Hot Baths Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Baths Anyone?

I read somewhere that people with MS should not be taking hot baths. However, I come from California and am used to hot weather and since I moved to Scotland, I love taking a hot bath at night as I find it so relaxing. Kind of like a way to destress. I asked my doctor about this and she said, it should be okay as long as it doesn't affect me. I was worried that I would be damaging nerves if I carried on? I am still taking hot baths and still feel relaxed afterwards. Anybody else in the same boat as I am? (Pardon the pun)
    Last edited by Stella; 04-16-2011, 01:05 PM.

Hot tub

I am in our hot tub every day and we keep ours very hot. There is no problem unless it makes you weak or brings on other symptoms. I find it very relaxing and it doesn't seem to cause any problem for me.
    My neuro doesn't understand why the hot weather makes me weak but the hot tub doesn't. I plan to continue to enjoy it on a daily basis.

Comment

Thanks for your response Pell. It is good to hear I am not the only one that enjoys the relaxation of a hot bath or tub. As I said, I was worried that it would do some damage to the nerves but I will put that idea out of my head and just enjoy the relaxation. In regard to the hot weather, here in Scotland, it is something I haven't experienced. It can get way too cold here in the winter time and the summers are so cool. I wonder now that I have been diagnosed how I will cope when I do go back to California for a visit or to stay. I won't worry about that now anyway, I will just carry on and try and do all my usual things. Take care.
      Last edited by Stella; 04-17-2011, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Hot Water!

I would rather ride a bike around the Alps for a week than submerge myself in hot water for even 20 minutes. At least at the end of the week on a bike, I'd still be able to walk! Not so with the hot water.

I doubt there is any permanent damage but the temporary incapacity from hot water is devastating to me.

Comment

Hot showers and baths are not a big deal for me, but the legs might get a little wonky if I hang out for too long. But I know others who can't take hot water period. That said, if you have no issues, soak away!
          Dave Bexfield
          ActiveMSers

Comment

Taking hot baths or showers is not a big issue for me...
            But can you tell me or share the link where you have read that people with MS should not be taking hot baths..???

Comment

No, no, hot baths are fine for people who can tolerate them. If you feel way worse after you take one, well, then they should be avoided. They won't make your MS worse—you just might feel crummy temporarily.

In terms of clinical trial evidence, the one thing researchers have found that definitely makes your MS worse in terms of advancing the disease: cigarette smoking. So that's the one thing you should not do if you have multiple sclerosis. Everything else is fine (or at least up for debate).
              Dave Bexfield
              ActiveMSers

Comment

Hi Becham, you asked for an article and I found this and hope it helps:

http://ms.about.com/od/signssymptoms...intoleranc.htm

I have always enjoyed a hot bath, hence, that is why I was inquiring if it was okay with my doctor but from what she and some of you said, it's okay to continue as long as you don't feel any worse for it. I love my hot baths as they thoroughly relax me at night before bed. Hope the article helps.

Comment

Working...
                X