No announcement yet.

MSers in Training 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teena Marie, always so happy to see your recent posts, and thrilled that you are getting your routine back, albeit still in active recovery. Job interview sounds very interesting, indeed!

Everyone else's recent posts have helped me get back some motivation that I have lost since the start of the year. Upon my return from Colorado mid Jan, I got that dastardly "cold" that was going around. Really did a number on me for 4 weeks. Asthma and bronchitis put the kibosh on much exercise. I maintained my stretching and some balance exercises, but really was off my game for weeks on end. Just in the past 10 days I have been able to get back into a consistant routine again. Back to yoga two weeks ago...first since that New Year's Day class. Boy, it feels good to be active again! Been back on the trike trainer a few times a week, starting up my upper body work more consistantly, and have ramped up my core work abit, and the exercises I do to focus on my right hip strength. And getting back to the treadmill and have already been able to add minutes to this work. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly it has been coming back to me. I think that I had "enough gas in my tank' so to speak to get me through the inactive time.

I've started to also ramp up my research on what e-assist I am getting for the trike. I have issues with the cost of a Bionx, plus not sure where that battery would go...if on the boom, it might cause more havoc for me with my knee caving in issues...and it would be too top heavy to put on a rack above my 700c wheel. I think I have settled on a Bafang 500w system. Saw a post on the Recumbent Trikes page from facebook, and after reading comments, I called Utah Trikes ( The GURUS of recumbent trikes...) and had a very good talk with one of the guys about e-assists in general. The Bafang will save me about $1K....and installation doesn't involve the boom. I am hoping it'll be what I need to get more miles in, and more enjoyment out of my rides. AND I can finally enjoy riding with my two wheeling friends. Anyone here have one?

Of course I write this as we are having the most wacky weather of very wet snow and wind.....supposely we are getting a foot of the stuff. Good for skiing! Got to use an iSki Bike recently at a ski area about 70 miles south of here. It really is the way I am going....just so much fun.. I've managed to get my mountain to allow these, so I am hopeful that next season I will be able to ski much more often, and without the immense fear that I have had with the 4 tracking these past three years. If the snow holds, I plan on getting up to Cannon Mountain in New Hampshire at the end of the season for one more run as I now have a contact there with two of these magnificent inventions.

Thanks for the kick in the pants, everyone!
    Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

Go for it Veronica! You will love it, I promise. It is also safer because you can get out of the way like at a “orange” light with a little turbo magic. Good luck.
      Alain

Comment

Veronica, the e-bike boost sounds intriguing. That would certainly be helpful even with my arm bike for hills. Or for hot afternoons if I bonk and need a little assist. But yeah, I've noticed they are not inexpensive. I might consider it with my next bike.

Getting out on the trail regularly, which will be even easier in the evening with daylight savings. Now it's easy to spin a dozen miles after work with Laura. The only potential hiccup is now I know lots of folks on the trail, and many want to say hi and chat. But I gotta crank!

Keep up the great work, everyone.
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

Getting motivated.

Here in Winnipeg there’s still lots of snow and the rivers are still frozen, and it’s been tough keeping up with gym routine, I so much prefer being outside! So to help with motivation I have signed up for the “Pain in the Assiniboine” urban adventure race Sunday, June 24th. Consists of a 32 km bike ride then jump in my kayak and paddle back to the start along the Assiniboine river, will be raising awareness and fundraising along the way as well

The race http://http://www.swampdonkeyar.com/pita/

Fundraising http://mssoc.convio.net/goto/KarenPITA

Does anyone else use Strava? Do we have an ActiveMSers group on Strava?

Cheers from “Winterpeg”
          Callenge life before life challenges you - from inside collar of my "Bike Off More Than You Chew" bike jersey

Comment

Just back from a couple of weeks of beach time in Florida. About 3 weeks ago we got 6 inches of snow then the temp turned way down and stayed there and I got the same head and chest crud Veronica had so the wife and I packed up and went south.

I am back and well now though and the real training for the Triple Bypass is starting. The schedule is 4 days a week of riding. Two easy days during the week and two back to back hard days on the weekends. It starts out easy but the escalation of time on the bike on the back to back days looks brutal. At any rate, I'm excited and ready to get going!

Cl3me, I like the strava idea, I'll see if I can resurrect my account. I had to get off of all of the online stuff because no one supported my computer system but I've fixed that now. My first ride is Sunday, I'll try to post it. I think Marina might be on there too.

Veronica, the weather back there! Hope your getting some slope time in.

TM, always love hearing from you, and really would like to know if you get the "Medical Marijuana" job (that term always sounded like an advertising jingle to me.)

Dave and Alain and Marina, good to see you're hanging in as always and hope you start seeing some benefit from the Ocrevus.

Later guys,

Larry

Comment

Triple Bypass training

Did the first ride of my Triple Bypass training schedule yesterday. 40 miles, a little over 3 hours, pretty flat. Tried to keep my heart rate down, concentrate on cadence and pedal stroke. Didn't do very good on any of it! Oh well, the training has started, there's no where to go but up!

It's posted on Strava under the name amf adventures for anyone who's interested.

When I told my coach, the Bullet, that I wanted to stop with the weight training, she said "no way, at least once a week", otherwise she's in agreement with the schedule. She's not riding with me due to health issues, but I'm happy to have her on board in any capacity.

Keeping on keeping on.

Larry

Comment

Hi All

I have been MIA for a little bit because I have been sidelined. Long story short, I have a right side Labrum tear. Its small enough that I will try PT and some modifications to see if I can work through. I just found out today, so I am still in the self-pity stage, but I will be back with a new routine (I hope).

Comment

So I haven't been on my bike for over a week and it's mega frustrating. I was traveling for a few days, but the real issue is that I injured myself exercising (again) like a dork.

I noticed my ribs catching/slipping on my right side while lifting. Most people would then stop doing that exercise. But I had already done the exact same exercise on my left and my brain couldn't comprehend that the two sides could be different. Now my chest hurts and I've got to rest, which suuucks. The I-haven't-been-exercising fatigue has been rolling in and I do not like it one bit.

While I'm on the mend, I hope to get inspiration from y'all...
                  Dave Bexfield
                  ActiveMSers

Comment

Bummer Marina and Dave, one of the hazards of being active I suppose. No one can accuse you of not trying. Hope you're back in form soon.

The last two weeks here have been great, in spite of a couple of snows. I managed a 26 mile ride with 2,500 feet of ascent last saturday in about 2.5 hrs. This Saturday I got 38 miles with 3,360 ft. in about 3.5 hours, which seemed to be pretty much my limit at the moment. That's ok, this is only the first of 4 training periods and I'm already 1/3 of the way to the Triple Bypass, 120 miles and 10,000 ft.! Next week will be intervals and skill set drills and then a recovery week before I start the 2nd training period.

I am also managing a weight workout about every 5 days. Light weights, lots of sets and lots of reps, and as few breaks as possible. Unfortunately, yoga has taken a bit of a back seat in favor of riding to accommodate snow storms.

On the recovery rides, I am noticing my speed rise slightly and my heart rate come down a bit. I also got my cadence back. My pedal stroke is still a little wonky and my strength and endurance are still coming back, but all in all, things are looking pretty good.

Hang in there guys and girls,

Larry
                    amf adventures - on strava

Comment

Originally posted by Marinadca View Post
                      Hi All

I have been MIA for a little bit because I have been sidelined. Long story short, I have a right side Labrum tear. Its small enough that I will try PT and some modifications to see if I can work through. I just found out today, so I am still in the self-pity stage, but I will be back with a new routine (I hope).
                      I thought I would share (people tell me that it will make me feel better so we shall see, I generally like to disappear) with a group of people who will understand the added layer to my sadness.

PT is progressing painfully (to me) slowly and at this point I can do about 30 minutes/6 miles on my bike. Going to that from my past level of activity is painful (and all my cardio avenues cause the same issues) at best. I worry that I have already been as fit as I will be and this worry is exacerbated by hugest worry with MS.

One of my biggest concerns is that MS will sideline me and stop me from doing what I want. So, in this case I am worried that I will never fully recover (or that I end up needing the surgery)...but even more then that I worry that if I ever do recover that my MS will "get" me.

There that does make me feel better to say it! Back to hiding for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Marinadca View Post
                        I thought I would share (people tell me that it will make me feel better so we shall see, I generally like to disappear) with a group of people who will understand the added layer to my sadness.

PT is progressing painfully (to me) slowly and at this point I can do about 30 minutes/6 miles on my bike. Going to that from my past level of activity is painful (and all my cardio avenues cause the same issues) at best. I worry that I have already been as fit as I will be and this worry is exacerbated by hugest worry with MS.

One of my biggest concerns is that MS will sideline me and stop me from doing what I want. So, in this case I am worried that I will never fully recover (or that I end up needing the surgery)...but even more then that I worry that if I ever do recover that my MS will "get" me.

There that does make me feel better to say it! Back to hiding for me.
                        I understand your frustration Marina, seems like not long ago I was in a similar situation. Sometimes we do need to take time for ourselves to concentrate on bringing ourself back to where we want to be. You certainly have my blessing, just know we'll be here for you if you need us. You are such a determined young woman, my guess is that you will be back in shape long before you might think.

Take care,
                        Larry

Comment

Just jumping on here to also give you my support, Marina. Also been there with non MS related injuries as you know, and have had the same concerns. Speaking for myself, when I have such an injury I can get momentarily very frustrated as it feels like " Isn't having MS enough??".... If only this was so, right?? Agree with Larry, that you can rise from this, conquer it, and move on and upward. Might be a tough road, but it IS do-able....especially since you have been in such good shape, and so physically active and committed to your routine. That'll help you through this..... Sending the good vibes your way....
                          Be thankful. Dream Big. Never Give Up.

Comment

You go, girl. I have no doubt that this will pass.

Beaming you vibes and a big hug.

Teena Marie

Comment

Thanks Larry, Veronica, and Teena.

I am very lucky to have this great community to lean on when I need it.

Comment

Marina, I'm right there with you. It's one thing to cope with MS, and another to deal with a slow-healing injury. But both? At the same time?! The nerve of my body!! Questions swirl, especially at night. Will I ever feel decent? I have to trust yes. But like you, the brain nags relentlessly when we are down.

Keep us posted and keep plodding. My ribs are slowly getting better, and I can ride my trike again without (much) pain, but I still have a ways to go. Frustrating doesn't begin to describe it....

Hugs, Marina, your bud,
                                Dave Bexfield
                                ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
                                X