Framing the Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framing the Question

I've noticed a trend in many of the the threads in this section, and I think I'm in a good place to help answer a whole boatload of questions all at once.
    If your question starts with "can I..." the answer is yes.

Regardless of whether you're asking about skiing, snowboarding, mountain climbing, marathoning, horseback riding, or pretty much anything that doesn't involve the balance beam, the answer is yes, you can.

Here in Colorado, I'm lucky enough to work next door to the NSCD (National Sports Center for the Disabled)... through them I've set up ski lessons for my big brother (he's blind), ski and snowboard lessons for me, and helped out a bunch of other people. The thing about working next door to them is that even though some days I feel like my legs offer all the structural support of wet noodles (spazzy ones at that), I see the guys who have no legs at all make use of a bit of adaptive equipment and go out and tear down the mountains at speeds 99% of the rest of riders will never hit.

If you love an activity, and you get dx'd with MS, the question isn't "can I?" but "how can I?" Sometimes this means little changes (I went from boarding to skiing), other times it means bigger changes (in hockey I went from playing D to playing G)... but you need to start your activity, whether it is in a gym or on a mountain, you've got to start with the mentality that not only you can, but you will... there may be some tweeks on the way (carrying more water than before, ice vests, etc.)... but you are capable of doing the stuff you love.

Be a little cocky, it's ok. When you decide that you miss an activity, or love an activity and you don't want to quit... start out with "I'm going to _________, what adjustments should I expect to make?" I know it seems kind of... cliche... but starting out with the right mindset helps tremendously at breaking the inertia of inaction.

I second the motion. It's all about getting the nervous system to adapt and helping the brain to remember.

Teena Marie

Comment

Originally posted by firefly View Post
      If you love an activity, and you get dx'd with MS, the question isn't "can I?" but "how can I?" Sometimes this means little changes (I went from boarding to skiing), other times it means bigger changes (in hockey I went from playing D to playing G)... but you need to start your activity, whether it is in a gym or on a mountain, you've got to start with the mentality that not only you can, but you will... there may be some tweeks on the way (carrying more water than before, ice vests, etc.)... but you are capable of doing the stuff you love.
      I love this!! Thing is, I've been athletic all my life. I had my first symptoms as a teenager, but I wasn't diagnosed until I was 50. In the mean time, Yoga, cycling, kayaking and rafting were a huge part of my life. I've had to give up surfing, but that's about all. Yes, my spasms sometimes get the best of me, but I take a break, and continue.

My biggest problem, though, is the 4-5 days it takes to recover from a multiday raft trip, or a long bike ride with a lot of climbing involved. As I've confessed, earlier, I'm an adrenaline junkie, and a total fun hog. I know I'm gonna pay the price, and I have to decide if it's worth it. It usually is.
      There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate gear and clothing.

Comment

Working...
      X