Stem Cell Transplants for MS: HALT-MS Trial Gears Up for Its Next Phase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stem Cell Transplants for MS: HALT-MS Trial Gears Up for Its Next Phase

Everyday Health interviewed me about my experience in Phase 2. Good read. - D

Stem Cell Transplants for MS: HALT-MS Trial Gears Up for Its Next Phase

One of the most prominent clinical trials of stem cell transplants for MS will enroll new participants in early 2018.

By Quinn Phillips
    Medically Reviewed by Samuel Mackenzie, MD, PhD

A few years ago, Everyday Health reported on a clinical trial called HALT-MS. This ongoing study is one of several in recent years to investigate stem cell transplants for multiple sclerosis (MS), in which a person’s own stem cells are harvested before a course of chemotherapy is given to almost completely destroy the immune system, after which the stem cells are infused back into the body.

HALT-MS is one of the most prominent ongoing trials involving stem cell transplants for MS, and its researchers have their sights set on making transplantation a mainstream treatment for MS. But first, they need to directly compare transplantation with the best drug-based treatments currently available — which is exactly what phase 3 of the trial will do.

Whether you’re potentially interested in participating in future clinical trials, or just eager to learn about where*MS treatment may be headed, here’s an overview of what researchers hope to learn in the study’s next phase and what it may mean for participants.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/multip...halt-ms-trial/
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Thank you Dave for sharing your story with the public. You do it with such grace and seemingly so easily, I think we here in your virtual forum might sometimes forget how much courage it takes to tell the world your story without a moniker, using a real name and showing your real face.

I think it is safe for me to say that your efforts are much appreciated by us with MS.

One it helps educates others about MS and two, it helps us with MS make the so very difficult decisions about treatment options.

Thank you, Suebee

Comment

The pics are also good. One is during the chemo phase, another is recovery in the hospital (exercising!) and the last is from our recent Peru trip. - D
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
      X