Urbanpoling - Activator walking poles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urbanpoling - Activator walking poles

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and found lots of very helpful info around cooling vests. I noticed when reading the trekking reviews though that there was no mention of Activator Poles by Urban Polling on this site. So I'd like to share my experience as I love these poles and I've spent so much more time outdoors since buying them.

So this is my first non-professional review

I purchased these poles in 2012 after using "trekking poles" in the city - as a necessity to get around. In my case with stability and balance issues a cane wasn't enough anymore and I wasn't ready for a rollator. While I did like my current trekking poles I was looking to upgrade them when I stumbled across the Activator poles on the web.They were a godsend for me for two reasons.

1. The handles don't use straps - they have a uniquely shaped ergonomic handle that supports your hand/wrist which which allows you to hold them loosely (as opposed to a death grip). And the larger then normal handle also helps with the feeling of control. I found this so much better then the straps on my trekking poles. The easier grip= less effort = less fatigue which is great for my MS.

2. The tips are very "sticky" and soft. They call them "Bell tips". When I walk I can't always depend on my ability to keep the poles parallel with my body. With these tips I don't have any problem with them slipping when I push off with the poles on an angle. And the "stickiness" provides a great grip even on wet surfaces.

These poles are also lightweight and collapsible.

The only negative thing I have to say about them is the ergonomics around the handles resulted in having specific Left and Right poles. As a result when I grab them to go walking I inevitably end up with the wrong pole in the wrong hand! They do provide indicators (an L and R) on the top of the poles in case you cant "feel" if you have them right.

When looking at this review keep in mind the application for me is more as a walking aid then for hiking..although they may help with both. Urban Polling does carry different poles but the Activator is marketed specifically for rehab or mobility.

Their web site does a much better job of explaining their benefits. http://urbanpoling.com/our-poles

"the only difference between a happy ending and a sad ending is where you decide the story ends."
    — Andrew Kaufman

Great review, bobbo! Detailed and informative--just what members need.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

Activator walking poles

Bobbo: I read your review of these and factored it into what Dave had reviewed with other trekking poles, researched the Activator thru Urbanpoling website, watched their video, and decided to go for it.....I just got them the end of last week, was away over the weekend and had a short period of time to try them at my friends' house, in their backyard. I was amazed what a difference they made in my being able to COMFORTABLY walk down to their garden, stand within the narrow rows of their raised beds, turn, step over hoses and vines, and not be preocuppied with staying upright. Now that part is probably not particular to the Activator, but today I took them up to a park that I like along the Hudson River, and had the most soul satisfying short walk...a comfortable relaxing walk......I would have gone farther but it started to rain....didn't rain on MY parade at all though. Very happy you wrote that review, and that I read it.... This is really life changing...dramatic, but true for me..... I have been using a single cane when needing to walk outside for anything longer than 100 steps or so, and for the other times when I want to spend the day at a park, or an outside event have used my Segway, which I love, but nothing beats being able to be self powered... And the Activators seem to be what I need over the other poles....I use them as instructed for mobility and see where that is a bit different than when using them for hiking, or power walking. Thank you, Thank you!
      Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

Working...
      X