Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STUDY: Short-term interval aerobic exercise training does not improve memory function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUDY: Short-term interval aerobic exercise training does not improve memory function

At first blush this result is disappointing. But the full study is available to read, and it uncovers some issues. Two stand out, although others are noted.

First, the disability level of participants is low, and cognition issues are low as well, something the authors acknowledged.

Compared to our previous study in progressive MS patients (Briken et al., 2014), RRMS patients in the current trial were substantially less disabled physically and cognitively when entering the trial, thereby potentially limiting room for improvements (ceiling effect). Mean EDSS values were below 2.0 which were the lowest among 26 recently reviewed exercise interventions in MS assessing cognition as an outcome (Sandroff et al., 2016). In addition, all mean baseline scores on cognitive function were within one SD of normative values. In contrast, at least 40% of unselected RRMS cohorts show cognitive deficits (Chiaravalloti & DeLuca, 2008)
    Second, and critical IMO, was the intensity level. Note this is interval training, not high-intensity interval training. Past studies have shown light to moderate aerobic exercise in MSers, while good for overall health, has little effect on cognition (or fatigue).

Training intensity—albeit carefully tailored to the individual patient’s level of fitness at baseline—was only moderate and training frequency deliberately set at the lower end. Certainly, the low intensity may account for the negative findings.
    What to make of all of this? I dunno. It seems like a well-done study, but it's a shoulder shrugger. It answered little. Meh. - D

Short-term interval aerobic exercise training does not improve memory functioning in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis—a randomized controlled trial

Research article
    Clinical Trials Immunology Neurology Psychiatry and Psychology

Lisa Baquet​, Helge Hasselmann, Stefan Patra, et al.

Published December 12, 2018
    PubMed 30581662

Abstract

Background
    Only few aerobic exercise intervention trials specifically targeting cognitive functioning have been performed in multiple sclerosis.

Objective and Methods
    This randomized controlled trial with 34 patients in the intervention group (IG) (mean: 38.2 years (±9.6)) and 34 patients in the control group (CG) (mean: 39.6 years (±9.7)) aimed to determine the effects of aerobic exercise on cognition in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS). The primary outcome was verbal learning assessed by the verbal learning and memory test (VLMT). Patients were randomized to an IG or a waitlist CG. Patients in the IG exercised according to an individually tailored training schedule (with two to three sessions per week for 12 weeks). The primary analysis was carried out using the intention-to-treat (ITT) sample with ANCOVA adjusting for baseline scores.

Results
    A total of 77 patients with RRMS were screened and 68 participants randomized (CG n = 34; IG n = 34). The sample comprised 68% females, had a mean age of 39 years, a mean disease duration of 6.3 years, and a mean expanded disability status scale of 1.8. No significant effects were detected in the ITT analysis for the primary endpoint VLMT or any other cognitive measures. Moreover, no significant treatment effects were observed for quality of life, fatigue, or depressive symptoms.

Conclusion
    This study failed to demonstrate beneficial effects of aerobic exercise on cognition in RRMS. The trial was prospectively registered at clinicaltrials.gov (NCT02005237).

FULL ARTICLE:
    https://peerj.com/articles/6037/
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Help My Brain is Melting - Where can I get easy instruction on HIIT and how to's

Super hopeful to read that there is a way to help my cognitive and that results are happening for people! HIIT?? I am not very fit at the moment, I mean on a fare day I can even go shopping. I have allowed my sedentary stressful lifestyle trying to keep up in a corporate world take too many things and now that is headed out the door with my mushy brain. But WOE!!! As I read I realize that I am choosing to make it worse!?!?! Working longer to make up for the brain fog and trying to keep it all afloat. The challenges are affecting every part of my life at this point. But you are telling me that I HAVE A CHOICE! But alas, I don't understand all the studies and haven't ever been someone who is naturally drawn to working out. I do love to Dance and a myriad of other things. But whatever it is I just need to get some info and maybe some assistance to try this.

So TMI right there, my question is how to get started and any recommendations for a super beginner with little energy and time? I am hopeful and I think this might just change my life. So thank you for putting this all out there!

Comment

Thank you VERY much Dave

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFuel View Post
        Super hopeful to read that there is a way to help my cognitive and that results are happening for people! HIIT?? I am not very fit at the moment, I mean on a fare day I can even go shopping. I have allowed my sedentary stressful lifestyle trying to keep up in a corporate world take too many things and now that is headed out the door with my mushy brain. But WOE!!! As I read I realize that I am choosing to make it worse!?!?! Working longer to make up for the brain fog and trying to keep it all afloat. The challenges are affecting every part of my life at this point. But you are telling me that I HAVE A CHOICE! But alas, I don't understand all the studies and haven't ever been someone who is naturally drawn to working out. I do love to Dance and a myriad of other things. But whatever it is I just need to get some info and maybe some assistance to try this.

So TMI right there, my question is how to get started and any recommendations for a super beginner with little energy and time? I am hopeful and I think this might just change my life. So thank you for putting this all out there!
        SF, a quick suggestion, just start by trying to walk further. Start with about 3 days a week, 15 or 20 minutes a day. See if you can work that up. A little weight training is a great idea too, I think you'll be surprised with the results of just using relatively light hand weights for just 2 or 3 months. Hope this helps, good luck.

Comment

SoulFuel and others, as Laura is going back to work Monday, I'll be getting back more into the swing of things. And I'll get off my duff and do a detailed HIIT article for MSers. Will take a few weeks, fyi. But it'll be thorough!
          Dave Bexfield
          ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
          X