Loose/lax joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose/lax joints

Hi. I was wondering if anyone has experienced loose hip and knee joints because of muscle weakness. I had surgery several months ago and I got physically weaker during my recooperation. I feel like my leg muscles and hip
    Flexors can't stabilize my knee and hip joints. It feels painful and fatiguing to walk or stand. I just started PT, but we are in the evaluation part. It would boost my spirits if someone can tell me they felt this way and PT or strength training helped. Thanks!

This may be a similar issue. I had chronic hip pain on my weak side for years and, before it was finally diagnosed as an impinged hip joint, it contributed to chronic hyper extension of the knee in that leg. I started getting steroid shots in the hip which did alleviate the pain at least for a few months at a time. I used the pain free time to try to strengthen the hip and after a year or so found that not only did I start getting better control of the knee, but lately seem to be able to go longer and longer before the pain in the hip returns, thus longer between steroid shots.

What I have concluded from all of this is that chronic pain, particularly in a major appendage, causes weakness in the muscles of that limb and that that weakness, on top of the MS related weakness, can cause or at least contribute to the development of other mobility problems, particularly other joint problems. In the case of my hip, the muscle weakness from the chronic pain also made the pain worse, which made the muscles weaker which made the pain worse etc. etc. etc.

I was fortunate to have found a good PT who helped me strengthen the hip at approximately the same time I started the steroid shots and I am hopeful that I can stop or even reverse what could have become a very nasty downward spiral. Hopefully your PT can help you regain your strength in that leg. Don't be surprised if it takes longer than you might think it should.

Good Luck,
    Larry

Comment

Thanks Larry! After my initial PT day, an evaluation day, I realized I'm going to need to be really proactive in getting my strength back. I got a little overwhelmed seeing a lot of patients at varying degrees of disability, and it reminded me of how far I've come and how much I didn't want to slide backwards. I felt a little like from an outward view at PT I have minimal issues. I can walk without a cane. I can put my clothes on and off and feed myself. But I can't walk far. I have little endurance. My core and arms get tired sitting. This weakness and fatigue it's having a dramatic effect on what I can do since may when I had my surgery. Ive been planning on going back to work. I financially need to return to work and so I'm anxious. I have to wait for PT to schedule me going forward. In meantime, I am going to try a stationary bike in minute increments and see where that takes me. It is nice to know that you and other activemsers are out there, knowing where I'm coming from. Because it feels a little like Organized PT is going to be helpful but not everything I need. Suebee

Comment

Suebee, I say "ditto" to Larry's comment about being prepared for it taking longer than you would want, but it sounds like you have the motivation to charge on and do what you need to. I've been told by one of my MS professionals that just the time under general anesthesia that a surgery like yours demanded can trigger some of these setbacks. Hang tight and keep doing the PT and the home exercises...which I know you will.... I'm rooting for you!
        Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

Thanks Veronica. I appreciate your thoughts.

Comment

I had to wait to get follow up appt with PT familiar with MS. I was correct that my hip flexors are weak, in addition my hip abductors are hardly working. This in combo
            With weak core has made me feel awful. Thankfully, therapist is working with me to design a wk out program I can do at home. We've started with just a few reps 2x day of some stretches and movements which isolate these weak muscles. I also will do stationary bike on no or low resistance building up in 1 min increments. It is hard to not overdo exercises because I want to get better now. But I'll do as instructed, and. Go slow. But I'm Not going to give in to the MS dragon.

Comment

More pT and vestibular habituation

Just an update. I am continuing PT. It seems like I have made slow progress, but PT says I've improved. I am doing 1. 1/2 lb hand weights exercises during my off min on bike. Exercises to strengthen my pelvis "girdle" have been added. And balance exercises. As well "vestibular habituation". I had never heard of this until now. The theory is to train your brain not to get dizzy when you move your head by practicing turning your head and focusing on particular object. I'm told one can reduce dizziness this way if CNS cause. I wish somebody thought to tell
              Me years ago.! I will let you know if it helps me.

Comment

Specific Transversus ab and multifidus exercises

Hi all, I am making progress on improving my strength but have learned my deep ab muscles are not able to stabilize my hips correctly. So I've been doing exercises to increase my stability. It was explained to me that without doing this I will recruit the wrong muscles when walking etc. I found this link listing exercises that closely resemble what I
                Am doing in Pt. I really needed a PT to make sure I was engaging muscles correctly, so if you think you have a weak core, see if you can get a PT or other professional to review these type of exercises with you. I'm posting because in 10 years no one has given me these exercises before !

Comment

Link to deep core exercises

Link to exercises http://www.dianelee.ca/article-train...re-muscles.php

Comment

GOOD ARTICLE Suebee, thanks for that!

Comment

Suebee,

Certainly sounds like good news.

The article is great. Many thanks,

Teena Marie

Comment

Suebee, Just had the chance to read the article. Really nice to have all this info in one location. And you found this on your own? Super sleuth, good work! And it sounds like you've made a really good decision with this PT... I'm happy for you!
                        Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

Yes, I looked for the article on hips because I didn't fully understand the importance of the isolation exercises the PT had me doing, and needed reassurance I was going down rt path. These exercises don't seem like much, especially when performing them, but I would notice a burn or fatigue afterwards, and I now can feel the contraction of the deep abs when I isolate them. My walking speed subsequently improved a little. I've started doing more "advanced" exercises for hip stability with ball. I found this image of exercise
                          http://www.boston.com/yourlife/healt...workouts?pg=11.

It requires the hips to be stable to walk hands out as one lays face down on big ball and walk back. I need to concentrate intensely on keeping core tight and hips stable as I walk out and back. I also can not walk out too far on ball at this point because I loose control of stability. It is, however, a really simple exercise, and I'm told it's the one which will get my hips/ core stable. I'm also told I can / will graduate to more complex ab ball stabilizer exercises. And There are a ton of examples on web of these exercises, if you google it. But Right now, I'm sticking with simple roll out. I'm determined to get stronger. And I need my core/ hips stable before I can do more involved exercises. I recommend this exercise if you are dealing with same issue.

Comment

Working...
                          X