Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surprising coping strategies in multiple sclerosis: where do you fall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprising coping strategies in multiple sclerosis: where do you fall?

This is an interesting study about how people tend to cope with this disease of ours according to sex, age, disability and type of MS. Turns out, humor is a persistent strategy for guys--go figure! - D

-----------

Identification of coping strategies in Multiple Sclerosis

E. James1, R.J. Mills2, A. Tennant3, C.A. Young4,5, TONiC Study Group 1Barts and The London School of Medicine, London, 2Royal Preston Hospital, Preston, United Kingdom, 3Swiss Paraplegic Research, Nottwil, Switzerland, 4Walton Centre NHS Trust, 5University of Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom

Background: The physical, psychological and social impacts of Multiple Sclerosis (MS) require the patient to develop coping strategies in order to address the adverse outcomes of the disorder. The aim of our study was to identify how coping strategies vary according to demographic and clinical factors.

Method: As part of the UK TONiC study, MS patients completed the Coping Orientation for Problem Experiences Scale (COPE60), consisting of 15 domains of coping skills, along with data on demographic and clinical characteristics. We generated mean frequencies of each coping domain using SPSS22, to compare use between gender, age, disability and disease type using the Mann-Whitney U Test.

Results: 722 patients completed the questionnaire, with an average age of 49 years (17-82); 519 females (71.9%). The most common coping strategies used were Acceptance (mean=7.20, SD=2.94) and Active Coping (6.47, 2.89); the least common were Substance Use (1.05, 2.30) and Denial (2.15, 2.42).

Patients aged < 50 years were found to use more Humour (z=-3.602, p=0.0003) and Substance Use (z=-3.076, p=0.002) as coping strategies; whereas those aged ≥50 years were more likely to use Religion (z=-3.508, p=0.0005), Restraint (z=-3.739, p=0.0002) and Suppression of Competing Activities (z=-2.38, p=0.017).

Women were more likely to use Focusing on and Venting of Emotions (z=-5.192, p< 0.00001), Religion (-2.014, p=0.044), and both Seeking Instrumental (z=-3.090, p=0.002) and Emotional Social Support (z=-4.732, p< 0.00001). Men used more Humour (z=-2.661, p=0.008) and Acceptance (z=-3.031, p=0.002).

Patients with an EDSS score ≥7 or who were progressive in their disease course used more Mental (z=-2.380, p=0.17) and Behavioural Disengagement (z=-2.850, p=0.004). Progressive patients were also more likely to use Restraint (z=-2.342, p=0.019) or Religion (z=-2.350, p=0.019), whereas relapsing patients were more likely to Seek Instrumental (z=-2.029, p=0.042) or Emotional Social Support (z=-2.462, p=0.014).

Conclusion: People with MS mainly favour an active, adaptive coping approach. However, different coping strategies are deployed depending on age, gender, disability and between progressive and relapsing patients. Older and more disabled patients are more likely to use an avoidant pattern of coping.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Interesting. . .

I am not sure where I fall. At first glance, I think humor is probably my go to. The more I look at the list, I think it depends on my mood lol

Comment

Three people with MS walked into a bar . . .

Comment

I definitely use humor and acceptance. I don't have "symptoms", I have "party tricks".

Comment

Originally posted by Suebee View Post
          Three people with MS walked into a bar . . .
          Well, we know which is your go to!!

Comment

Originally posted by running for my health View Post
            I definitely use humor and acceptance. I don't have "symptoms", I have "party tricks".
            Hey it takes mad skillz to trip over a flat surface

Comment

Interesting. The results of this study are similar to one that I just wrote about involving strategies that have been used by older folks with MS:

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...g-old-with-ms/

Ed

Comment

Interesting Study

As a person of faith, I use that faith as my primary coping mechanism. Having a wife who is supportive helps a bunch too!

In addition to the above, caring for my goats is a very happy place for me.

My latest thing to cope with, my neurologist of 14 years, announced at my last appointment that he is wholesale dumping all of his M.S. patients, in favor of head injuries. *(Yeah, I get it, more money) I've been scrambling for 6 months to find someone with 2 working brain cells, with a staff that gives a darn; who takes my insurance!
                Retired engineer, now hobby farmer with goats, chickens, an old dog,and a lazy barn cat!
                Watch my goats at GoatsLive.com
                Active in amateur radio
                Linux geek, blogging at lnxgoat.com
                M.S. since 2000

Comment

Originally posted by GoatHerder View Post
                  As a person of faith, I use that faith as my primary coping mechanism. Having a wife who is supportive helps a bunch too!

In addition to the above, caring for my goats is a very happy place for me.

My latest thing to cope with, my neurologist of 14 years, announced at my last appointment that he is wholesale dumping all of his M.S. patients, in favor of head injuries. *(Yeah, I get it, more money) I've been scrambling for 6 months to find someone with 2 working brain cells, with a staff that gives a darn; who takes my insurance!
                  What's it like to herd goats? That sounds so peaceful. Do you garden too?

Geeze, I hope you find a good doctor soon. I know it's difficult. Going through it myself in a way. I'm hanging out and holding on though. I'm praying that God give him the wisdom to help, for better communication skills and energy for his patients.

Comment

I do garden, and we produce much of our vegetable needs. Goats are very calming, and when you have a goat that has bonded well with you, you would swear they can read your mind! (link to my goats in my signature line)
                    Retired engineer, now hobby farmer with goats, chickens, an old dog,and a lazy barn cat!
                    Active in amateur radio
                    M.S. since 2000

Comment

When I was first diagnosed I went with denial and anger!

Now that I have accepted things and been diagnosed for a few years (7, yay?) I would say that I am using humor a lot more. Physical activity helps me beat stress too. In general keeping the stress at bay is what I need most of. Reading, playing with the cats, meditating, etc are all things that help.

Comment

New Doc Just Fine

Originally posted by funnybutnotfunny View Post
                        What's it like to herd goats? That sounds so peaceful. Do you garden too?

Geeze, I hope you find a good doctor soon. I know it's difficult. Going through it myself in a way. I'm hanging out and holding on though. I'm praying that God give him the wisdom to help, for better communication skills and energy for his patients.
                        Oh yay, the new doc is OK. Had a nice long visit. He has no desire to change my current treatment, pat me on the head and said,"See you in 6 months, and call if you need anything."

So happy that worked out. It's been a year and 4 complete knuckleheads before I found this guy!
                        Active in amateur radio
                        M.S. since 2000

Comment

Goatherder - so glad your neuro worked out. I had a similar problem when i was in a rural area. I cross matched my insurance list of drs with the american board of neurology. But it still required a lot of calling and finding a doc. Here is link to certification search for neuro for anyone's future reference:
                          https://application.abpn.com/verifyc...fyCert.asp?a=4

I think goathearding sounds like a fantastic coping mechanism! I just saw a piece on t.v. about a "goat whisperer" and the goats seemed so intelligent.

I used to find gardening very relaxing, it cleared my head and felt cathartic as I pulled out dog gone stubborn weeds. I haven't tried gardening where i live now, it is quite hot. But I have been day dreaming about some late fall plantings in a foundation bed ....

Comment

Originally posted by Suebee View Post
                            Goatherder - so glad your neuro worked out. I had a similar problem when i was in a rural area. I cross matched my insurance list of drs with the american board of neurology. But it still required a lot of calling and finding a doc. Here is link to certification search for neuro for anyone's future reference:
                            https://application.abpn.com/verifyc...fyCert.asp?a=4

I think goathearding sounds like a fantastic coping mechanism! I just saw a piece on t.v. about a "goat whisperer" and the goats seemed so intelligent.

I used to find gardening very relaxing, it cleared my head and felt cathartic as I pulled out dog gone stubborn weeds. I haven't tried gardening where i live now, it is quite hot. But I have been day dreaming about some late fall plantings in a foundation bed ....
                            My goats really keep me sane, and the goat berries are wonderful in the garden. My bride put up dozens of tomatoes, pickles, squash, and more during our fall canning. I'm moving a tiny bit slower since last year, but not from the M.S. I got colon cancer. Caught early, but lost most if it. Colostomy to take care of now but it's been a non issue. Just taking life as it comes!
                            Active in amateur radio
                            M.S. since 2000

Comment

Goathearder, (I hate to be the chatty one on this forum. I am quite chatty in person too.) But I didn't want your post to go without comment. I'm so glad your cancer was caught early. An elderly close relative of mine lived well and a long time after a similar diagnosis and treatment.

I haven't dealt personally with cancer, but I remember when my MS was in a very aggressive stage that it was as if the world stopped and all my energies were directed at daily living. Perspective on what is important in life is something we all talk about, and of course strive for, but it is so easy to get caught up in the fray of things some days. I think though that when one faces a truly big health crisis, perspective actually comes quite easily. I recall how my disappointment over a lost promotion, office politics, needed house repairs, day care issues, all didn't matter at all when I was having my serious MS attack. How all those things had previously weighed on me, bothered me, and I realized how much time I had wasted on worrying or ruminating about all those things. Now, I'm much better physically and maybe emotionally healthier. I really do look up at the sky every day and thank God i can see it and am standing upright on my feet. Admittedly, I haven't changed 100%, I still can get to worrying or ruminating about things, but if I can remember to breathe, try to put it in "perspective" to the way I was before and not now, I think I'm generally more zen and joyful about day to day living. I hope you too are experiencing that perspective change and have joy day to day. Suebee

Comment

Working...
                              X