Long-term health impacts of HSCT potentially serious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long-term health impacts of HSCT potentially serious

This is pretty sobering and yet another reason not to do this treatment unless you are out of options. It's important to note that many of the complications are associated with pre-HSCT treatments including radiation. The BEAM treatment I received has far fewer long-term risks than other treatments, but they still exist. Other than low testosterone, which is likely to be chronic, I've had no issues. I hope it stays that way! - Dave

Long-term health impacts of hematopoietic stem cell transplantation inform recommendations for follow-up

Smita Bhatia

Advances in transplantation techniques and supportive care strategies have resulted in a significant improvement in survival of those who have undergone treatment. However, hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) survivors are at risk of developing long-term complications, such as endocrinopathies, musculoskeletal disorders, cardiopulmonary compromise and subsequent malignancies. These complications have a direct impact on the morbidity and mortality experienced by HSCT survivors. Two-thirds of HSCT survivors develop at least one chronic health condition; while a fifth develop severe or life-threatening conditions. HSCT patients who have survived for at least 5 years post-transplantation are at a fourfold to ninefold increased risk of late mortality for as long as 30 years from HSCT, producing an estimated 30% lower life expectancy compared with the general population. The high burden of morbidity experienced by HSCT survivors makes it critically important that there is standardized follow-up of HSCT survivors at high risk for post-HSCT complications. The Center for International Blood and Marrow Transplant Research/European Group for Blood and Marrow Transplantation/American Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation and the Children’s Oncology Group long-term follow-up guidelines offer such standardized care. Future steps include wider dissemination and refinement of these guidelines.

Full article (pdf): http://www.expert-reviews.com/doi/pdf/10.1586/ehm.11.39
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Those are sobering odds. Then again, so are the odds of worsening progression with MS. :-(

Comment

I'll take the odds

Reminded me of a survey I took for NARCOMS recently. The were trying to find the balance of risk a person would take for the reward of being cured of MS. The first question was odds of losing an eye for the reward of being cured. The survey didn't have the option "I'll give you an eye if you'll cure me", so that's what I put in the comments.

When I went through the HSCT, the doctors said the odds of death were 1 in 12. No brainer.

Craig

Comment

Craig, your 1 in 12 has me beat by a long shot! But I totally understand the no-brainer part. Heck, I still would have done it at 1 in 5. Still an 80% chance of success, right? I guess when it all hits the fan and you are grasping for a lifeline, odds don't mean as much....
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
        X