BLOG: Suicide, multiple sclerosis, and the loss of a best friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLOG: Suicide, multiple sclerosis, and the loss of a best friend

Let’s start with some facts on this serious topic. Just having multiple sclerosis increases your risk of suicide, according to one study, a sobering seven fold. Even among those with other neurologic disorders—including ALS, which is often fatal—the risk for MSers is still double. Male, under 30, and recently diagnosed (within five years) amplify your risk. But why?

Researchers aren’t entirely sure. People with MS are predisposed to get depression and it is a hallmark of MS, as half of us with the disease will struggle with depression at some point during our lives… yet it often goes unreported and untreated. And the consequences of depression can be devastating.

Five years ago I lost one of my closest friends to suicide. Ironically, Brandon was a major lifeline when I was trying to cope with getting diagnosed. Giving his eulogy was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. I’d like to share what I wrote.

http://activemsers.blogspot.com/2011...d-loss-of.html
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Hi Dave, so sorry about the loss of your friend. Did he have MS as well? It is always so sad to hear of a suicide especially when the person is so young.

Comment

I am sorry that you lost a dear friend to suicide.

At a recent MS-related seminar, I learned that MSers are 7.5 times more likely to commit suicide than the 'general' population ... scary.
      Certified Life Coach

RRMS - D/X 2007

Comment

Brandon did not have MS. He did, though, know my MS doc, being a drug rep. He told me that I was in great hands. That he was one of the few docs who knew more about his product (not an MS drug, BTW), than he did.

His painting now hang throughout our house. He was a talented guy.
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

MS and suicide....I just mentioned this post to my lovely man and he got pretty cross....after he'd calmed down a bit, it turned out he'd been doing more research than I realised. Don't want to go into the details that we all know about, but it's a shocker to realise life will never be the same again, that you aren't the person you used to be...I can see why the stats are like that, even while knowing that something in me will always need to survive.
          Your eulogy was great Dave. I really like the part about feeling envious when someone discovers something. I feel the same way when I persuade someone to watch The Wire

Comment

Thanks, Penguin. It can be a challenging subject to bring up with loved ones. Or it can be entertaining. When I was talking to my mom about it a few years ago, purely in what ifs and last resorts, she happily told me she'd finish me off if need be. Gotta love my mom and her directness.

AND, off topic, speaking of The Wire, I'm starting Season 4! The only other shows that get me that excited are The Sopranos and Breaking Bad (filmed in my home town). My friends always debate which of the three dramas is best....
            Dave Bexfield
            ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
            X