Do you tell your boss you have MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you tell your boss you have MS?

Here's a link to a recent article in the New York Times that talks about some of the issues of working and having a disability, specifically multiple sclerosis. There's some interesting advice. Would I tell my boss? Well, since I co-own Nissan Sport, it's not an issue for me. What do you guys think?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/20/he...r=1&ref=health
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Interesting article

I had no option but to tell my employer when my optic neuritis blinded me - it's hard enough being a cop with 2 good eyes and great balance!!!

Luckily I had a wonderful unit commander, awesome supervisors, and very supportive co-workers. Being union/civil service protected with Aflac & supplemental insurance helps as well.

If I ever can't do my job - I will go to the civilian side. But, right now - I'm still testing 20/20 in both eyes and still pass all my tests and can still out-perform a lot of my co-workers!!

Comment

Nope, nada, not for as long as I can possibly hold out. Heck, I don't tell my boss I'm on a search and rescue team. I didn't tell work I was getting my EMT until it was done and overwith, and then only because I needed to be added to the first response team (I couldn't let the one guy with CPR only be the only one allowed to do anything!). Then again, I work for a company that will take ANY ammunition and use it at random. No thanks.

As I once read somewhere, once you tell, you can never un-tell.

Comment

I had no choice but to tell since I went blind in one eye, they were worried and since no one knew what was going on (myself included) it wasn't something I could really hide. But now that I am a stay at home mom it doesn't matter. I usually tell people when they are nosy and ask why I am walking with the cane or crutches that I have a disability and leave it at that.

Comment

To add to what I said yesterday, I'm really struggling with whether or not to tell my SAR team leader. On the one hand, he should know that when I pull myself out of the field, it's not because I'm lazy. But I'm worried he'll worry about me and not just let me do everything I'm capable of doing. I've already had to pull myself off of one search because I'd already been up 18 hours before responding and was too tired to walk upright, and he still questions me before every search, "Have you gotten enough sleep?" He's genuinely concerned, not trying to be a jerk, but it is frustrating. Plus, I'm trying to get on the high-angle team, and I think that would kill my chances. I'm worried they won't trust me to be honest about when I can and cannot do what is needed. Believe me, I'm NOT going to try to belay someone when my legs are giving out or I can't see!

I guess time will tell, and eventually the right timing will come along.

Comment

I ended up telling my boss right away. He used to work for a hospital, and has an extensive medical knowledge. Actually, when he heard my symptoms, reduced vision overnight, double vision, he suspected I had MS before I had the confirmed diagnosis from my neurologist.

The weird part of it is that he and I started about the same time, and he was taking care of his wife who was dying of cancer. He saw her deterioration, and took care of her throughout. I think he is a good ally, but I wonder if he will try to reduce my duties too soon when I have my next flare up. I don't know. We'll see.

I don't plan on leaving this job because overall the company has been quite good to me, but I don't think I would walk into my next job and tell them right away.
            Jane

Comment

I told my boss right away.. He was supportive and doesn't balk at the time I take off for Dr's appts. I work more than 40hrs a week anyways... His wife told me he read up a little on it which I greatly appreciated...

Comment

Working...
              X