Anyone under 30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone under 30?

Hello, new here. I've just been diagnosed, am 20 years old. I've been reading through a ton of posts here, everyone is so helpful! Just wondering though, if anyone here is under 30? I am curious to discover if there are major differences between those diagnosed later in life vs. early...are there major differences in effects, life style changes (eg. did your career path change vs. are you retired)? I've read that many are diagnosed between 20 and 50 years, but I haven't found anyone my age yet and this makes it harder for me to relate, I think...The other day I went to an MS support center in my city, and I only saw people well over 40 years- I admit that I felt pretty lonely, despite the unified cause for us being there. So please feel free to answer this, I'd love to meet anyone more my age and to share stories, if that's okay.

My local MS mentor was diagnosed in her early 20s - very serious 1st or 2nd attack, with temporary paralysis of a hand. She had 2 close family members (sister and cousin) with very serious progressive MS, also diagnosed early (I think one was 19). She went on DMDs immediately (Avonex and Betaseron), as well as participating in medical trials, largely because she needed to take care of 2 daughters. Over 30 years later, she has no obvious symptoms, albeit some needle scars from all of the DMDs, and is a serious (obsessive in a good way) mountain-bike rider and gym rat.
    My first attack was about age 37, but not diagnosed until 19 years later, so I'm too old for you to directly identify with. Good luck, anyway - the outlook today is so much better, particularly for gym rats.

Comment

Thanks Celia! Reading this is pretty encouraging for me. I am pretty anxious for my neuro to subscribe me a DMD, so that my symptoms don't progress before I have a chance to do anything about it. But gym rat I am, so gotta keep at it! hahaha ^_^

Comment

Niko, I'm 26 and I know what you mean. We are definitely on the younger end of this spectrum but I plan on being on the very far other end of the spectrum one day too so I try and do everything I can to stay healthy. You're not alone buddy. I'll send you a PM with my contact info if you ever want to talk or email.
        Rob Davidson
        Active With MS
        www.facebook.com/ActiveWithMS

Comment

Hi Niko

I am 28, diagnosed when I was 25. Its super fun being in your 20s with MS. (OK that was facetious but, you know.)

Marina-

Comment

Hi Niko -- I'll never know for sure, but I believe I may have had my first attack when I was 21, although I wasn't diagnosed for more than 20 years. I would've freaked out back then, I'm glad I didn't know, although I read an interesting book by a musician named Laurie Lindeen, who got DXd in her early 20s and she said that having MS (admittedly, with not much disability at all) spurred her on to kind of 'go for broke' in life (I'm paraphrasing) , rather than playing it safe, in that she felt like she better get her laps in now...

Anyway, sorry to hear about your news, try not to freak out. You can't control the disease, but you also can't control whether you get hit by a bus or struck by lighting, you just keeping on moving forward. That sounds like a cliche, but you know what I mean... Anyway, hang in there.

Comment

You might like this:

http://www.laurenparrott.com/

Comment

Thanks everyone for your comments and feedback ! You have all been very encouraging, I am so glad to have found this forum.
                Keep in touch!
                Niko

Comment

Working...
                X