Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Ms 150

2014 MS 150

Two words, hot and windy, as difficult a two-day event as I’ve done in a long time.

Day 1 was beautiful at the start but a moderate tail wind soon started increasing and changing directions. By the time we were 30 or 40 miles in, it was blowing 15 to 25 MPH, coming at us from a 45 degree angle. Thank God for the “Bullet”, she bore the brunt of most of that wind providing at least somewhat of a break where the shoulder of the road was wide enough to allow for an echelon draft. In spite of the wind, we stayed pretty far ahead of the main pack, the “Bullet” can do that, she’s an amazingly strong young woman.

I began to feel the heat and energy drain by the time we reached the Horsetooth hills. When we got up them, I really could have cared less if we did the century or not and since we hadn’t been successful at recruiting anyone to go with us, there wasn’t much pressure. We talked it out at the rest stop a couple of miles from the century turn off and I decided to at least try the first of the “death by bike” hills. If I couldn’t get up that one, we’d abort and just roll back on down and into town. That probably would have been the smarter move but I did get up that first hill and with that confidence boost and a brief rest, we committed to the next hill and the rest of the century loop.

Conditions improved dramatically after those two little hills. A fabulous long downhill provided some good recovery and a few miles on, the route took a hard right putting the wind on our 7:00, providing a nice push. We did turn into that headwind again for the final 4 or 5 mile approach to the finish line but it seemed to have dropped to a more reasonable 5 or 10 MPH. We finished the 102 miles strong in 7:10 saddle time, 8:30 elapsed. Within a couple of hours I was really feeling it and headed off for a bite to eat and a lay down. I didn’t get back up until the next morning.

Temperatures on day 2 were forecast to reach 95 degrees so we made sure to be fed and watered early and took off a little before the start chute opened. While I wouldn’t say I struggled to get back up the Horsetooth hills, it was obvious I was moving awfully slow. After a little less than an hour, we started back down on what should have been a relatively easy day. But once again, about 20 miles into the ride, a headwind appeared and this time, it was right on the nose. It wasn’t as bad as the previous day, maybe only 10 to 15 MPH but nevertheless, it was painfully noticeable. And to add to that, “The Bullet” was showing signs of fatigue from the previous day so we jumped on pace lines when we could and took it pretty easy when we were on our own.

By about 10:00 the heat arrived. The wind stayed constant throughout the day and what should have been more or less a recovery ride turned into something much more grueling. "The Bullet's" 3 year old twins cheered us on from several spots along the route and met us as we crossed the finish line. It took us 6:43 elapsed time and 5:34 in the saddle to do that 77 miles. I didn’t have a half a hill left in me at the end and “The Bullet” wasn’t in much better shape, but we finished it! We covered nearly 180 miles over those two days, most of it in adverse conditions. As I said, it was one of the toughest two day rides I’ve ever done.

Marina and Victoria, I said I’d look for trikes and I did and there were lots of them, I saw over a dozen and I’m sure there were more. They weren’t all MSers either. One guy on a hand cycle didn’t have any kind of handicap, he just wanted to crank a hand cycle. The fact that there were so many probably had something to do with a new route choice which went around, instead of over, the Horsetooth hills. It was pretty cool and I did recognize at least one Cat Trike.

Pell, I definitely need more hill work if I’m going to have any chance at all of getting up Truchas at the NM 150 this year. Give me a week or two to settle down and see if I can figure out what my buddy’s trainer is doing and we’ll set up some kind of program. Also, I’ve read that a person in good condition can maintain conditioning with as little as 3 days of training for a total of about 6 hours per week. I imagine at least one of those days would have to include some intervals. We WILL get better on the hills.

Stay Safe,
    Larry

Comment

• Congratulations Larry on the MS150 ride! That heat and wind sounded brutal. Any chance on talking "The Bullet" into coming to ride the NM MS150? She sounds like quite a help.

I got to spend my weekend cheering my husband on in 100 degree heat at the Lubbock Buffalo Springs Half Ironman. I met fellow MSer Jim who finished the race despite the awful heat and wind. It was a treat to meet him and his wife. It is so encouraging to meet other MSers out there staying fit and active.

Wishing you a speedy recovery from that tough weekend.

Beth

Comment

• Sounds like a hard but great time Larry.

Thanks for the report and for keeping your eye out for trikes

Comment

• Thanks Beth and Marina. I forgot to mention all of the other PWMS on bikes that I saw over those two days. It seems there are more and more each year. Perhaps web sites like ActiveMSers and MS centers like Rocky Mountain are really having a positive impact on the lives of people with MS by encouraging them to be and stay active. It's a wonderful thing to witness.

Be Safe,
          Larry

Comment

• Cape Breton

Hi to all,

I've arrived here on Cape Breton. I left Montreal in sweltering heat only to arrive here and it was hotter! It has made getting around pretty challenging despite alternating my 2 ice vests. I've only managed 1 ocean swim and it was delicious although the water is warming up too fast. I really felt the benefits of my swim training all winter. My core is much stronger and I feel much more streamlined in the water. Now we're getting the tail end of Hurricane Arthur so no swimming for a few days. I plan to do some strengthening exercises later.

I'm loving all the posts. Congratulations Larry on a great ride. The trike posts from Veronica and Marina are inspirational. LivWell, on a bike-that's great. Pell, you're working hard-pat yourself on the back and good the bike computer is less in the forefront.

Take care all,

Teena Marie

Comment

• Teeny - its awesome to hear that swimming all winter helped you. A strong core is so important.

Larry - there were a lot of "I ride with MS" Jerseys at the local BikeMS ride this year, I am not sure about wearing one myself but it was great to see.

As for me...this long weekend I got out 2 of the days for a total of 42 miles and 1500 feet of climbing. Not crazy numbers, but I am happy with it, as I am outside and getting back into cycling.

Comment

• Sorry, been MIA for a while, sick relatives, grand kids, life outside the bike. Speaking of the bike, I haven't been on it since the MS 150, seems I picked up a little heat rash and other bike saddle related problems which required some time off. But, I did go hiking. Had to drive to 10,000 ft. to escape the heat and only managed about an hour and a half on a rocky trail. Used two poles and went at a snails pace but genuinely loved getting back out into the mountains. Boy, you sure have to be careful with picking that lazy foot up and putting it back down or you could be picking up your teeth. It was truly fantastic though and I am going to do more.

Glad to see you made it safe and sound TM and trust the storm passed without incident. What's the water temperature there now? I'm still thoroughly intrigued with that anomalous piece of North Sea beach you've found there.

Marina, I wasn't going to wear an I ride with MS jersey either until I met a girl who felt it made a statement, "Don't count us out" just because we have MS. But there is no doubt, we each have to do what we're comfortable with. It is cool about all of the "I ride with MS" jerseys there though. I assume you rode, how was it?

Pell, I've got my hills picked out, when I finally get going again I plan to do 5 X 5 X 5 intervals on a mile long 7% - 8% hill on Tuesdays. Thursday will be kind of a recovery/tempo ride and Saturday will be a longer hill climb at variable pace. Sunday will be whatever I can manage - maybe just down to the coffee shop.

I forgot to mention that MilesandTrials just completed her first half ironman, congratulations Beth. I did go up and see her on the bike course where we sort of recognized each other but she was going so fast neither one of us had time to react. She turned in such an impressive time on the race that it even surprised her. "Don't count us out". Pretty cool Beth.

Hope to be back on the bike soon,
                Larry

Comment

• Hi all,

Training is going well. I haven't been doing any strengthening. Just climbing sand dunes in wicked heat and 2 swims a day seems to be enough. I've attached a picture of the bay where I train. I'm sharing it with a kayaker.

Larry, the hiking sounds great. I use a bungee type cord called a Musmate to lift up my foot, especially on uneven terrain.

Keep moving everyone!

Teena Marie

IMG_0094.jpg

Comment

• Here's the link to the Musmate site.

http://www.musmate.co.uk/

Comment

• Teena Marie.....what a beautiful place to train....and it sounds like you are having wonderful workouts....

Marina....saw my PT today.....he agrees with me that the weakness for me is my right hip. He gave me an exercise, which I will describe for you below, but has concerns that it really won't be useful when I need that strength the most, after miles of riding that has fatigued my leg. He is suggesting something pretty wild.....a seat adjustment to maintain hip stability. He is suggesting that the part of the seat which supports my hip be contoured such that the hip itself is held more stable in place in regards to it medial and lateral stability. He described it as a "butt orthotic" (had a good laugh on that one!). We know a good "bikemeister" who may be able to work with us in developing such a thing.... but in the meantime, here is the exercise he is having me do. Lie on back and bend right knee. Put pillows behind head so I have good view of knee. Very slowly I am to move the knee 1 " to the right, then center, then 1" to left, keeping my eyes on the knee at all times, and keeping the movement under control. So I am starting this tonight..... Stay tuned....
                      Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

• Thanks for sharing that with me Veronica, I am going to give that exercise a try. Can't hurt and I do some other stretches in that position anyhow.

I have been paying more attention myself and think that the hip is a likely culprit as well, so that seat adjustment sounds very interesting. I wonder if it would help somewhat like a brace would?

So how has the riding been going otherwise?

Comment

• Marina, we sound like twins in Trikeland! Today when I rode, and overcompensated for the knee knock and hit my hand I thought of you! Actually my ride today was, I think, a turning point for me in terms of getting the hang of the trike. I had decided today was my riding day for the weekend. The weather has been threatening thunderstorms for the afternoon so I got out earlier than I usually would. That alone is a change for me, as with the two wheeler I was always procrastinating to get out there, and with the heat and humidity that we had today, I may have ditched it if not for the trike....I figured what the heck, what's the worse that's gonna happen.....I sweat, drink lots of water, and if I get pooped, I turn around and go back....never had to factor in the balance issue! So, I did a 19 mile run that I have always liked....basically all rail trail except for a small section on the open road that I especially like. Well, it WAS brutally hot and murky, but I focused on keeping the knee straight, and for the most part, except for the comment above, it worked out ok, not great, but doable. I also now see how I need to power thru with my hips/glutes instead of the quads, and this really helped me with increasing the speed. My PT suggested that I do some interval higher cadence for a minute or so every so often and this, too helped alot with giving me a higher average speed at the end of the ride. Did notice that once or twice the other knee edged inward abit......so I think I really need that adaptation which I am now referring to as a "Butt Bra"!!

Something that has made me chuckle whenever I have been on the trike and riders pass by.....instead of the usual bikers "nod", I have had several people WAVE at me and say Hello! Makes me feel like I'm in parade!! Just very funny....
                          Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

• Hi all,

It sounds like you trikesters rule! I'm so happy it's going so well. I know the Butt Bra will help. When on my spin bike, I sometimes hold my hip/leg in place so an actual apparatus will help.

Swim training is going well. The water could be a little cooler but since I'm in longer and longer, I don't get as chilled. I plan to start some interval training soon now that I'm in a good routine. I have also incorporated some serious kicking when in shallow water. I balance on my hands and do 100-200 kicks.

Take care, all,

Teena Marie

Comment

• Thanks for the shout out Larry, and thank you for being out there to support me in my first half Ironman. I'm still kicking myself for not yelling out to you, I guess my brain works a little slower while riding the bike! Next up is the NM MS150 Ride (hope to see you there again) and then my first Ironman in November.

It's great to read about what everyone else is doing this summer to stay healthy and moving. Keep up the great work!

Beth

Comment

• Beth- Congratulations on you half Ironman. That is an amazing accomplishment.

Marina and Veronica- I too have a weakness in my right hip that can really mess up my riding. I am in a different riding position, but I find that relaxing my hip and paying attention to my position (hips back, back straight) helps a lot. A physical therapist also told me to do diagonal lunges which really help.

Larry- I have been riding more hills, but not really doing the hill repeats properly. On the rolling hills, I can do successive hills as repeats. Tomorrow we are going on a ride with a fairly steep hill. We will see how I do. At least it will be cooler. A 7-8% hill is very admirable. I am almost stopped by a hill that steep.

Sunday we did a 40 mile ride starting at 8am. I started to feel weak/lousy about 5 miles from the end. By the time we pulling into our driveway, my vision was reversed and I had trouble getting off my bike. I managed to get in the house and the cool air fixed everything. I am very glad I was home.

I am further complicating everything by trying the Whole30 diet. It is anti-inflammatory and is supposed to reset your body. Right now it is sapping my strength, but I am going to push through. It may have had something to do with Sunday.

For the next few weeks I am doing some travel- acting like a real person- so will have limited time on the bike.

Pell

Comment

Working...
                                X