Doctor with MS undergoing SCT at Northwestern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctor with MS undergoing SCT at Northwestern

Dr. Chad Pfefer, a 43-year-old physician from Oregon who I now consider a friend, is starting the MIST stem cell transplant protocol at Northwestern under Dr. Burt. Chad, er Dr. Pfefer, gave me permission to post his blog link. "The more we can get the word out the greater the chances of helping our cause!" I whole heartily agree. Good luck to you and your family, Chad. (For those who sign his guest book, you'll get regular updates e-mailed to you.) - Dave

So, you might ask why I'm going to Chicago to have a bunch of chemo and poisons put into my body at the age of 43? The answer is, I have a beautiful wife and two sons that I love. Kim and I have been together 10 years, Ben is almost 5 and Liam is 3 1/2 years old. Oh yeah, and I have Multiple Sclerosis. I've failed current FDA approved treatments. So, that's why I'm having a bone marrow ablation, followed by a stem cell transplant under the care of Dr. Richard Burt and his team. The treatment is new and promising. Currently, Dr. Burt is in phase 3 trials. He gives us hope for the future. HOPE is why I'm going to Chicago!
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/chadpfefer
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Chad goes into the hospital tomorrow, getting started with cytoxin and ATG. We are all wishing him the best!
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

Dear Dr. Chad:

Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you and your family. Our very best wishes for a successful recovery.

Jack and Sonya Baker

Comment

Today is Chad's transplant day; I hope all went well. He's had a good run so far, with no major complications and I want it to stay that way! Happy second b-day, Chad....
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

Absolutely -- rock on Chad!! We're pulling for you.

Comment

Chad is back home, can feel his feet again, and is looking forward to going back to work and seeing patients again. He'll still update his website on occasion, so if you have signed his guest book, you'll get an e-mail alert when he does. Keep healing, doc, and be careful you don't get sick!
            Dave Bexfield
            ActiveMSers

Comment

How's Chad Doing?

Hi Dave- Wondering if you've heard how Dr. Chad Pfefer in doing? I have been following his progress on Caring Bridge but noticed he hasnt posted in while. Not to be nosey just really interested and care. Hope your cold is getting better!

Comment

Chads Back

Dr. Pfefer posted an update yesterday. From the sounds of it he continues to progress but like many of us this time of year is battling the crud. Best wishes Chad. Glad to hear you are doing well. You are in my prayers.

Comment

I just kicked that stupid cold, too. I hope to meet up with Chad this coming fall as he has early plans to get in a trip to Santa Fe. He seems like a really nice guy and truly wants to help get the word out about this treatment. He's been helping a lot of folks.

BTW, nice to meet you Mike (iron or not)!
                  Dave Bexfield
                  ActiveMSers

Comment

Doc posted another update, his 8th month post transplant.
                    Dave Bexfield
                    ActiveMSers

Comment

Dr Chad just celebrated his one year anniversary. Here's his update:

Hello all! At the end of January I had my one year followup at Northwestern Hospital in Chicago. The long and short of it is my MRIs show no new activity and the existing lesions in my brain and spinal cord are shrinking. More importantly, my EDSS which is a the way that physicians judge disability has dramatically improved from a pretransplant level of 3.0 to a one year post transplant level of 1.5.

MORE: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/chadpfefer
                      Dave Bexfield
                      ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
                      X