Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Out of the danger zone? Crap, not so fast...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of the danger zone? Crap, not so fast...

The most dangerous time of a stem cell transplant is the 3 to 4 weeks you are in the hospital. The next danger phase is month 1-3, while your immune system is still seriously compromised. I was getting weekly blood tests to catch any nastiness early (EBV, CMV, and JC viruses). Month 3-6 is safer but not risk free by a long shot. My blood tests are now every other week. And with my most recent one a red flag went up.

Unfortunately the Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) has reactivated in me. This is fairly common with SCTs. The levels are still low (I have no symptoms), but my SCT docs are watching the values closely. It can be fatal if it gets out of control. Docs aren't too worried at this stage, especially since I'm in month 4 and the immune system is in decent shape. Even so, it reminds me that I'm not out of the woods yet. We'll see what my next blood test shows...
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Best of luck Dave!!!

Comment

New blood test showed my EBV as negative. This is great news, especially stress-wise. I definitely did not want mono again!
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

Good news!

Dave, that's great news. Keep up the good health!

Comment

Hey Dave -

I started to reply to your post and then was distracted by the children - they are asleep - so I will try again - so glad your EBV is negative - achance for your new immune system to get it right. I now thk of my MS as a perfect viral storm - meningitis as a baby, mono age 9 (EBV), multiple episodes of herpes labalis in med school (da ya thk I was stressed - they always came at exam times - which hwas frequently - ouch). My first clinically recognized episode was two weeks before graduation from med school in May 1999. It did not require steriods - just changed my life -to before MS diagnosis and after - but it really has not changed my life - completed residency, still bicycle - not the 150-200 nmiles a week I did 4 yrs ago - but that is not becase of MS - it is because I got married (finally at 42) and we had a toddler invasion Feb 28, 2009 - adopted Franklin, Abigale and Natalie.

Mary

Comment

Working...
          X