With MS should I be exercising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With MS should I be exercising

I have not "exercised", since my accident and subsequent MS full on symptoms began back last July (2009).
    I know, that if my body gets too hot, that's a very bad thing, but I also know I have to watch my weight, and exercise.
    My wife just got us a membership at the "Y" (YMCA), because she wants to start doing water aerobics, for her arthritis and pain in her back and legs.
    I told her I would join with her, but not necessarily do the water aerobics.
    I have a condition whereby, when underwater, I lose my sense of "which way is up", even though I know, it's a pool, and all I have to do is put my feet down, unless, I'm in the deep end, if you know what I mean.
    Before all this happened, my usual mode of exercise, was a stationary bike.
    Not one that looks like a bicycle, but one you kinda lay back in, stretch out your legs, and pedal.
    My machine, told me my average speed (mph), how far I "traveled" (in tenths of a mile), and calculated how many calories I was burning.
    On my machine, I did a one mile "warm up" and one mile "cool down", and recorded about 40 miles and about 1500 calories burned, and I did this in less than 90 minutes.
    This was before I had foot surgery, so it has probably been more than 2 years, since I have even attempted this.
    So, when my wife set us up at the Y, I checked out their stationary bikes, and they can do the same as mine.
    My Q? Is should I go back to the stationary bike, should I attempt or expect the same results, or should I not attempt it, and just do water aerobics, or simply swim laps (which I can do, as long as I swim on top of the water)?

Your input is most welcomed.

Please tell me, what any of you do, if anything.

I also have a Wii fit plus, at home, but it doesn't seem like much of a workout, and takes forever to burn many calories.

Thank you for your time, consideration, and cooperation, I truly appreciate it.

-- Socrates

Definitely go for it

I am a firm believer in exercising as much as I can despite the diagnosis of MS. I have some problems with the heat, but a fan next to my inside bike seems to help.
    I have become a bit of a cycling fanatic over the past year. I have had MS for 10 years and I am far more fit and active now than I was 10 years ago.
    I do have some problems with my balance, but I cope. I have had a couple of falls from the bicycle, but I keep going. I would think you could do the water aerobics without any problem. You don't go under water in that class, so you can stay oriented without a problem.
    The stationary bike should be fine as well, especially if it is in a cool location. Of course, you have to get back in shape, but you can do that. It depends on the effects of your MS, but you can become more fit than ever.
    My neurologist feels that my exercise is the primary reason I am doing well. Exercise improves cognitive function as well.
    The Wii Fit is great for balance exercises. I really find those challenging and fun.
    Go for it.

Pell
    Last edited by pawpaw; 06-21-2010, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Definitely go for it. I have an elliptical at home, and also run really hot. I got a large fan and put that thing right on me when I am on the machine. It helps alot. I also keep my speed down so I can go for longer without getting all rubbery legged!

I have taken a few water aerobics classes and love them, the water really helps keep you cool and makes it really easy to stretch and takes the balance element mostly out of the equation.

Good luck

Comment

I agree with Marinadca and pawpaw, go for it. But don't immediately try to replicate 40 miles in 90 minutes on a stationary bike--and toss out those calorie counts. Do what you can do in spurts, and bump it up as your body allows.
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
        X