STUDY: Kickboxing helps MSers with balance, mobility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUDY: Kickboxing helps MSers with balance, mobility

This article popped up the other day. What's really cool is that it is effective even with those with more advanced disability. Yeah, seated kickboxing! - Dave

Alive and Kicking

A University of Dayton research study shows the benefits of kickboxing for people with multiple sclerosis.

May 13, 2011 - Daniel Katke, who has lived with multiple sclerosis for 11 years, has trouble lifting his left leg and walks with the help of a cane. But for the past five weeks, as part of a University of Dayton research study, he's pushed himself to the limit, throwing punches and kicks in a modified kickboxing program.

And it's made a difference.

"I am more mobile with my lower body, and though I still walk with a cane outside, I am able to get around my house without it," said Katke, a 56-year-old Kettering resident.

Dr. Kurt Jackson, a physical therapist and the neurology coordinator of the University of Dayton's doctor of physical therapy program, recently completed a second research study on the safety, feasibility and effectiveness of kickboxing for people with multiple sclerosis. He found kickboxing is safe, may improve the balance and mobility of people with MS and can be adapted for people with varying degrees of the disorder.

Full Article: http://www.udayton.edu/news/articles...g_research.php
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

I'm about a mile from UD...I should give them a call, or at least get out some of my old kickboxing exercise dvds!

Comment

Working...
    X