ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > MS Fitness

Old 05-23-2018, 01:20 PM

Finally nicer weather here and have been able to get out of the gym and out on my bike, horse, and kayak. Have a fun "urban adventure race" bike/kayak end of June to get ready for.

I have a new "toy" a Garmin Vivosmart HR+ watch, a little clunky on my little wrist but measures everything and I no longer have to drain my phone battery - watch maps and records my bike/horse/walks/runs/kayak activities. Measures heart rate too. A bit pricey but my medic alert is built into the strap as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kayak North Perimter small.jpg (59.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 05-29-2018, 02:34 PM
MS Yoda

I know, I know, I'm late, I'm late, way past due for an update, so here it is.

But first, Marina, sorry to hear you'll be laid up and missing some rides but do hope you'll continue to check in with us and let us know how things are going. The setbacks aren't necessarily a bad thing. Although they may waylay your main activities, one might be able to find an opening to improve areas that have been neglected. At the very least, I always came away from my hiatuses with a greater motivation for the things I am able to do.

Veronica, I'm also looking into a ski bike program. I'm pretty sure it's the same outfit Susanna, of snowboarding fame on the forums, is involved with. I believe its available all season long but it might be important to make a reservation early. I'll keep you posted, maybe Gary will be interested too. This is the organization and their programs for anyone who might care to look. http://nscd.org/

Cl3me, I'm watching you on Strava! You're killing it! Geez you're busy!

Had an extended period of rain here that threw me off my schedule a bit. I'm a few days behind but not doing too bad. I'm up to 4.5 hours and 4,600 feet of ascent on my long ride and will try for 5 hours and 5,000 feet in a couple of days. And, I'm finally getting some altitude and that part hasn't been as bad as I feared it might!! The long climbs are definitely getting tougher and I'm still not sure where I'll end up, but in the end, it's all about the training anyway, right? Right!

I've also been feeling a little MSy lately. Might have postponed my next Rituxan infusion a little too long - again. You'd think a person would learn huh? Maybe a person will next time.

Keep on keeping on everyone,
Larry
Old 06-02-2018, 06:16 PM
MS Yoda

Got 60 miles with 5,000 ft. of ascent, HALF WAY TO THE TRIPLE BYPASS. Only two problems. I'm 2/3 of the way through training, only six weeks left, I could use at least 12. And, it took me six hours. At that rate I'll probably get swept up before I finish, if I can even ride a bike for 12 hours and another 5,000 vertical ft. Oh well, it's all about the training!

Recovery week next week and a rituxan infusion. Yay!

Never give up,
Larry
Old 06-04-2018, 12:53 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Way to go, Larry. You can do it!

Been out riding regularly--chest kink is fine and I've fully recovered, but taking it easy was hard. Also been getting to the gym with no soreness afterward, which means my home/bike routine has been hitting the major muscle groups effectively.

Temps have been creeping into the 90s, so it's definitely cooling vest time! Hope others are training away!!
Old 06-18-2018, 03:48 PM
MS Warrior

I am happily reporting that I am now rollin’ with the e-assist! Got it installed just last Monday and did a little 5 mile ride down the trail over there just to test it out. Holy cow what a difference. Just gives me the boost I need…. Still is a good workout, as Alain had noted awhile ago, which delights me.

Since then I have been out twice more, once for a relatively flat 12 miler on a rail trail, and then a rolling 7 miler that included one good steep hill (don’t know grade %) and one bitchy long slow slightly increasing stretch which is the grade of an incline that always does me in. ( Like a “false flat”) I upped my average mph by a good 3 on the flat ride, which delighted me. And while I was feeling abit dejected at my slower average on the more challenging ride, my friend here who rides routinely told me her speed on that stretch is just about the same. FINALLY!

I was so excited to get out on the second ride as it was road riding, not trail riding, and I could do the route by riding right out of my garage. THAT was a hoot! Felt like I was off leash… Just was such a freeing feeling to be on the road, alone, without my bicycling buddies fretting behind me, or my catching them in the mirror walking up hills behind me. And the side roads here are just so beautiful, as they are thru farm lands with the foot hills of the Berkshires all around and very little traffic.

Now I was so excited to do the second ride that I totally ignored ( really was in denial..) that it was quite a hot, sunny day and I decided to start around 1pm. Kind of set myself up, which I finally acknowledged mid way into the ride, and smartly turned back. I was done in for the rest of day, terribly wonky legs, and pretty much totally fatigued out, but not too fatigued to be doing at least in my head the Dance of Joy! The ride the day before was not only flat, but on a cool cloudy day and I needed very little recovery time after that one. (Combination of weather and assist.) Really loved that I felt strong enough a few hours later to walk up a small hill on my property to do some weeding and planting under an apple tree. I know that without the assist I would not have had the energy to do another physical activity of even this minor proportion.

SOOO, I finally have some cycling goals for this season… I plan to use the hilly route for hill climbing training…and using the same approach that my skibike instructor taught me of just taking something “easy” and do it over and over in a more challenging manner. Actually is the same approach of my PT’s functional exercising .... The 12 miler on the trail can be used for increasing my speed. And now I have the option of a few more road rides around here that are challenging enough, without much traffic ( except for tractors and farm equipment!!) where I can ride with or without friends.

And what will I train for? We have a yearly ride around here, a local event, the Roe Jan Ramble Bike Tour in mid September. In the past I have only done the 10 miler, and became the sweep just naturally, but the Ride offers routes of 20, 25, 35 and 50. The 20 miler is new this year, and just takes off one rather steep hill at the end. Don’t know yet the elevation gain, but whatever it is, it will be a challenge for me. And I am up to it….

While I had been so frustrated with how long this took, it gave me the opportunity to work on my gardens, and so now that I will be looking to get out riding whenever my schedule and the weather agree, I can do so guiltlessly, knowing that the gardens are pretty much on maintenance with watering and some weeding being able to be fit in on non riding days, or in the evenings.

Just have to say if anyone has been thinking about an electric assist..DO IT! It is truly saving my cycling, and giving me back more of the pleasure of riding. While it adds considerate weight to the trike ( I think around 12 lbs.) the motor is thread into the rear wheel, and my bike guy put the battery right under my seat so that the weight is more distributed. I am still able to independently load this onto my rear car rack without stressing out/damaging the poor shoulders. It is totally do-able for me.

Right or wrong, I have gotten used to the simple truth that being disabled and wanting to be physically active means shelling out big bucks when specialized equipment is involved. I am fortunate enough to be able to (barely) fit this into my budget…makes things tight financially, but I would rather have the financial restrictions that this results in, than the physical restrictions that would have been the result of NOT doing this. A trade off I am willing to make....

Carry on everyone! We’re all climbing hills in our own ways daily, aren’t we?
Old 06-20-2018, 07:47 PM
MS Yoda

Default Bad Tunafish

Hey Dave, you sure are right about the heat! We had about ten days of major heat on here, like mid nineties every day. Even getting out early was marginally effective because you couldn't get very far before it heated up. I did one ride with the MS team on a day the heat hit 95. Ended up cutting the ride short and still was getting worried about making it back to the start even though it was downhill!

Veronica, well of course you've figured out a way to stay in the saddle and get faster! I constantly marvel at your resourcefulness and your persistence! I wish we lived closer together, I'd have gone in on that e-wheel with you, if I could borrow it once in a while, like for this coming weekend.

Father's day last Sunday reminded me of something the father of a good friend of mine used to say. The man was a respected brain surgeon who, when asked about his philosophy of life, was fond of responding: "Life is like a can of tunafish, sometimes it's good and sometimes it's not so good."

I can relate to that as I seem to have gotten into some bad tunafish lately. I had scheduled my Rituxan infusion for the beginning of June but about a month before that I started feeling pretty MSy. In hind sight I think I was experiencing a small flair or at least a little progression. It was my own damn fault, I tried to stretch the time between infusions out too long. At any rate, I got the infusion a little over two weeks ago, felt like crap the day of but went for a ride the day after.

The ride the day after the infusion went about as expected, I was off my game by 10% to 15% but happy that it wasn't any worse than that. I knew there would be a period of "Rituxan Hangover", a small price to pay for controlling the MS progression, and this one lasted about two weeks. It was also about two weeks before the Rituxan noticeably impacted the MS progression I'd been experiencing. I am happy to report now though, both the progression and the hangover are nearly gone.

However, one caveat to the tuna fish philosophy of life might be that cans of bad tuna fish come in packs of three. During the two recovery weeks my wife found a leak in our sprinkler system. There are a lot of things I don't do myself anymore because of age and MS but repairing the sprinkler system isn't one of them. So I found the leak, about two feet of split pipe, dug it up and repaired it. It took me three days because there were only a couple of hours in the morning which were cool enough to work in. Remember, we were in the middle of a significant heat wave and I was still feeling a little MSy as well as suffering from a Rituxan hangover.

I'd been having some minor back issues before the sprinkler pipe repair but after the sprinkler pipe, the back issues became major, making their presence known after the climbing ride on the particularly hot day that I mentioned to Dave above. And one more thing, the Colorado MS 150 is this coming weekend and there are a number of people planning to ride with me!

So, there you have it, quite a bit of bad tuna fish. I find I am able to ride the bike, I just can't push too hard. Starts and stops are a little dicey but doable if managed carefully. But, I can't stand on the pedals at all and riding in the drops is questionable.

Plans are made, hotels are paid for so I'm going to try to do the ride. If worse comes to worse, I'll sag, I'll even get a phone number to call if I get stuck somewhere. I think I can do it but, maybe just this one time, it sure would be nice to have an e-wheel!

Keep the rubber side down,

Larry
Old 06-21-2018, 05:59 PM

Hello Veronica, I am so glad you are enjoying your E bike! Bonne route.
Larry, it is because the difficulty to start and stop that I switch to a trike, I could not click and unclick, or only on a flat or slop down terrain. I hope you get back your Superman power soon.
I am riding couple days a week for couple hours just for the fan.
Best to every one.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:46 PM

Default Trike vs. Bike

I made the switch to a recumbent trike for the same reasons. I find the trike to be much more relaxing since I don’t have to worry about falling. The trike is much slower than my two wheeled bikes but is much more comfortable which means I can put in more miles. I’m a little perplexed that I’m not seeing increases in my speed on the trike. I keep good records of my weight training and my legs are certainly stronger than when I got the trike 3 years ago. My body weight is down and my trike miles are way up but minimal gains in speed. Also, I started Ampyra about a year ago and my legs seem to be less stiff. But the bottom line is I’m still riding and enjoying it more so... Anyway, Larry give it your best. If you make it great, if you don’t, please remember you took on a challenge few would even attempt. Keep up the good work everyone. It seems like every day I read an article about the value of exercise for us.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:45 AM
MS Warrior

Larry, you are probably well on your way for your weekend MS150. But wanted to wish you well.. you will of course do the very best you can, as you always do, so what else is there? Sharing the e-wheel would be difficult as I would be hogging it! And I think you would too if you tried it! Wanna share an iSkiBike?? Probably same issue....

Grady, I had the same issue with not understanding why I couldn’t increase my mph even a little. On the bike, it just took my getting in the riding, but not so with the trike. But I’m happy now. Having ridden bikes for decades and decades, I just am happiest moving at a certain rate. I couldn’t attain that on my own and it was frustrating. The e-assist gives me that feeling back now. I am now averaging about 10 mph... no speed demon here, but very satisfied.And to be able to ride with my biking friends means so much to me. I am glad we have found a way to keep our love of cycling going. And Alain, thanks for the good wishes! To you too!