ActiveMSers Forums  

Go Back   ActiveMSers Forums > ActiveMSers.org Forums > MS Fitness

Old 05-19-2020, 09:14 AM
Junior Optimistic Misfit

On the Bike/Trainer about 3 to 4 times a week, usually 30 to 40 minutes, then its stretching time. The other days are for stretching, core, weights or out with the trekking poles/cane to get a walk in.
Try to do some form of exercise at least once a day, but there are days when I know the legs need a rest day.

Larry, ordered the pedals and shoes, should be here this weekend. Hope it helps with the out door rides.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:55 PM
MS Yoda

Hey guys, I know it's been a while but I needed to take a little down time there, not to worry though, I have been active.

Karen, been watching your walk challenge, nice work!
Ronnie, I love your stories. What I love most about them is the variety of predicaments you seem to be able to get yourself into and then remarkably somehow back out of! It's still all about the adventure isn't it?
Dave, couldn't agree more with your reasoning on the new trike. It's the exploration part that intrigues me the most. Like Veronica, can't wait to see and hear all about it!

JT, I hope those peddles work as well for you as they did for me, I give them credit for launching my cycling endeavors. I did Crack 3 or 4 helmets while I was figuring it all out but never really hurt myself more than a few raspberries on knees and elbows. I was always pleasantly surprised by other cyclists who might rush over to check on me then make some comment about having been there and done that! I really think it also greatly improved my powers of situational awareness. Have fun and welcome aboard!

So I did need a little down time but I wasn't just doing nothing! I'm up to almost 1,000 miles now and over 45,000 ft. Of ascent. My goal is over 3,000 miles and 105,000 ft of ascent (20 miles) for the year. It won't be easy getting there but I think it just might be possible.

My toughest climb so far this year is Squaw Pass. It's 16 miles one way, starts at an elevation of 7,800 ft and goes to 11,000. I've attempted it twice, made it once and ran out of leg the next time, but only by a mile or so and a couple hundred ft. of ascent. The altitude definitely gets to me but it's a bit worrisome that it's actually leg strength that turns me around. Oh well, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. On the plus side, I beat my best time of the year on Lookout Mtn. by a remarkable 4 minutes after I did Squaw!

Take care all,
Larry
Old 05-24-2020, 03:37 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

JTHrider, smart call on the pedals. If your ever transition to a trike they are pretty much mandatory. After you get used to them (trust me, you will) you'll wonder how in the heck you managed without them.

Way to crush it, Larry! I'm again looking forward to hills. My new e-trike is going to crush them! Hills on a handcycle are agony times two...
Old 05-30-2020, 06:34 PM
Junior Optimistic Misfit

Have been looking at trikes, due to balance not being what it used to, fine when the bike is moving sketchy at times when I stop.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:31 PM
Optimistic Misfit

That is the same reason I moved from 2 wheels to 3. Iím much more relaxed on my trike than I ever was on 2 wheels. Balance isnít an issue, no concerns about needing to unclip from the pedals in a hurry. I miss the speed of riding on 2 wheels but since I purchased a trike with e-assist that is no longer an issue. Feeling more relaxed also means Iím putting on more miles, losing weight and sleeping better because of the increased exercise. For me it is mental and physical therapy.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:56 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Grady, my new e-trike handcycle arrives soon! As for my current training, I got out on the bike trail for the first time since mid March. We picked a day we thought that would be pretty day, and we guessed right. Friday night. Clouds threatening rain. And 97 degrees!

Burned nearly 1,000 calories and rocked my heart rate, maxing at 159. My average overall HR was pretty high, almost certainly due to the heat.

Overall, a great day! Hope everyone else is still getting their fit on during this challenging time.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:38 PM
Optimistic Misfit

Dave, I think we need to see a photo of your new toy or better yet would be a video of you in action.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:00 PM
MS Yoda

The guy I've been helping train for Ride the Rockies decided since the ride has been cancelled due to Covid, we'd go down to Durango and do our own version of it independently, so we did. It was a mini version of RTR because of time and because some of those roads are really only safe in the context of an organized group event. Red Mountain Pass for example, is an old narrow two lane highway with almost no shoulder, limited guard rails and very steep drop offs. It's a beautiful scenic drive with 3,000 ft. of ascent but is heavily trafficked by tourists in motor homes as well as semi's. We didn't see a single bike on that drive. We rode 4 out of the 5 days we traveled though and managed 110 miles and almost 6,000 ft. of climb, got snowed on once and faced heavy winds which generally blew us up the hills and made us pedal back down. Classic Ride the Rockies weather and terrain!

For the year to date I've got 1,265 miles and 64,485 ft of ascent.

Dave, did the trike arrive yet? BTW, I saw an incredibly rad e-trike on the trail the other day. It looked like a Niner version of a trike with e capability, really cool.

Larry

Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 06-19-2020 at 01:54 PM. Reason: spell checker sucks
Old 06-20-2020, 12:23 PM
Dave @ ActiveMSers

Larry, that ride sounds great! I love that area and have explored it a lot (not on a bike, though).

Getting out for rides every other day or so. I've been on major deadline with several projects including a website redesign, so it's been a bit crazy lately. So posting has been limited lately, sorry.

My new bike has yet to arrive. But here's a preview! Imagine the Comp CC in yellow. It is being built in Austria by Alois Praschberger, a leader in adaptive gear. The wait is killing me!

https://praschberger.com/en/

Old 06-21-2020, 01:15 AM
MS Master

WOW! (Whistle whistle )