ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > Forums > Dave's SCT Journey

Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-27-2019, 01:09 PM
ActiveMSers's Avatar
ActiveMSers ActiveMSers is online now
Dave @ ActiveMSers
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 3,863
Default Quality of Life in Patients with Multiple Sclerosis after HSCT

Quality of Life in Patients with Multiple Sclerosis after Autologous Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation

Juan Carlos Olivares-Gazca, MD , Iván Murrieta-Álvarez, MD , Jesús Mauricio Olivares-Gazca, MD , Yarely Itzayana García-Navarrete, MD , Yahveth Cantero-Fortiz, MD , Andrés A. León-Peña, MD , Guillermo J. Ruiz-Delgado, MD FACP , Guillermo J. Ruiz-Arguelles, FRCP, MACP

Blood (2019) 134 (Supplement_1): 5708.


Multiple sclerosis (MS) is an inflammatory, demyelinating and neurodegenerative disease of the central nervous system (CNS) that causes a whole spectrum of neurological disorders associated with a profound decrease in the quality of life of affected patients. Currently, autologous hematopoietic cell transplantation (ASCT) is a validated therapeutic approach and has been shown to be superior to new immunomodulatory agents. However, the impact of these therapies on the quality of life of patients with MS is unknown.


Identify the impact on the quality of life in patients with multiple sclerosis after ASCT at our center.


A quasi-experimental, longitudinal, prospective and single-center study was conducted in which the quality of life was determined in patients with MS before and after ASCT. Patients who could not answer the questionnaire themselves were excluded and incomplete questionnaires were eliminated. The quality of life was determined by applying the MS-QoL 29 instrument which is validated instrument for this pathology (Cronbach 0.88-0.90 and Pearson with high correlation with MS-QoL56). The variables related to the physical and mental components of the instrument as well as demographic characteristics were studied. The statistical analysis of the data included measures of central tendency as well as inferential for the comparison of means and proportions (NC 95%, p <0.05).


We included 52 patients prospectively from October 2018 to June 2019, 71% of the patients were women and the remaining 29% men. The median of age of the subset is 50 years (Interval 27-65). Of the selected patients, 45% has PPMS, 39% has SPMS and 16% has PPMS. Twenty six patients were followed at 3 months and seventeen were followed 6 months after ASCT. The statistical differences between the quality of life in the patients prior to the ASCT and the follow-up at 3 and 6 months in both the physical and mental components was analyzed. In the physical component the differences at 3 months (A) were significant (p = 0.019, 95% NC) as well as the differences at 6 months (b) after ASCT (p = 0.0024, 95% NC). In the mental component the differences were significant at 3 months (C) (p = 0.0012, NC 95%) as well as the differences at 6 months (D) after ASCT (p = 0.0007, NC 95%).


The study suggests that ASCT is a feasible and safe therapeutic alternative to improve the quality of life in patients with multiple sclerosis.
Dave Bexfield
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.