two weeks, I have used my cane, but to walk distances I have been best served by my trekking poles, which of course are out of the question right now. And honestly I'm a bit nervous about walking on uneven sidewalks as the last thing I need to do is to have a tumble.

So, on the warmer days that we have had I have been able to get outside and just walk on a nice stretch of sidewalk that is relatively flat back and forth. But what I am finding is that inside I have a wonderful little circular route that is turning into my indoor track. I have been walking from kitchen to hall to living room to kitchen again over and over and over! I don't have a Fitbit right now so I've tucked my iPhone into the sling sleeve so that I have a record of steps and distance.Man, this is working well... I've been able to duplicate distance that I was last doing on the treadmill before the surgery. And the extra bonus here is that I am doing it without the cane!

I am very determined to not let this roadblock of shoulder surgery be my undoing.

Comment

I love it Veronica, where there's a will there's a way huh. Same great attitude, you are an inspiration. May this all be over before you know it.

Larry

Comment

Long overdue post. Amazing work, Veronica. I agree with your combination of the various threads. You are succeeding in circumventing a significant roadblock. Keep it up and keep posting.

After not much walking this winter (my office is home based now), I'm getting out more. I was worried that my gains may have taken a hit but I'm happy to say, I feel pretty solid and stable on my legs. They are strong after my increased pool work and training. I have also found my Kegel exercises for better bladder control has helped recruit some dormant deep pelvic floor muscles that in turn is helping with better hip alignment and stabilization and overall better balance.

Happy spring.

Teena Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X