Fatigue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fatigue

The number 1 culprit that MSers battle with is fatigue? I know heat brings on exhaustion, but sitting in an air conditioned room, I have been battling fatigue. Any suggestions for energy boosters, meds? Please let me know. Thank you.
    Christine

Fatigue

http://www.specialtypharmacytimes.co...iple-sclerosis
    I have not tried this and it was a small study but it does seem to help some people.

Comment

Fatigue

I've found a product called MITOQ really works well, but it's pricey. I can notice the difference when I stop taking it. They regularly offer 20% discounts but still expensive.

Also, alpha lipoid acid, and L carnitine are supposed to help with energy levels.

Comment

I've been taking oil of oregano gelcaps for many years. Two in the morning and I'm good all day. Not sure if it really gives me energy or simply prevents me from getting sleepy. If I don't take it, I feel the need to nap in the afternoon.

Hope you find something to help, Christine!

Oh, and I started, back in 2000 after diagnosis, on Amantadine. After a couple years it seemed to not be working so I switched to 200-400mgs of Provigil. That was the best med for fatigue, for me.

Comment

Here's a link to a bunch of fatigue articles on multiplesclerosis.net. In my experience, exercise is extremely helpful, but you have to build up slowly. Fatigue can be brutal. Hang in there!

https://multiplesclerosis.net/?s=fatigue&submit=Go
          Dave Bexfield
          ActiveMSers

Comment

Originally posted by Christine not9 View Post
            The number 1 culprit that MSers battle with is fatigue? I know heat brings on exhaustion, but sitting in an air conditioned room, I have been battling fatigue. Any suggestions for energy boosters, meds? Please let me know. Thank you.
            Thank you all for your information, suggestions. Fampyra , known as the walking med, quickens your stride, & helps with fatigue & used by many in a support group I belong to. Very pricey & no proof it works? My neurologist suggested 100 units of Amantadine. My brain fog seemed to get better quick! My energy is growing. My sleep however, starting to dwindle. All is great.
            Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Lmh View Post
              I've found a product called MITOQ really works well, but it's pricey. I can notice the difference when I stop taking it. They regularly offer 20% discounts but still expensive.

Also, alpha lipoid acid, and L carnitine are supposed to help with energy levels.
              I have been using the AlA and L-Carnatine combo for a few years and I can say it makes quite a different, especially with mental fatigue.

Comment

I've had MS since 1980 and worked in the news media, a stressful and tiring job, full-time until retiring at the end of 2012, at age 64. Two things helped my fatigue: Exercise, I did swimming and weight machines, and a prescription drug called Provigil. (Its generic is Modafinil). There's a good link about it on the NIH web site: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19837509. Also, a short nap in the middle of the day, if you're able to do it, can work wonders.

Comment

Anchorman,
                  Thank you for posting how you successfully coped with full time stressful job and MS. There is no real rule book to play by. I was wondering what dosages you used for modinifil and timing. I searched the web for other MSers and usage varies widely. Right now I find 100 mg when I rise around 6-7 am and another 100 mg between 1-3 pm gets me through most days. But I also supplement with caffeine with mixed results. Sometimes I hit it right, and it is an awesome productive day, other times I take my nap and sleep until evening, not so productive.
                  Any more anecdotal advice is welcome!

Comment

Hi Subee,

My Rx is for 200 mg. I usually break the pill in half and take 100 mg when I wake up. If I'm going to be driving a distance in the afternoon I'll take another 100 mg around 2 or 3pm. If I'm going to be going out for the evening I might take it around 5pm.

My "low" time is usually around 4-7pm and, without the drug, it's not unusual for this Anchorman to fall asleep in front of the network TV news at 6:30 or 7 for a 20 or 30 minute nap (I know...don't say it).

I hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks Anchorman! I've found similar dosage and schedule works for me too. (I tried nuvigil and did not like it as much. Maybe because it didn't seem to allow for this type of staggering dose.) Also, as you may have felt, I point out to anyone following this thread, I also give myself days off from drug. Particularly, days I really need to sleep/rest, or days I'm sick with cold/flu, family designated chill out days on weekends, and if I'm finding I feel a little jumpy/anxious.

Comment

Originally posted by Suebee View Post
                        Anchorman,
                        Thank you for posting how you successfully coped with full time stressful job and MS. There is no real rule book to play by. I was wondering what dosages you used for modinifil and timing. I searched the web for other MSers and usage varies widely. Right now I find 100 mg when I rise around 6-7 am and another 100 mg between 1-3 pm gets me through most days. But I also supplement with caffeine with mixed results. Sometimes I hit it right, and it is an awesome productive day, other times I take my nap and sleep until evening, not so productive.
                        Any more anecdotal advice is welcome!
                        Have you tried some B-12 in the afternoon? I take a lozenge that can help me. I mention this as you say caffeine sometimes works, and for sure this is no miracle cure. But this is also the main ingredient in 5-hour, a drink/supplement that makes me too jittery. But if I am dragging in the afternoon sometimes I will take an extra lozenge. It's water soluble, so you won't overload yourself if you don't need it.

Comment

Thanks Maracanda,
                          I haven't used that type of B12. I get b12 shots, but i wonder if a little extra would give a boost. i recently started prescription level Vit D again. I hope that will hope some.

Comment

Working...
                          X