Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running a Half Marathon on NYE!

Hi Friends,

I just wanted to stop by and ask for your thoughts/prayers/support on New Years Eve as I run my first half marathon since being diagnosed with MS. I was training for the HM when I was diagnosed, but decided to find comfort and determination through staying active and continuing my training, and now we're just over two weeks away from the big day!

Like most of you, I've continued to find strength and my identity through staying active. I truly believe that staying active will help me for the rest of my MS journey. Living a healthy lifestyle is important for everyone, but even more so for us. So if you don't mind, keep me in your thoughts until that time, but especially on New Years Eve. I can't wait to give a post-race report!

Thanks in advance,

Kristen

Kristen, I have no doubt you will rock it out. I can't wait for your report! BTW, I am tempted to move this to the Fitness area of our forums, which does not need a password to view (and therefore gets a bit more traffic). Let me know and good luck.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

It's fine with me if you want to move it! Thanks!

Kristen

Comment

Way to go! You will do fantastic. I was training for my second HM when diagnosed. I live in coastal Mexico where the training season is really hot and it didn't work out with me this year because of the extreme heat ( the run was in November) but I am determined to find a HM that I can run! Congrats and good vibes!

Comment

Kristen, that's very cool. Definately wishing you luck and will be thinking of you on New Years eve. Also looking forward to hearing how it went. - Larry

Comment

Awesome. I will be praying for you

Comment

Hi Friends,

Thank you so much for your support prior to and during my half marathon! I ran for each and every one of you. I gained strength thinking of you when I was tired. This race was my best so far and I truly believe its because I had more to run for than ever before.

I started running three years ago in 2010. I gained the freshman 15 (and then some) and was jealous of my friends who were running marathons and half marathons so I started by alternating running and walking from lamp posts about 100 yards apart. I was gassed after 5 minutes. But a year and a half later, I ran my first half marathon race, running on the same path that I had started running. Running has since been an unexpected part of my identity and lifestyle. When I was diagnosed with MS in August 2013 (a day before my Dad's birthday and 8 days before mine) I used running as a coping mechanism. I was already contemplating registering for the NYE half marathon, but with my diagnosis, there was no question-- I was going to run. The fear of bad weather or a flare up wasn't going to stop me (at least in theory ). I wanted to run to prove to myself that MS is BS, and as long as I can, I will run.

I ran for you and I ran for me. I crushed my personal record by over 4 minutes. I'm so proud to be a part of a community of supportive and active MSers like myself. You all have a special place in my heart. Thank you.

Comment

4 minutes?! Way to go, Kristen! I was rooting for you.
                Dave Bexfield
                ActiveMSers

Comment

That's terrific Kristen! Congratulations....that's a high I'm sure you'll have for a long time! Well deserved......
                  Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

Congratulations Kristen, what a great way to send out the old year and bring in the new one. Well done! Got the next one planned yet? Join us for training this year on http://activemsers.wssnoc.net/showth...=5316#post5316

Larry
                    Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 01-06-2014, 05:28 PM.

Comment

That's awesome. You help keep us inspired

Comment

Way to go Kristen!

Kristen:

I am in full admiration of your spirit in taking on such a venture so soon after DX. I have to confess I kind of gave up for a while shortly after diagnosis - no way I would have taken on running a HM.

By way of encouragement to you - I was diagnosed 18.5 years ago, and ran a half marathon over the holidays. Granted it was in my local park which has a 1.5 mile loop which I ran 8 times around (plus another mile or so to get to the 13 miles) so was not an officially sanctioned distance - but who cares if it was not the exact distance.

Comment

Dear Kristen,

What a way to start 2014. Congratulations.

Teena Marie

Comment

Thank you so much everyone! YOU inspire ME! I wrote a race recap in my latest blog post if you're interested: http://faithandmargaritas.blogspot.c...uble-half.html

@GaryP - Way to go! That's so awesome! I hope you're as proud of yourself as you deserve to be!

@Fat Paul - Your story inspires me! You're doing so well! Keep it up!

Comment

Congratulations, Kristin. I was training for a marathon when I was diagnosed 2 years ago. I'm happy to say that I have been able to complete 5 marathons since then. All things are possible. Keep on moving!

Comment

Working...
                              X