No announcement yet.

MSers Training in 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marina, good writeup on the trike, I wondered if trikes didn't require some different muscles, especially core, some trike riders have told me things like that. But you're right, there are so many different kinds of trikes, a person might be able to choose based on their strengths. I guess that's the point of hand crank's vs pedal power and upright vs a more prone position. Interesting stuff, much more complicated than 2 wheel bikes.

TM, good news on the walking without sticks progress and opening the outdoor pool. I finished my "walking pole" classes. Using 2 poles definitely takes the strain off of my knees, probably allows me a better gait, and seems to afford less likelihood of falling. Even with 2 poles though, I can only walk a little over a mile before I begin to loose control of my foot and leg. The PT who was conducting the class thought I walked better with an ankle brace on but suggested I look at some different types. An ankle brace did help me with my cycling to the point I didn't need it after a while, so maybe I'll look into it. My plan is to work more on the walking after the MS 150 ride at the end of June. I'd really like to be able to hike again someday.

Pell, you recovered from your century yet? I was awfully puny for the following two weeks after mine but I seem to be OK now.

Rode 170 miles last week, without much climbing to speak of. My climbing buddy, the hot blond yoga chick, has been out of commission so far this year and my other buddies aren't real keen on it. The ride coming up next weekend includes a major climb as part of the century loop so it's very possible I may not end up with the whole 100 miles. Gonna have to play this one by ear.

Keep it up,
    Larry

Comment

• Originally posted by Marinadca View Post
      Hi all I am happy to read about all of the adventures and wanted to share an update about my new trike.

Well Steve is a great guy, because he did end up "driving" it home from the bike store (mostly on the trail) about about 10 miles.

I have ridden it twice since it came home. Yesterday Steve took me to a large office park with a huge connecting parking area so I could get comfortable and figure out the shifting (SRAM shifters on the hand grips, very new to me). We did about 8 miles and I felt a lot more comfortable. Today I went out on my own on the road (with the cars!) about did about 10 miles.

It was a blast. I have been stuck walking/jogging for past few years and I have missed the speed. I have some one-leg balance issues that made the bike feel very unsafe to me (mainly the starting and stopping parts) and the trike takes that out of the equation completely. I feel a lot more confident and comfortable on three wheels, much more stable.

One thing I will note is that the trike requires completely different muscles then walking/spin class/the two wheel bike in a trainer. Muscles I did not realize existed. Dragging that thing up an incline is much harder then the same incline on my much lighter road bike. I don't know if this would be less prevent in a more upright seating position and the choice in trike I made affects this. But, I do know I am going to need to 1) figure out what those muscles are and 2) Develop them.
      Hi all: I posted a question for Dave on his blog about testing trikes, but now see that Marina has a new trike, so I am also asking you for advise. Dave's blog just got me thinking how limiting my little two wheeler is. My issues sound very similar to yours concerning the bike, and I am now really thinking of selling my only two year old bike for a recumbent trike. Catrike makes a "Pocket" model for smaller riders...I am 5 foot....but it isn't foldable, which really is something I need. I have been researching a Greenspeed...which is foldable....
      Besides what you wrote about different muscles used, could you give me more info on what it is like to adjust to the trike? I am so longing to go for a ride and to not be thinking about "what ifs" of sudden stops, intersections. And I am sick of avoid hills.....you mentioned how much harder the inclines are...do you think this is just for now, until you figure out what muscles need to be strengthened??

Whatever you can share, I SO appreciate! I got really excited when you said the ride was a blast! I haven't had a ride that I would label "a blast" in way too long!!
      Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

• Hi Veronica, I am happy to answer as best as I can

For the uphills - I think these will get easier the stronger those muscles get. The good thing is I have the gears for the hills, and the small ones where I live have not even required the smallest granny gear ring, so I am still using my middle ring (I have 3) and have a ways to go before I max out. And while the hills are tough, I just gear and it's fine but sloooow. Even at 8 mph though that is still faster then I can walk or run so I just try to lean back and enjoy the scenery.

As for adjusting to it....this came surprising fast. Cars give me a very wide berth and the thing is so sturdy it inspires a lot of confidence. I did take it in a large parking lot/garage complex for my first ride just to get used to the gears and turning. Keeping it straight in easy though taking sharp corners and fast downhills (it's slow up but not at all slow going down!) I am still on the brakes more than I need to be probably. The stuff I am still getting used to:

1. The reverse mirror. I find I am adjusting it a lot trying to find a good position. I test road someone's personal trike and he had 2 mirrors, one of each side and I think this is something I will end up doing.

2. Gears...the trike has SRAM shifters on the handle bars, I find I need to learn to shift between the bigger and middle ring more smoothly. Plus since these is no indicator, I am working on shifting only 1 gear at a time.

3. This must be a learned habit from the two wheeled bike, but since there is no standing to start or power up a hill I find I am shifting and then grabbing the handles harder. if I grab unevenly I can jerk myself one way or another. I just need to unlearn this habit. You only do it a few times, but it feels so natural!!

Overall I would test a few with various recline angles and see where you are comfortable. I have the Catrike 700 and my husband rigged up a roof rack to hold it (It involves 2 road bike racks and 1 multipurpose rack). I am shorter as well so had to had the boom cut for me. Don't let your height be the determining factor as the shop you purchase from should be able to cut the boom to size for you.

Expect the trike to be noiser for you as well, since you're so close to the wheel. But in general it is so comfortable. We figured out how to get it into the kinetic trainer as well, and while my legs might hurt my butt and wrists do not. Now I am comfortable riding with cars and starting/stopping is no problem. I dont miss bike shorts either since no padding, gloves, etc are needed.

I am babbling but please feel free to ask me anything. I was so sad to give up cycling and so happy to have it back and be safe at the same time.

Marina

Comment

• Marina, what a great review. This is a dream of mine to get back on a bike. I don't dwell on it however, if someone asked me what I miss the most, I'd say bike riding.

Veronica, I'm keeping my eye on this folding trike http://www.diblasi.co.uk/Folding_Tri...rodotto&Lng=en

Take care all,

Teena Marie

Comment

• Marina, THANKS for the babbling! Good info and you taught me a lot about adjusting to these trikes. I've left a message with the dealer for the Greenspeed trike that I want to try, they are only about an hour from me, so hopefully this weekend I will have the chance to test ride models. I am so excited about this....have to admit I couldn't sleep last night thinking about how MUCH this will change my cycling... .will remove the invisible fence for sure..... I'll keep you posted!

Teena Marie: cute trike! I am amazed with how many very different models/ designs there are out there ...never had a clue until now....

Comment

• Yay Trikes for ALL!

Teeny - was so upset about not being able to ride my bike. I of course was happy for my husband but he was riding in my ride with my team, and there was definitely bitterness there. The trike gave me something back, when usually we have things taken from us instead. Gives me a huge smile and happy to feel the wind on my face again.

Comment

• Love all the trike talk!!!! Hope NMSS is getting ready for an onslaught of trikes on their MS 150's.

I'm off for the Buena Vista Bike Fest. Forecasts range from partly sunny in the AM to rain and snow in the PM but the winds look favorable. Rock slides have closed part of the century loop. Could be an interesting one.

Later all,

Comment

• Trike news!

So today I went to a great guy in Brookfield CT and test rode two models. An ICE Adventurer, and the Greenspeed GTO1. To quote Marina , " It was a blast!!! I haven't had fun cycling like this since I don't know when....... The one in the photo that I am on is the Greenspeed GTO1, which I have decided works best for me. This particular one is too long for me....he shortened the boom as far as it goes, but still didn't work for me, so there is a smaller size that he will order. Just to get a feel for it, he shoved a big pillow between my rear and the seat back and I was able to ride around a bit.....Looked funny as anything though!! Also he suggested getting the cranks shorter as he said, as hard as it may be to image, this really helps shorter legged people. It looks like a minimalist trike, almost stripped down, but extremely responsive, very tight turning radius ( tightest of all the brands of trikes). 24 speed, with the shifters on the end of the handles, which are just what I have on the Bike Friday. Wheels are smaller....16 inch. Now, while there is not much suspension, I don't really need this as I am on the petite side and the dealer said I only have to keep the tire pressure on the lower side (40-50, if you can believe that..) and that'll give me some suspension. I tested this out by AIMING at potholes......and it was fun, not bone jarring or dangerous. ( No, I am not going to make a habit of this...) I first tested the other model shown, an ICE Adventurer....and while it showed me what triking is like, I didn't like it as it has suspension that really slows you on inclines and has a very big turning radius which I didn't like. Also was just a bit higher up than I wanted. Just seemed sluggish to me.

so Kennis and I rode around his neighborhood and he said we needed to take the hill shown in the photo....Not anxiety producing at all, where before on the two wheeler I would have just stopped knowing I would end up slowing to nothing and tipping over....here, I just leaned back and pumped away. Part way up it I stopped ( as you really do use different muscles. Marina I am so glad you mentioned this) but no problem, Kennis and I just hung out there for a bit and then just started climbing again.....What freedom!

So I put a downpayment on it....he is checking to see if his distributor has the smaller sized one. Getting the neck rest with it as I see how useful that will be when stopped. If it is in stock, I can have it in a week, if not, then I will have to wait for it to come in from Australia and this will takes weeks....cuts back on my training time, but whenever I get it, the training is going to take priority over work! I'll be taking "Sick " days!!!!

This is gonna give me such a sense of freedom. I can ride wherever I want, hills, intersections, whatever.... So blipping happy!! Kennis, the dealer called the smile on my face the "Trike Grin".....

AND I can load it into my Saturn from the side just as I do my two wheeler and Segway....The Saturn has rear "suicide" doors on each side, and my passenger front seat folds down, so it give me a very wide berth to load things. The Greenspeed is also foldable, but loading it in the opened position actual is easier for me as the weight is more dispersed. Can't carry a passenger in the front with the trike loaded that way, as the seat needs to be down,but we figured that when I do have a passenger, and am transporting the trike, I can fold it, and they can help load it in for me...

Woo hoo!

And that photo of that orange thing? That is a trike.....Kennis rides it regularly!!! Really funky....do any of you know the movie "The Fastest Living Indian" with Anthony Hopkins?? reminds me of his motorcycle....

Dave, I so agree with your comment on your blog....can someone with MS be THIS happy?? And to those hills I have avoided, I am now saying "Bring 'em on, baby!!"
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Once again,this is an amazing report. I've already asked Marina-how was it getting in and out?

Enjoy your sick days!

Teena Marie

Comment

• Teena Marie, the Ins and Outs are negotiable for me....even though the Greenspeed is low, I was able to get on the right side of the derailleur, and then, with the trike's parking brakes on, and just bending to put my hands on the wheel, lift my left leg over. Getting up is do-able by my leaning into my lift, with again, my hands just resting on the wheels or middle of the trike. Then I just straddle the derailleur and wide walk out. I think I will keep my collapsible cane in the rack bag as I don't know yet how this will be after a good ride when my legs are wonky. A little challenging, but I can see that once I have the trike, I can practice different techniques to find what really works best for me. I hope you get to experience these.....SO good for have cycling back that is fun again...

Comment

• I am so happy for you Veronica! I think you ended up with something similiar to mine and I hope you love it.

The trike has really taken all the fear and anxiety out of cycling for me and returned it to a fun activity to be enjoyed.

Now get to work on those weird muscles we never knew existed

Comment

• Thanks!!

Comment

• yeah trikes!

Veronica, your report made me smile. It's great that you found a way to enjoy cycling again.
                            Marina- you have started a stampede here! Well done.
                            After a week at the beach with limited cycling, I did a group ride today. I still haven't begun to trust that I am stronger and more confident on the bike. I did a 28 mile ride tonight at 18mph- a big improvement for me over last year. Soon after we started, I felt defeated and wanted to quit and never ride again. I don't know what that was about. I wasn't overly stressed but somehow was discouraged. I did some self talk and re-oriented my thinking and finished the ride without a problem. I really think many of my limitations are in my mind.
                            Pell

Comment

• So ok guys, I'm gonna join this thread more often.....
                              I know what you experienced Pell with the "Head talk".....when I ski, my instructors have often yelled at me to "Get out of your head" and when I do, I relax and it flows better. We really can beat ourselves up with that....The negative side of "Mind Over Body".

Comment

• Trikes Rule

Marina and Veronica, no doubt you guys are on the forefront of a major trend, move over bikes, here come the trikes! It's exciting to watch this happen through you guys, in fact I might be there with you one of these days.

I ended up with 75 miles in 6:41 elapsed time and 5:34 in the saddle at the Buena Vista Bike Fest. I might have done better or at least enjoyed the ride more except that I let some busted plans and perceived inadequacies with training get into my head. Both Pell and Veronica mentioned this in the two previous posts. I wasn’t able to talk myself around nor to get out of my head, so I kind of ended up fighting with myself throughout the ride, not a particularly pleasant experience. Now, in an attempt to improve my focus on the ride and ignore external influences, I’ve hidden my computer from sight. I still take the computer with me but I don’t look at it until I get back home. So far, I’ve noticed that my hard rides are harder and my easy rides are easier as per the computer data. This weekend I’ll see how my long rides go. It’s an attempt to teach myself to ignore the doubts and the preconceived ideas of how I've trained. Instead, I'm trying to stay in the present and pay attention to riding the bike the way one should regardless of the conditions. It’s probably a dumb idea, we’ll see.

Larry

Comment

Working...
                                X